Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 920 battery life issue

Registered Member
SteveGarib

Im also having battery trouble with my Nokia Lumia 920. I have had it for about a month now. Last night I charged my phone, I plugged it up before I went to sleep. when I woke up the battery was 100%. I left the phone in my locker all day at work. Eight hours latter with out touching the phone all day its stone cold dead? Why Nokia?

Please use plain text.
das32

Well, I seem to have resolved my battery issues by religiously closing apps using the back arrow rather than just hitting the home button.  Although this is annoying to have to remember at least it's restoring my battery life to a usable state.

However, I had my first experience with the phone heating up to an uncomfortable temperature yesterday after using Nokia Drive+ for about 20 minutes.  I was charging the phone at the same time, don't know if that had anything to do with it.  I've previously used Drive for over an hour without running into the heating issue (although it was not being charged simultaneously).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
atisho

I noticed that setting network type to anything other than automatic improves the battery life. The phone may keep searhing the best signal that may consume more power.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LadyX3

Could't agree more, I don't have good reception where I live, but when I am in town with 5 bar reception , my battery life is fantastic, at home with 1 or 2 bars, the phone is always searching. This has been the case with every phone I have had where I live. With only one bar the phone has to work twice as hard , and therefore battery drains.
Please use plain text.
Proximos

The bottom line is Nokia Customer Serive SUCKS.  They don't get a damn.  I called them numerous time and they said "THIS IS THE FIRST we hear of a battery issue or warm device issue". 

Such a nice phone but damn does the firmware or whatever the hell that's causing this sucks!

Way to go Nokia with your lack of support and F - customer support.  Last time I buy a nokia device.

Please use plain text.
Jetboi

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share my experiances after reading this forum and a few others. 

About a week back I purcahse a yellow 920 and have been experiancing the same issues, warm device and poor battery performance. Initally my phone would only last 6 hours, max was 12 hours. My battery drained from 35% from the time I went to be to dead when I woke up in the morning. I was about to throw my phone against a brick wall.  Now I do not know if this is all coincidental with the whole increased battery performance after a few days worth of use. 

intially I tried everything in this thread, 

Remove Facebook 

Remove Whatsapp 

Stop the nokia drive app from running in the background. 

Removed Gmail account. 

Turned off NFC

Untick the three check boxs in wifi prefs 

Turn touch diplay to normal instead of high. 

Drained my phone completely and charged it back up. 

After all this my phone was still behaving funny. For some reason it seemed as though something was still running in the background even though I could not see it.  My battery when not in use was still consuming 5 to 10% and when I did use it, it was consuming 20 - 40%. Eventually I found a post on WPCentral that suggested that I hard reset my phone. 

So I gave that a shot and kept everything that was suggested above as stated besides whatsapp and facebook which put back on my phone. So far my battery life has been fantastic! 

Today I took my phone off at 6:00 AM after allowing it to charge all night. 

• Used weaver for 40 minutes 
  • Listened to nokia music ( over wifi ) for an hour. 
  • Sent like 20 whatsapp messages. 
  • Checked facebook on and off.
  • Checked some emails 

It is now amlost 5:00 PM and I have only gone through 54% of my battery (battery life suggests that I will get another 23 hours out of my phone ). This is with my work exchange account on push and an outlook account on check every 30 minutes. 

This is a vast improvement over what I was initially getting. After I have enjoyed some time where I dont have to worry about my battery, I am going to start turning everything back on to see if anything causes any issues.

If anyone is interested I will let you know how it goes. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ankitm

I had a similar issue. I bought Lumia 920 (white) a week back and was very upset with battery life. I used to be 12 hours with low use (NFC, Bluetooth, location, Auto brightness, 3G off). I tried a lot of settings to find a solution but finally following has clicked:

- Uninstall Nokia Drive: it is in BETA for WP8 and guess is causing issues in terms of battery drain. I will install it only once its thru the beta phase

- Routing the GMAIL thru Outlook account

I charged by battery yesterday upto 92% before I pulled the plug at 11 PM. Till morning it was 88%. Not bad going by earlier experiance. Didnt charge it in the morning. By 7-30 PM, still had 38% juice and 9 hours left. 

Hope Nokia can resolve the Nokia Drive issue soon as its one of the USP.

