Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

920 battery life issue

Advisor
mlisan

920 battery life issue

Bought my 920 last week here in winnipeg,Manitoba Canada. I recently noticed the battery drains super fast, even in standby. Last night, it was around 75% before I went to sleep. I left it in my jacket and have the lock screen set at 30 seconds. Woke up this morning with the phone off and the battery completely dead.

I charged it back up to around 70% before having to leave the house. I checked it and it said 1 day left of battery life. Few minutes later it fell to 66% with only 5 hrs left of battery life. What is happening? I have everything off and in battery saving mode but it is still draining power fast. I tried restarting the phone as well

how do I send it in to have the battery replaced under warranty?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

Re: 920 battery life issue

Do you have much running in the background eg pulling email?

I've only just got mine today so will compare. However I do know that my Lumia 800 battery started poorly but did improve over time.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Couple of possibilities.

Firsty, lithium polymer batteries takes about a dozen charge cycles before they will achieve optimum performance. Your battery performance should continue to improve in that time.

Secondly, having just set up my own Lumia 920, I noticed that all my email accounts and social apps are set to sync and update every 30 minutes by default. You may want to consider changing this to manually or as long as possible.

Lastly, as with all new toys, I am sure you are playing with it and looking at it more often as usual. It is a pretty phone and I must admit I am tempted to touch it every few minutes to see the screen light up. Unfortunately, this is bad for battery life as as display that big requires lots of power.

I suggest checking the sync/update settings above for the moment and leave it for a while and see what it is like once everything settles down. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

I will second that mine seemed to drain fast today,its on its third day now so im going to give it some more time and see how it goes

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mlisan

[ Edited ]

thing is i dont have a data plan with my provider (rogers) so i dont see how my email or hotmail will try to sync when there is no network connection

i did however checked the sync status and turned off sync my email just now. i went to background task as well and turned off anything that is running in the background. last location is off, battery saver is always on, minimal apps, 30 seconds lock screen. everything that i know of to minimize power use

i hope you guys are right about the battery requiring charging cycles otherwise this phone is a fail if it drains power during standby. i almost woke up late today because the phone was dead = no alarm. could have been worse, like missing a reminder of important agendas

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a manual sync option for a Live or Hotmail account. There is one for an Exchange account though. So I've set my Live email account to sync daily rather than the 30 mins default.

Another thing I tend to do with all my phones is to put them into Flight mode before going to bed which turns off all radios (Wi-Fi, mobile data etc).

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mlisan

I set the sync setting to daily as well. Checking battery life again, it now says 9hrs left with 45% power. What gives? Is the battery or phone still calibrating?

also are those battery apps useful? One of them,says it drains the battery rapidly in a controlled manner which then,sets,it up for optimal battery life?

was I supposed to drain the battery till it died when I first got it? I used it till it was low but didn't completely drain the battery

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

mlisan wrote:

was I supposed to drain the battery till it died when I first got it? I used it till it was low but didn't completely drain the battery

You  didn't do anything wrong. Lithium ion batteries should not be drained completely or it may be difficult to charge back.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Yesterday..I fully charged my NL920 in the morning and the whole day was playing with it..trying different things like setting up, installing a few applications, music, photos, along with the usual browsing the internet and receiving sending mails, SMSs, calls, etc..and while I went to bed it showed 17% remaining. Today morning I did not check how much it was left with but it was still ON. I can't confirm since its already charging ..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I charged mine fully last night before I went to bed. Left it on overnight and had 95% remaining this morning. Not bad for the 1st charge. Will see what it does today. Biggest problem is I can't keep my hands off it. Someone should put a warning sticker on it that says "Warning! Do not buy this phone if you have something else to do" :smileyvery-happy:  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

cjlim wrote:

Biggest problem is I can't keep my hands off it. Someone should put a warning sticker on it that says "Warning! Do not buy this phone if you have something else to do" :smileyvery-happy:  

Same here, had lots of work yesterday and almost nothing got done, catching up today, luckily the boss is away on business !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Here's a setting to check on the Lumia 920 that may be using quite a bit of power:

Settings > WiFi > Advanced > Untick the three boxes if those features are of no use to you.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
mlisan

psycho, i've already done those

cjlim and farby - did u have your battery saver set to always on? default is 'conserve when low' and i suspect switching it to always on drained the battery. i know its odd but i noticed the issue only after i switched the battery saver feature to always on. could also be coincidence

anyway, i charged it fully yesterday evening. i went thru the phone a few times and texted, thats it. prior to bedtime, power was at 94%. woke up and its at 86%. much better but still not the 5% decrease cjlim reported
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

so far, got 5 hours and left with 51% battery left. I think that is pretty good at this point considering;

about 30 minutes of phone
exchange email syncs real time
3 other email sync every 30 minutes
about 50 texts and some voice texting as well.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gbx5

Hello mlisan, got my 920 just yesterday here in toronto.

