Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Alphanumeric texting???

Registered Member
Clueless79

Alphanumeric texting???

Can anyone tell me if there is an option for alphanumeric display for texting instead of QWERTY in the Lumia 520 please?

I've got one on a trial this week (my first touch screen phone!) and all I can find is QWERTY.  I know people will probably think I'm nuts as it seems to be all about QWERTY these days, but I can actually touch type and for me QWERTY is for computers and alphanumeric is for texting.  I'm fast at both of these in their own right and don't want to have to mess around trying to use a mini QWERTY display with just a couple of fingers. Have tried it and it just doesn't come nautrally.

If not the Lumia 520, does anyone know of any other touch phone that supports alphanumeric texting? Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Alphanumeric texting???

[ Edited ]

There are Keyboard apps available from the Store for this. Just search Keyboard in the Store. One of them is called T9-Keyboard

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Clueless79

Hi, Thanks for that.  I'm new to apps too!  Just been to the store though and it seems that the app doesn't integrate with your phone to work as a propper messaging system.  You have to type in the app, then paste the text into a text message.  And if someone responds, your subsequent reply defaults to the qwerty system.  Seems like too much copying and pasting for my liking.

Any idea of any other phones that let you use alphanumeric?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

have you tried using the voice recognition? it works awesome!
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.