Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

APN configuration problem, Lumia 800

Contributor
boulderbay

APN configuration problem, Lumia 800

Hi,

I bought my Lumia 800 from Orange France. It was sim-locked originally but got it unlocked with a genuine Orange France code a week ago with the intention to use it in the UK and CH.

I can use all sim-cards, calls, email, chat, apps, etc., all fine on wlan. But I cannot connect to the 3g network. I've discussed with both operators, checked/confirmed apn settings with both ops, turned wlan onoff, done two phone resets and more. To me seems the original apn settings are somehow still there, blocking the connection, but orange france insists it's unlocked. 

What are my options - try to return the phone, or wait for a way to configure the apn settings manually? Any way to 'hard reset' the apn settings? I heard about Network Setup app that was removed... 

Many thanks for any help

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Re: APN configuration problem, Lumia 800

Hi boulderbay,

It may that the settings have been saved on your phoen from the French operators. Have you tried putting your current sim card into your device and then Settings > About > Reset your phone, to perform a hard reset on the phone.

Please not this method will wipe everything off the phone, so be sure to back up your data before doing so.

Report back with your ourcome,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

@Hazey

The method you outlined has worked for some but it did not work for me when I tried it 3 times a few days ago. I tried all 3 resets methods. 

If you are trying this method, Sync your phone with Zune before hand which will make recovery much easier after resetting. 

A proper solution would be the Network Setup app which I am told will be re-released soon, I hope. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

cjlim wrote:

@Hazey

The method you outlined has worked for some but it did not work for me when I tried it 3 times a few days ago. I tried all 3 resets methods. 

If you are trying this method, Sync your phone with Zune before hand which will make recovery much easier after resetting. 

A proper solution would be the Network Setup app which I am told will be re-released soon, I hope. 

Thanks for the information!

Aslong as they provide solutions for boulderbay and others who have this problem.

:smileyhappy:

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
boulderbay

Thanks haZey and cjlim for your help so far. I have tried resetting the phone, around five times already (with different sims and without sim when resetting) -> no change, no 3G connection.

But I did some further testing:

- I tried my friends sim from yet another operator (Swisscom) and after setting the applicable apn connection worked great!

- I put my sim into another Lumia 800 and it worked great i.e. this is not sim specific issue... 

- I put the same friend's sim using the same operator that I have (Orange CH) into my Lumia and again no connection.

So, very strange, given that 3G worked well with another operator's sim but not on any Orange CH sim...Why can I set the apn for another operator but not for Orange CH connection? Also, as my friends Lumia is working well in the network it is not because carrier wouldn't 'support' this phone model.

Do you think Network Setup app would solve this, and any careful guess on when this would be available again? Any other tips or tricks?

Thanks again for any help!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The Network Setup app is supposed to let you set it up manually. I did not get a chance to see it myself before it was pulled pending a microsoft update. As usual Nokia don't give time frames for anything but I am guessing we will see it after the next update.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wiggly_wrangler

Hey boulderbay, are you able to send MMS abroad?
I bought my Lumia 800 from Orange France, too, it's still locked, I have 3G, but can't send MMS to the States.
Like you, I switched SIM cards and phones, but nothing worked. My card in an iPhone, in a HTC Android, in my Lumia, nada.
Tried a Mobicarte (PAYG Orange FR) SIM in my phone and it didn't work either.

Anyone know what the MMS APN for Orange FR is?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fatihdurgut

Hello guys,

I bought a sim free Nokia Lumia at UK. It works fine at UK but I'm back at home (Turkey )right now. And I have the same problem. I can make call, send sms but couldn't brows web. The applications which works with internet doesn't work. And when i tried to add APN from the cellular setting tab. It doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wietse1995

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody,

The Network Setup application will be released on 7 December. Before you can install the application you need to update your phone.
Nokia launch an update this week (Battery Improvements, bugfixes etc.).

After this update, you can download the Netwerk Setup application in the Marketplace.

Please, just be patient. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
boulderbay

I brought my lumia back to the shop. Will buy readily unlocked some sunny day. Good luck all!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peekay110

I cannot find the application you menitoned in Marketplace in Germany. Where can I get it and how is it called exactly? Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zulanu

Have the same problem in Russia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Bought my Lumia 800 sim-free in UK. Inserted UK sim (Three) and all was good. Went to Ireland and inserted my Meteor sim and found that calls and sms worked but could not get data. Thought it was a problem with the Meteor sim so I bought a Three.ie sim and that worked nicely...for two weeks.  Two days ago the data just stopped working and hasn't worked (for the Three.ie sim) since then. Just like with the Meteor sim I can call and sms, the problem is just data.  The sim works in my C6-01 for data though so I'm fairly sure the problem with with the Lumia's APNs. I have the latest firmware and have run the Network Setup app several times to no avail.

Help please?

Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

Fixed my data connection problem.

Settings->mobile network->add apn

APN: 3ireland.ie

Username: {blank}

Password: {blank}

Proxy server/URL: {blank}

Proxy port: {blank}

...and that's it, cellular data started working immediately.

I actually found that '3internet' also worked in the APN but obviously these two APNs are for Three Ireland.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
guntars00

You can't use Settings->mobile network->add apn to setup MMS. Normally operators has different APN settings for MMS and for data connection setup.

Please use plain text.