Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 920 in the UK on a contract

Contributor
capisco
Accepted Solution

920 in the UK on a contract

Just done my research and decided about my new phone to replace the old G1 (had many different Nokias before that) - it will be either Nokia 920 or Galaxy SIII - it was time to buy today ... looking around in the UK for this on a contract ... and surprise, surprise ... have found that Nokia has done the exclusivity deal with EE/Orange - the worst customer service ever (honestly I have or have had contracts with four networks and Orange in the UK is the worst one can get, it is mind blowing that they are still in business), repeated problems with coverage, very expensive 24 month plan (at least twice the cost of the phone), and the network I have promised myself and my family I'm never going back to .. well done Nokia, bravo ... so I'm not getting a WP in the near future because I cannot get it from decent networks I can trust. I have a question to Nokia - is the person who made this dumb business decision of locking sales of 920 wiht EE for Nokia still with the company or having collected the sabotage money from somewhere they have gone to greener pastures ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I think this decision a lot to do with EE being the first to the market with 4G, which is supported by the 920. However, no need to worry. Those exclusivity deal is only temporary and is ending soon, so you should be able to buy the 920 from any network soon. In the mean time, if you cant wait, you can always purchase one sim free and connect it to a sim only plan from any of the other networks. Just bear in mind that EE are the only ones supporting 4G for the moment. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Exactly, I believe the Lumia 920 is coming to Vodafone in the near future, although they don't have a 4G/LTE network yet. Only EE do.

Also, FWIW, EE's customer service is actually UK based, the people you speak to understand what you're saying and you can understand them without a babelfish in your ear.

While Orange is part of EE, as is T-Mobile, Orange is NOT EE itself. Nor is T-Mobile. I have had nothing but great experiences with EE since I took out the contract with my own Lumia 920, and if it has any bearing, their EU roaming charges are very good value for money.

Your mileage may vary, but I've always found 3UK to provide the most random network service and to have the least helpful customer service. That is, however, just my own experience.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

It's swings and roundabouts. I was on Orange years ago and they were awful, was with T-Mobile for a long time, briefly switched to Vodafone who were worse than Orange and went back to T-Mobile with few problems. Haven't actually had to deal with them since the 2 companies merged. You'll get horror stories about all the network providers. On the whole T-Mobile have been very good, the thing that caused me to switch briefly from T-Mobile turned out to be a glitch which was nothing to do with them. They're good at correcting mistakes if they happen and will usually apply a small credit when it happens. They also have the most sensible data roaming provisions. If you're out of your home country it is impossible to run up huge bills. The phone won't connect to the internet until you buy a £5 ,£10 or £20 roaming data top up and if you use it up you need to buy another. I've heard awful stories of other networks allowing huge bills to run up.

I don't know about being UK based customer service for EE but Orange's and T-Mobile 's definitely are not. From the accents I'd say India or as it's often women with very clear, good but American accented English, the Philippines. It doesn't really matter as they are actually very good.

As for network service it's very good where I live but parts of North east Scotland is a bit patchy but again it's swings and roundabouts.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
capisco

Thank you for comments, I guess it depends who you encounter ... I just got off the phone wiht Orange with my daugheter's Orange contract which came to an end ... and we are waiting for an unlock code ... have just only 18 days ! Each time conversation lasts at least 15 minutes, one time I waited 30 minutes. I do not care if support person sits in Edinburgh or Delhi - as long as they serve the customers well - my experience (and not only mine) with Orange - absolute disaster each time I had to deal with them. This cannot be a conicindence, can happen once, but 5 times ? It is the culture in that company and service by design, they are shafting their customers. EE has inherited their logo in the UK... so .. would not toucch again wiht a barge pole. T-mobile - had 3 contracts and mobile internet with them so far and was always happy, helpful and knowledgable staff at the outlet, customer service OK, the plans which suited the needs and priced reasonable. BUT once they merged with Orange I heard reports of coverage actually going worse.

Enough said about Orange UK ...

4G is actually worth nothing (to me, to EE probably yes, they can brag and charge) if you live or spend most of your time outside of London. Just checked EE 4G coverage where I live and work - and it says "not yet" .., right ... why then they want me to pay extra for it? And I'm not interested in having 4G .. I use the phone to call mainly and want the maps and Oulook sync, good diary, good experience. £500 for a new phone is quite a bit of money for most people (who are not Orange executives), so having that spread via contract IS an important factor when purchasing. I'm not sure if I have time to wait another month or two ... I will give it a week. Sorry for a frustrated negative view but I think Nokia (which I really liked in hte past) was shooting themselves in the foot with a decision to give exclusivity to EE.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
capisco

Probably ... Thanks for encouraging to wait. It was definitely worth it ! Now EE has no longer exclusivity in the UK.

The phone is really nice and so far great experience and easy to setup all I need. 

To close this thread - I got the phone from Three on "all you can eat data" plan - and local shop reps where absolutely brilliant with info (and I do NOT work for 3)... feel there will be a lot music streaming as have no breaks to stop me now.

Please use plain text.