Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Advice for customers reporting higher than exp...

Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: Advice for customers reporting higher than expected battery consumption.

[ Edited ]

dalydose wrote:
I've had my phone three weeks now and it's having problems. That's plenty of cycles. Besides, I think that cycle business is for older types of batteries.

If you feel you're having problems return to your retailer or contact Nokia Care.

To be honest I think just about anything has been said and or posted on the topic by now, no need to go over it yet again.

And it's actually the modern batteries which will gain their optimal performance after a few charging cycles, as many reports here also confirm. Older batteries actually need to be charger fully before use and could not really be charged for any available time but needed to drain, then fully charge again.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ingeniokinetic

Hi Nokia

I hope you sort this out as I'm not using any of the cool features your phone has because it doesn't last 4hours and thats less than 20 min on the phone and minimal browsing, yes i have push email coming in but I'm not sending much stuff.

The phone is being swapped at AT+T tomorrow.

I'm sad because I really wanted to love this phone.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Short version;

Do your research and be constructive and inform us of your questions or queries a detailed as possible.

Long version;

Have you actually read the thread and the other threads on this subject available here? It seems you just hit reply on the first post, As has been indicated by a number of us due to the physical and electrical characteristics of the modern day batteries as used in a Lumia pone they will require a number of charge cycles to reach their full capacity and quality. A great many people here have now confirmed this is exactly whet happened for them.

I'd suggest you take a little time to actually read these threads and then, if you have any questions or suggestions, post a constructive post including possible steps you have taken and/or thing you have tried.

Finally it may always be a possibility there is something not 100% with the battery of your phone, in that case posting here will not get you much help as this is a user to user platform and you should then contact your retailer or Nokia Care by voice, mail or chat (where available) through the 'Contact us' section on this page.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tropolite

Hi

I've just set my Lumia 920 up and have been reading this thread and thought I'd report a 'possible' issue with further battery drain.

I've turned off NFC and Nokia Drive + Beta I've blocked from background use and battery saver is on when low.

This may be an issue; Find My Phone option in Settings page shows that the option is 'off' but if you open up the Find My Phone option the service is on, and my WindowsPhone webpage does in fact show this service as operational.

Could there be a loop being caused a drain shown off but on perhaps?

I have no idea if this would cause a problem - I'm just reporting this inconsistancy just in case.

(Very Nice Phone still!!)

Cheers

Tropolite

Cheers
tropolite
Please use plain text.
Advisor
joeynox

[ Edited ]

im on my 3rd 920 . the first 2 came from att and i sent them back due to  poor battery life. I emailed stephan Elop  and was sent out  a new cyan lumia 920. it was working perfectly fine until the recent updates and now my phones battery is draining faster than my last 2.  **bleep**!!! switching from the iphone to   the lumia 920 was the worst thing ive dont in a very long time. everything  is either off or set to  the lowest setting which means my smart phone is now retarded. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Joeking87

SOLUTION for me was to get my faulty Nokia replace - I also had the exact same issue as many people on this forum.

After purchasing my 920 Lumia the battery life died after 6 hours moderate use (this is after 1 charge cycle).

I followed the advice of forums across the internet to allow for 1 week usage, and multiple charge cycles.

My phone improved only SLIGHTLY.

Initially it did not last a day with light use

(Light use is defined as: smsing checking email once or twice a day, and 1 or 2 short 1 minute phone calls), all NFC was off, WIFI off, 3G connectino only, background apps off. Facebook uninstalled (to avoid server loop update issue)

To lasting roughly 14 hours on average (once again with VERY light use, if I used Nokia Drive it would fail much earlier)

After TWO weeks of struggling with the battery - I finally got it replaced for free by my Service Provider (in Australia)

NOW - my Nokia Lumia lasts for 2 DAYS! Furthermore - I have not adjusted ANY settings. NFC is on, ALL apps have background tasks on, Nokia Drive works fine.

Basically I believe it is a myth to "wait" for your phone to improve. Please replace it with a brand new phone to save yourself much heartache.