I seem to be having the exact same issue, how are you faring now? Also question: did your phone come with a dead battery out of the box? Because mine did, and that is extremely bad for lithium batteries. EXTREMELY BAD NOKIA HOW DID YOU LET THIS ONE OUT THE DOOR????

It is enough evidence to make me consider a replacement. Please read this topic I started at:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/12qngw/abyssmal_battery_life_on_new_nokia_lumia_920/

for a summary of my first day experiences.

That is my lumia 920 that died 5 hours away from the wall, with minimal USAGE. EVEN though it is my first charge cycle, should I really expect to the battery to somehow magically grow healthy after 10 charge cycles?

Likely not =( the problem is I have no idea what I am going to do, Rogers are saying they won't even guarantee me a replacement, they will just refund me. Sigh.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

mlisan wrote:

cjlim and farby - did u have your battery saver set to always on? default is 'conserve when low' and i suspect switching it to always on drained the battery. i know its odd but i noticed the issue only after i switched the battery saver feature to always on. could also be coincidence

Battery saver is on default. Never touched it.I must say I have a very good 3G signal where I am. Not sure where you are etc, make sure the Highest connection speed setting is set to match the signals in your area. If you set it to 4G where the signal is poor or non existant then battery life will be affected. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

@mlisan & gbx5

It's highly likely that its down to your network... To test this you should leave everything on e.g. Wi-Fi, background tasks etc... but make sure its offline, if you can, put your sim in another phone but keep your 920 with you and use it over Wi-Fi if possible. You don't need to use it too much really but it'll give you some prospective as to how well the battery should perform.

it shouldn't be a long term problem so I wouldn't worry but what causes most battery issues is that its struggling to maintain a steady signal and if you do as I suggested you should notice a huge improvement in battery life, and if so its probably an issue with your local cell tower.

I experience this issue quite a lot and I work with a cell tower in direct line of sight, around 200 meters away and its very old therefore its prone to signal problems and every time I see it go to 2G I can guarantee that my battery will only last about 8-9 hours with little to no use

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gbx5

[ Edited ]

That is what I thought too, but it just doesn't seem right. My Iphone 5 would get me through most of the work day with the same signal strength with max usage, videos, feeds and surfing.

This 920 I did only texting, nothing else and it depleted after 4 hrs~ with battery-saver kicking in after 3.5 hours. Do you really think signal strength is crippling my battery to a mere third of its actual capability?

I'm not doubting you completely, I will indeed try your experiment. But what IF it really is my network? Does that mean I will always disable the data that I've payed for? I would rather go back to my iPhone.

/confused.

edit: Also if the culprit is because the 920 cannot handle weak signal as efficiently by design, then nokia is screwed. I'd rather hope my unit was a lemon cause I don't want them to go under. Nokia is great.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
matthew_maude

for me its usually a short term problem, 2 days at most...

it's not about it been on 2G or 3G, its when its constantly losing signal and switching between them :smileyfrustrated:

a good example for you is, this has happened to my Lumia 800 and N900 in the past... but a few weeks ago I went to a theme park where you have the same issue of poor signal because its too big and geographically a nightmare.
using my N900 to take photos and videos all day but with no sim, it only dropped to around 75%...
using the Lumia with sim, it died before the end of the day and I didn't make or receive any calls/texts and I only checked in on facebook once, I even had the Lumia on charge in the car to make sure it was at 100% for the day

©2012 DJ Matt

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gbx5

[ Edited ]

But that still seems like an issue with the phone's robustness, a problem that the iphone does not have, even on LTE. (And Excuse me for comparing the two, but I am an ex-iOS user, and I've never used android but my friends don't have battery issues with their Sg3 and gnexes). Also we are comparing iphones tiny 1400mah capacity to the 920's  2000mah.

We'll see I guess, I fully expect that I have a defective battery and will find a replacement somehow from rogers.

Please use plain text.