Note: Before unistalling Nokia drive see it unpinning it from home screen works - just in case :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bit2in

Like everybody else here, I have the same issue. This is my 3rd Nokia 920. The 1st one I was able to exchange because it was within the 14 days exchange from the carrier. The 2nd one had the same issue but can't exchange it because it was past the 14 days. I called Nokia & was told to ship it back to them for analysis. After 2 weeks, my phone came back from them & a letter saying they did not see any fault with the tests they've done. I was frustrated because the issue was still there, so I called Nokia again & again they want me to shipped it back again. Thinking that what's the point of returning it while they did not find anything wrong the 1st time. I called Nokia Care & explained what happened. They send me a replacement phone. The replacement phone was better than thr 1st 2 I have but still not satisfied. Having various iPhone in 5 years & constantly using it without issue, this phone have serious battery problem. I've read blogs after blogs, Nokia & Microsoft recommendations on how to prolong it did not help. Almost all of the Apps are either off or blocked. Then I came across in one of the blog that she uninstalled all carrier's Apps & it helped her. I uninstalled mine & also minimized all my Tiles. To my amazement, battery improves tremendously. So, if your carrier have Apps, uninstall them. The 1st 2 920 only last anywhere from 5 to 8 hours of almost non use. My phone right now has been on for 9 hours with light use & the battery's showing 77% left. Hope it stays that way.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
iSymbian

Hi fellow Lumia 920 users. I bought a yellow nokia Lumia 920 just 5 days back. I absolutely love this yellow beast, but I am very concerned about its battery life. It seems to work fine on wifi, but on cellular 3g network, it doesnt even gimme 5 hrs of usage. I use WhatsApp but not so much that it should drain like that. Also, about the cellular signal, I have an iPhone 4 too, and it doesnt drain like that. I have all the settings switched off. Background tasks have been blocked except for battery sense. I am not quite sure what I should do. I am considering getting the battery replaced. Does anybody have a solution? Btw, I h

ave charged it 12 times as of now. Please suggest if you have something. Thanks. Enjoy your devices. :smileyhappy:)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bit2in

Although my 3rd Nokia 920 is better than the previuos 2 I have, I'm still not satisfied with the battery. I'm only getting 10 hours, compare it to the other 2 which I get between 6 to 8 hours. Just tired of calling, shipping & chatting with Nokia for the last 2 months. Searching the web, I found a new extended battery jacket for the Nokia 920. I purchased one so if you would like to buy one, here's the link. Hope it'll help people like me with this problem.

http://shop.brando.com/Power-Jacket-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-2200mAh_p08629c1463d003.html

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AlxZar

I have been a 920 user since November (ATT US), I noticed the battery problem was getting worst a couple of weeks ago (Jan 2013), then following other blogs I decided to uninstall apps restart the phone and check for a day if the battery problem was fixed.
I have my company outlook synchronizing frequently, but that was not the one...
My result: Facebook application has issues! just uninstall the app restart your phone and battery will last 2 days instead of the 4-6 hours that used to last for me.

There are some other faulty games also causing problems, I believe WP8 doesn't recycle properly the memory in faulty apps and threads still run in the background.
Please use plain text.
Shimoner

[ Edited ]

Had the phone for a couple of weeks, numerous charge cycles, no change - battery drain still an issue. Having said that, I have been testing the battery usage every which way I can and can at least say this - certain apps or combinations thereof cause whatever hardware component sits in the top-right corner of the phone to get warm and/or hot depending on how long you are running this app/apps. In my experience, once this happens the extreme battery drain begins and will continue until the phone is shut-off regardless of whether or not the apps in question are closed. As my house was cold for a couple of days I was able to observe that even when the top-right corner appears to have cooled down, it still emits more heat than it does when it never gets hot in the first place. When I powered the phone down in these conditions and restarted it, the top-right corner remained at room temperature until such time as I started playing a game  or running several apps in unison and it reheated all over again - this would restart the battery drain cycle. If this heat>drain cycle is in fact what is happening then it would appear likely that either WP8 is leaving apps hanging even when they appear closed or the hardware isn't responding properly - which either means that it is defective or might be capable of being corrected via a firmware/software update. To prempt possible concerns/queries, on days where I never worked the phone to the point of getting warm/hot I got great battery life (20+ hours) - on one such day both Nokia Drive (background) and NFC were running the entire day and evidently contributed to no significant battery drain. My general usage stats are the following:

- 25 minutes talk-time/day

- 20+ texts/day

- Whatsapp (which is very buggy and ocasionally seems to contribute to the heat if left open for a while)

- 30+ minutes of web-browsing with video

- 30+ minutes of music playback

- 4 news live tiles

- 15+ minutes on social hub

- E-Mail syncs every 15 minutes

I close every app when I'm done with it - Also note that this was my usage on both days when I got 20+ hours and those where a full charge would be depleted in 4-hours.