I love the design of the phone - I hope more people purchase Windows phone for the sake of the ecosystem - however Nokia really needs to look at it's quality assurance processes in their factories!!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

[ Edited ]

Oh my! If the SingTel red Lumia 920 I'm about to get next month is like this then the second batch of Lumia 920 with the Portico update may have more defective units than ever.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GraniteHill

[ Edited ]

Thank you, checking what apps are still running in the background and closing what wasn't being used was all I needed to increase my battery life and just an FYI my battery life was good anyway. I'm actually really surprised at the battery issues reported here, (I'm using an 810), and I have streamed music with Nokia Music while using Nokia Drive, used a Nokia Play 360 without placing my phone on my wireless charging stand and used other real time market and weather apps, etc. I have stated before that this is the best phone I've ever used and that was turned up a notch after using the tip on verifying what apps were still running in the background, thanks again:thumbsup:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Paul_A

Suggest that you try using another USB charger. I experienced the same and using an Apple USB charger (which I know regulates the charge properly) problem solved. I suspect the Nokia USB charger does not manage the charge properly. Hopefully your battery has not been damaged yet.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

I have tried various car chargers, but non of them can make the battery increase its level of chage whilst Nokia Drive+ is being used.

Sorry, i thought batteries are only damaged as they hit full charge with poor regulation and that whilst charging, the quicker the better; certainly no damage, when drain is greater than charge?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

[ Edited ]

As per Nokia's own advice, battery does NOT fully charge unless charged from a late generation wall wart. Do NOT use a computer USB port, and do not, especially, use an Apple charger, Apple has a custom protocol with its devices that regulates charge and it does not conform to USB standards. They say that battery does not fully charge, sometimes going as low as 80% while still displaying 100% if you do not use a standard charger (wall wart) that supplies at least 1000 mA, and that charge times may be also affected. I solved my Lumia 800 battery issues by switching from an older Nokia charger to a newer one and by letting the phone charge at least 4 hours after battery has been marked as 100%. Didn't make too much sense to me, but a user said it worked and it did. I'm fairly sure but not 100% that I saw this later on a Nokia post. I'm starting tests on mine, installed an app that monitors and logs battery level, so I'll see when it drains, and write down what I am doing. I suspect the backlight is buggy, because IMO a phone should not be hot while displaying the desktop in a poorly lit room, with light to Auto. Will come back with more info, including the biggest drains and more info on the light. IMO, while I don't expect this to beat the Lumia 800 which had an AMOLED and only a single core, but I do expect it to get me though the day with moderate use.

Moderator's notes: The post was edited. We removed inappropriate words used.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

IMNdi, if your phone is getting hot just displaying the screen there is something wrong with it so take it back for an exchange instead of manipulating the charging. I suppose your phone must have terrible battery life as its energy is mostly dissipayed as heat.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

a) I am happy with my battery if I charge it right with the right charger. b) I am happy with battery consumption, I am not happy with the power it eats while display is on and I am fairly sure it is because of a bug in the auto brightness, as IIRC Portico patches on of these issues, as well as Nokia adding a few settings for the phone going into nuclear fusion mode if the sensor thought it was bright. c) I'm yet to fiddle correctly with it (documented) and I am yet to restrain from playing games on it, as consumption varies greatly with the game. d) I am not happy with the fact that the percentage displays 100%. I play an hour, it displays 95%. That is obviously wrong. I play another hour, it displays 90%. Lock phone, put in pocket, 3 hours later is says 45%. I know what some games eat, and I used to get 3-4 hours of play off a charge on my L800 with a better screen. It eats right, it simply displays it in a delayed fashion. For average drain it's not bad but heavy drain loses the percentage. I hear this improves with time and patches. e) How do you people post formatted posts? My post gets all smooshed in one paragraph no matter what I do and the menu that is supposed to allow editing just takes me to the top of the page. In all browsers. Weird. Anyway, I was simply suggesting, for those who use the wrong charger, to use the right one - it may push life into battery. People getting 10 hours may get 13-14, which is average. I don't want to replace my phone because a) all my previous issues were fixed by software and b) the phone is still "coming soon" in Romania. Bet you 5 bucks they don't have a few laying around.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Why does it keep *doing that*? Also, didn't this forum used to have formatting buttons? All I have is a "post" button.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

I use the wall plug that came with my Nokia 920 for charging at home, but my problem is whilst in the car using Nokia Drive+ BETA and i use a 2.1amp car charger. I am happy to try a Nokia charger, but which model code is the best one for the 920?

the body of my phone becomes very warm when using Nokia Drive+ BETA, so perhaps its the screen or a few factors including the screen, GPS etc...

