Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Advice for customers reporting higher than expecte...

Ex-Administrator (Retired)
michaels

Advice for customers reporting higher than expected battery consumption.

[ Edited ]

Some customers have reported battery life shorter than expected, a few others have reported device crashes. One possible cause which has been identified in the case of some customers reporting these symptoms has been that Nokia Drive has been used and is still operating in the background.

Unlike Windows Phone 7, the new Lumia models running Windows Phone 8 do not automatically freeze all apps when you open new apps without closing down those which are already open. One such app is Nokia Drive, which can contrubute to high power consumption if it is running along with several other apps. Always ensure that Drive is closed after use.

EDIT: Since we first published this information, Nokia has issued this statement:

"We have received reports of a small number of people experiencing unusual battery performance on their Nokia Lumia 920. This is not a concern being widely reported via our Nokia Care channels and feedback from many people is that the Nokia Lumia 920 enjoys great battery life for a high-end smartphone. We are investigating, but we currently suspect that some applications may be using power when left running in the background. While we learn more, we advise people when finished with an application to navigate away using the back button as this will close it rather than leaving it active in the background."

2nd EDIT: We have also received information that the game "Angry Birds: Star Wars" may also consume higher than expected power in the background if not properly closed. Games in general may have a high demand on system resources since many games test software and hardware to their limits in order to deliver an engaging, enjoyable and sometimes realistic experience; so we would strongly recommend that games are always closed properly after use.

How do I check if an app is still running?

Press and hold your phone's back button, this will display the list of currently open apps.

How do I close an app properly?

Close apps by pressing the back button as many times as necessary until the start screen or app menu is displayed. If you simply press the Start key, Drive remains open and running in the background.

Are there other precautions that I can take?

If you wish, you can prevent Drive from running in the background.by following these steps:

• Open Settings and scroll sideways to Applications
  • Select Background tasks
  • Select Nokia Drive
  • Select Block

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
astra2025

Re: Short battery life on Lumia 820/822/920? Check Nokia Drive

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Short battery life on Lumia 820/822/920? Check Nokia Drive

Additionally please be aware that the percentage indicator in Battery Saver settings is indicative only and will become more accurate over time. This value will fluctuate is energy usage increases or decreases greatly due to app use or system requirements. As time passes this fluctuation will level out.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
riffraffy

Re: Advice for customers reporting higher than expected battery consumption.

Can you please supply us with the code to access "Nokia Diagnostics" on the 920? This was a very useful tool to use with the 900, as it has a very accurate, real-time, charge/discharge (amp-meter) function. This will help users isolate battery-hungry apps, and whether or not to use them...

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

The diagnostics tool is no longer available in Windows Phone 8.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawood85

I got my lumia920 battery use almost 1%every minutes, i closed location serveice, Bluetooth, NFC, blocked all background apps even delete the weather shortcut!
All of this still useless, should i return my phone or to wait?

FYI,, i nevr play games in the phone!
Please use plain text.
barne19801

I purchased my nokia 820 5 days ago and i have since experienced very poor battery life.  After been out at work and returning home i have only 19-25% battery life left.  I work in an arae with strong network signal and i only use the phone for about 1 hour in that time browsing some internet and sending some messages.  I have wifi off, bluetooth off, nfc off, one email account synching once a day, screen timeout 30 seconds and screen brightnes set to auto.

I have also not even opened nokia drive, i have no games installed and very few other apps other than what is installed on the phone.  This is very poor indeed and im starting to wish i had not sold my galaxy s3.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Please see this post and if you feel your device is faulty return to your retailer who would be you first contact concerning this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
topper74

The advice from Nokia is a good one, but not working in my case. There is nothing running in the background and standby times are pretty good as long as you dont touch it.
But if you use the phone and play with it, the battery drains fast like crazy.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ayojayjo

Let your battery drain to 0%. Try turning it back on to make sure it is literally at 0%. When there is no life left, let the phone charge to 100% before turning it back on. Voila! 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Engr_Princess

My white nokia 920 's battery life is still subpar.  I have turned off everything (gps, nfc, wifi,blocked apps) I have even done a hard reset and lost my pics in the process.  This is just a case of a bad battery I think and will be returning my phone to AT&T tonight and getting a replacement.  I hope the replacement will put me in the 50% that are experiencing good battery life.  If not, I might have to get another phone and I really don't want to because I love my new lumia, but I need it to last me more than 5 hrs a day...which is the max i get out of the battery. And that was an improvement from the 4 hrs from the first days i got it.  If I make a phone call it gets hot and drops battery percentages at a fast rate.  If I am streaming music same thing.  If I am talking and surfing during my lunch time (45mins) my battery life dropped 40%!!! Please FIX.   this is the same battery life my Iphone 3gs gave me (a 3 yr old phone) i definately expect more from the 920.