I hope this helps some of you and just to reiterate, I find that the problem disappears once the phone has been restarted, but will reappear with the heat in the top-right corner (I wonder if the LTE radio thing isn't there and this has something to do with apps using/overusing the internet/phone looking for reception).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rhietala13

Well, you could have a bad battery, but what you have going on sounds like mine when it was new.  The problem went away after I downloaded the software updates from Nokia and turned off the wi-fi when I am not using it. The battery life has been more than adequate for some months.  Even taking pictures with flash, sometimes as many as two dozen pictures or more, and using the phone all day, the battery is okay and usually ends the day with over half of the battery life left.  That is, the phone is on all day, but I usually actually use it an hour or two at most.  In fact, overall, the phone has been a great pleasure to use.  That initial battery problem was a serious concern at first, though.  I have also heard that this battery needs to go through some discharge-recharge cycles to develop full capacity, too, so that may have been some of my problem, and some of yours.  But the big difference, in my case, seemed to be the software updates. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kuldip2604

920 battery issue started from 6th 8the feb 2013

I was very much satisfied with battery life of my lumia 920, but from last 3-4 days my battery is dying within 3-4 hours. I charge it at night 2 and in the morning it will low battery sign on my mobile screen. I have been using this mobile for long time so i know all the ways to save battery. but it is not working. Nokia please help. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LadyX3

Re: 920 battery issue started from 6th 8the feb 2013

Funny you say that, as after I did the portico update, my battery kept dying just as quickly, and I was a bit concerned too, but now its terrific,took about 5 days to settle down, don;t know why, my phone seems slow to cope with updates as did this update on the 4th of feb, and yesterday noticed another new thing on my phone, ,as from yesterday my battery has hardly moved, used my phone quite heavily yesterday so am rather pleased now. Having said that, I have noticed the battery seems to drain more quickly in really hot weather, but think this is fairly common with lithium batteries,

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
antonyselva

Hi. I am using my lumia 920 for more than 3 weeks. I almost hated this phone because of battery problem. It was draining even in standby mode.  I tried to block all the application from running background. even though it continued. Yesterday evening my network provider had some internet issue and no internet working. I listened the battery was solid and same 98% even after 3 hours.  Then i tested, that i had disabled my data connection and seen in the morning. I listened after 8 hours of idle, my phone battery was drained for 1% only.  So data connection is the core issue of battery draining.  I suggest you too to do the same.

1. Disable data connection. Use only when needed. That would solve your issue 100%

Also i am going to report to nokia bout this issue. So that they can do the best to get most out of it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MCTronix

[ Edited ]

@Shimoner

I think you are on the right track.  It seems to me that there is either an issue with some app or with the phone not properly closing applications.  Perhaps an app (or more) are hanging and not closing all the way thereby running in the background even when closed.

I have not tried uninstalling FaceBook or turning off NFC or any of the other suggestions on this thread. 

This is what works for me:  If I notice that my phone is hot on the top right corner, I perform a soft reset (hold volume down and power buttons until the phone vibrates and then reboots).  After the soft reset, the phone cools down and battery life is improved greatly.  The problem does eventually come back after a day or so and I have to repeat the process.  This is a much better method that letting your phone completely drain and the results are the same.  Instant battery life improvement.  Just tunring the phone off may not solve the issue.  A soft-reset will definately terminate any apps or processes that are hung up.

I hope Microsoft and/or Nokia are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

Please use plain text.
floSSed

Hello,

Just a Note, I noticed when I turn off & on the phone my battery life increases....for example this morning when I woke up my phone was 61% & 8 hours of life (lastnight before I went to bed it was about 91%) then when I switdhed off/on the battery when up to 74% & 2 days of life left,

Whats going on? can some of you who have battery issues try turning off/on & see if there is any difference? is this a battery or hardware issue? or just some software glitches?

Thanks

flossed

Edit: I have the phone a little over 1 month now, fingers crossed I never had any random restart or freezes......did a few soft reset though....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
szaboagoston

Okay, here are my statistics. Brand new Lumia 920, came with Portico update, battery charged only after draining completely.
1st charge: lasts 9-10 hours with light-moderate use. Heating. (I get frustrated and google the problem, which leads me here.)
2nd charge: lasts 9-10 hours with light-moderate use. Heating. (Even more frustrated, but read also about that the Lithium battery needs a few charge cycles before getting optimal.)
3rd charge: lasts 6-7 hours with internet sharing turned on constantly. Heating. (Understandable)
4th charge: After 8 hours of light-moderate use, even internet sharing for 30 minutes, the battery is on 72%. No heating. (I'm relieved and happy for my new Lumia 920!)
I didn't do any "magic" settings or resets, I have 3 mail accounts pushing mails. NFC on or off doesn't make a difference. I'm on 3G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
stgemmy

[ Edited ]

Recently, my Lumia 920 (HK Region) gets portico update. However, the battery is not improved. The phone becomes warm or hot, unaccessable in my hand, I didn't play games or watch videos, just only checked emails, or using offline RSS reader app. I recorded a short video about this battery issue. http://youtu.be/XkXZbeTH8IQ

Please use plain text.