I hope Nokia can help me!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

I use the charger that came with Nokia N900, because it was a very sensitive device and the charger gives very nice, high quality power. It's also one of those wall warts, no connectors, just a wall wart with a cable. Never had any issues with it.
As I promised, here's my check-in with battery progress: Unplugged charger at a certain hour, I'll call it 0:00 to be consistent. Slept through 10 hours. During this, phone was unplugged, and locked, with the following: Wifi (WPA2-PSK)+notify me when wifi is around, Mail (15 minutes), chat (available), location ON, BT and NFC OFF, data link off, netwotk to 2G, manually set to Vodafone-RO. After 10 hours, battery showed 95%, unplugged 10 hours, ETA 9 hours. At 10:00, 2 alarms went off. Then, received a call, about 5 minutes, 2 SMSs and 1 chat line. At 10:05, I left home and used Nokia Drive+ Beta for approx 15 minutes. At 10:30, I left back, and used Nokia Drive for approx 10 minutes. At 11:00, I made 3 calls (short, ~1 minute), received 3 SMSs. Battery showed 92%. At 15:00, I went on the internet (wifi), read 3 mails, went to a site and generally navigated about 5 minutes. Unlocked it several times to check on power level. At 18:00, I checked battery level. It reads: 80%, Unplugged 18 hours, ETA 8 hours. Treatment of battery: Total cycles: ~25 Times fully discharged (phone turned off): 1 Times fully charged: ~23 Times fully charged, then left on charge: 1 After I saw the phone do 100%, I unplugged it and played a game for 15 minutes, to lean on the battery. Even though it showed 100%, I plugged it back and left it to charge for another 5 hours. As a result, I have 18 hours in standby, with what I call very light usage, and spent a total of 20 percent. Phone was left in idle for 2 hours before each check of percentage, so it wouldn't be off. I am confident I'm looking at 80% battery. Which means about 5 days light usage, more once power save kicks in. I have: Accounts: Live, Fb (light traffic), GMail (light traffic), Nokia Account INet Sharing: Off Lock screen: 3 minutes, all notification slots in use, background: image, use artist when playing: yes (but I always lock it by hand when done) BT: Off Wifi: on, notify, connected as needed to WPA2-PSK NFC: Off Cellular: 2G, data off, roaming off, network to manual (someone suggested this) Location: On Kids: Off Saver: on, turn when low Storage: 18G free Backup: All to ON Brightness: Automatic, *LOW* (opposed to auto HIGH before) Keyboard: 2 languages Find my phone: ON, cache my location ON Feedback ON -- XBox: ON. Auto-upload pics ON, full size. I stopped Whatsapp for this test. It uses a streaming slot, so, to kill it, use Stop Music. Background tasks: all off except weather flow. Pinned tile: by GPS so every 30 minutes it acquires location. Will run further tests.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

I use the charger that came with Nokia N900, because it was a very sensitive device and the charger gives very nice, high quality power. It's also one of those wall warts, no connectors, just a wall wart with a cable. Never had any issues with it.

As I promised, here's my check-in with battery progress:

Unplugged charger at a certain hour, I'll call it 0:00 to be consistent.

Slept through 10 hours. During this, phone was unplugged, and locked, with the following: Wifi (WPA2-PSK)+notify me when wifi is around, Mail (15 minutes), chat (available), location ON, BT and NFC OFF, data link off, netwotk to 2G, manually set to Vodafone-RO. After 10 hours, battery showed 95%, unplugged 10 hours, ETA 9 hours.

At 10:00, 2 alarms went off. Then, received a call, about 5 minutes, 2 SMSs and 1 chat line.
At 10:05, I left home and used Nokia Drive+ Beta for approx 15 minutes.
At 10:30, I left back, and used Nokia Drive for approx 10 minutes.
At 11:00, I made 3 calls (short, ~1 minute), received 3 SMSs. Battery showed 92%.

At 15:00, I went on the internet (wifi), read 3 mails, went to a site and generally navigated about 5 minutes. Unlocked it several times to check on power level.

At 18:00, I checked battery level. It reads: 80%, Unplugged 18 hours, ETA 8 hours.