Please use plain text.
barne19801

I purchased my lumia 820 5 days ago and have since experienced very poor battery life.  I have not once opened nokia drive, i have no games installed and i have wifi off while at work, bluetooth off, nfc off, screen on auto birigtness and screen timout on 30 seconds, i have one email account synching once a day.  After taking it off charge to got to work i am getting home 9 hours later with only 19-25% charge left.

I work in an area very close to a mobile mast and have strong signal all day.  i use the phone for about 1 hr in that time for a little browsing, reading a news feed and some text messages.

If i was to work a 12 hr shift this wouldnt even get me home.

I am a long time android user and have just come from a galaxy s3 and before that a galaxy s2 which had the same size screen and same size battery and it performed considerably better than this so far.  Besides this problem i think the phone is a fantastic device.

But i am starting to regret my move to nokia.  I would be very interested to know how other people are getting on with this devicde.

I had at first thought it was windows phone 8 but my little brother bought a htc 8x the same day as me and is getting considerably better battery life than me with similar usage.  Though he does have more options left switched on than i do so im slightly at a loss to as why hes getting better battery life than i am.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

ayojayjo wrote:

Let your battery drain to 0%. Try turning it back on to make sure it is literally at 0%. When there is no life left, let the phone charge to 100% before turning it back on. Voila! 

It is not a good idea to drain the battery completely. Previous generations of batteries might require this, but modern batteries do not and in fact may actually lose performance faster if you do. It is perfectly fine to charge at any time and for however long you can. In general and as posted before the percentage indicator in Settings is indicative and  not accurate enough to base any usage claims or conclusions on. This percentage will become more accurate over time, but will always be (somewhat) relative to recent use.

In general if you feel battery life is not as good as it should be you should contact your retailer.

Please use plain text.
sdclams

Mark me down as another one with the problem. Lumia 820, I always close apps after using them, but battery life is awful.  Yesterday I had to charge twice during the day just to get through the day. Went out last night and the phone died.  To add to the problem, plugged it into the wall charger that came with the unit, but it appears that it will not work when the phone has drained down to 100%, so this morning I woke up to a dead phone. The only way to charge it when it is at 0% is by connecting to PC.

I love the phone and I really want to make it work, but if I can't find a solution to this very soon, it goes back.

Another problem (unrelated to battery) that drives me crazy is problems using bluetooth with a few devices, but that is another (annoying) story.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sam87

Charged my phone last night before going to bed (2am), woke up today at 8am and it's down to 37%. Had nothing running in background, all the sync options were off.
Please use plain text.
barne19801

I charged my phone to full before bed and then left it alone, screen off and all apps closed.  When i woke up i had 14% battery drain in 7 hours.  I have strong signal so i would say thats about 2% an hour idle drain no use with strong signal.  Im not sure what it should be but its no where near stated figures for standby.

Please use plain text.
DreilingStL

Nokia, I can't do 2 years on contract w/ a phone that won't last half a day on standby. One of the sources of the problem seems to be Nokia Drive, which we're advised not to use. But the Nokia Drive app is one of a few value props that I used to choose the L920 over the 8X in the first place.

I'm not in the habit of giving a piece of consumer electronics 3 chances to be usable before switching, but I loved my L900 so much that I'm going to give Nokia one more chance. I'll be subbing out my existing device for a new one from the Microsoft Store (will be the second time I do this). If this one falls through, I'm done.

By the way, I am MUCH more tolerant and accepting than the average consumer. I love and understand the product (Windows Phone), but the target demo does not. First time adopters and those switching from other platforms will not be so accomodating, but will rather return the phone without a second though. This is not good, Nokia. Not good at all.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

I want to add that....Tap and Send(NFC connection) is by default ON so it should be switched off if it is not needed as Tap and Send behaves very similar to Blutooth and if it is on all the time then it can drain the battery fast.
Please use plain text.
imop2

I agree 100% what a dissapointment...i took a lot of grief picking this phone over the iphone 5 and now this....5 hour battery life!
Please use plain text.
Agbva

Had the battery drain issue for the first time yesterday on my 920; NFC and bluetooth both off, WiFi on but not connected to a network, 4 bars LTE. Without using the phone at all, it was warm to the touch and the battery was draining about 10% per hour, with no background apps.

I put the phone in airplane mode to let it cool off, then after about 30 mins, turned airplane mode off. Phone remained cool and battery drain went back to a more normal amount, about 2% per hour. 

Is it possible that one of the radios is getting 'stuck' on and running full time?

Please use plain text.