Treatment of battery:

Total cycles: ~25
Times fully discharged (phone turned off): 1
Times fully charged: ~23
Times fully charged, then left on charge: 1

After I saw the phone do 100%, I unplugged it and played a game for 15 minutes, to lean on the battery. Even though it showed 100%, I plugged it back and left it to charge for another 5 hours. As a result, I have 18 hours in standby, with what I call very light usage, and spent a total of 20 percent. Phone was left in idle for 2 hours before each check of percentage, so it wouldn't be off. I am confident I'm looking at 80% battery. Which means about 5 days light usage, more once power save kicks in.
I have:
Accounts: Live, Fb (light traffic), GMail (light traffic), Nokia Account
INet Sharing: Off
Lock screen: 3 minutes, all notification slots in use, background: image, use artist when playing: yes (but I always lock it by hand when done)
BT: Off
Wifi: on, notify, connected as needed to WPA2-PSK
NFC: Off
Cellular: 2G, data off, roaming off, network to manual (someone suggested this)
Kids: Off
Saver: on, turn when low
Storage: 18G free
Backup: All to ON
Brightness: Automatic, *LOW* (opposed to auto HIGH before)
Keyboard: 2 languages
Find my phone: ON, cache my location ON
Feedback ON
--
XBox: ON. Auto-upload pics ON, full size.

I stopped Whatsapp for this test. It uses a streaming slot, so, to kill it, use Stop Music.
Background tasks: all off except weather flow. Pinned tile: by GPS so every 30 minutes it acquires location.

(fingers crossed) I think I know why formatting fails on the forum. With luck, this post will be formatted. If not, sorry, everyone, especially if I make a mod work harder.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

New data:

Phone unlocked, timeout set to infinite, light set to Auto-LOW, phone FACE UP in a room with 4 40W halogen lights: 2h, 30% lost.

Phone unlocked, timeout set to infinite, light set to Auto-LOW, phone FACE DOWN in a room with 4 40W halogen lights: 2h, 10% lost.

Even with phone set to auto-low, the brightness of the phone after a while is similar to medium. Even with phone to low-auto, unlocked in a dark environment, and with desktop set to dark+blue, I can read normal text by holding the phone 30-40 cm away from the page. This is NOT a good way to manage battery and, in fact, is too bright to use in a dark environment.

To use my phone as a book reader in the dark, I have to use application-level trickery such as making my paper gray in order to read without a headache. If light kits the sensor just once, it never goes dark until locked and unlocked, and the phone gets warm.

Another point I'd like to make is that 2 hours playing a lightweight game was indistinguishable from the consumption of just holding the phone unlocked. Which means that the current screen draw is massive compared to CPU, GPU, location, internet(wifi), cellular and so on and so forth.

There are at least 3 obvious bugs with the light on mt Lumia 920 black:

a) Low doesn't go as low as it should. Auto-low is low when in the dark, but low is just not low enough.

b) The phone still uses light sensor even when light is set to manual. It still brightens my phone, when off, and it still lights up and shuts down butons and the such. Lumia 800 didn't do this, and it was fine.

c) The light sensor works differently depending on where it was unlocked. When unlocked in the light, it never goes dark until put back in the pocket. Which means that if you have overhead lights and they shine on the sensor you get drain like nuts. Doesn't go dim and stuff like chatting that should take a little take a LOT. As you can see above, it drains at 15% an hour, when it should do 5. Which means that with little other usage I won't make it home.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jb_chump02

My Lumia 920 gets great battery life. It lasts all day and I usually have about 30-40% remaining before I plug in at night around 11pm. I use it frequently to browse the internet, play games, make calls every so often... I guess I lucked out because it seems that many people are having problems with theirs. I love it! Thanks Nokia for this great phone, Windows Phone 8 is so user friendly and beautiful to look at on the 920's amazing screen. I just hope some of the apps start coming along soon. I am a prior Android user from Sprint and I am so satisfied after switching to ATT w/ 4G LTE!!! This phone is so fast and their customer service is way faster and easier to deal with than Sprint's was. I always have 4G wherever I go! Again... great work Nokia, keep it up!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rick_faulkner

I wonder if you have checked the battery level having had it plugged into your car using the Nokia Drive+ for a few hours... Interesting to know what you find...

Please use plain text.