Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Annoying elementary problems with Lumia 800

Counsellor
palaidniex
Accepted Solution

Annoying elementary problems with Lumia 800

[ Edited ]

Hello all from noKIA and microSoft...

Latest OS version upgraded 7.10.8773.98 but still elementary baby problems...

1. First incoming phone  call ring tone seconds are at full volume 30/30 despite Your setting... **bleep**??? Why these first seconds should be at full volume? Can somebody from noKIA and microSoft explain that?

2 Impossible to swish off phone ring tone AND vibrating thing. It vibrates in any version. **bleep**??? Why it is impossible to switch off EVERYTING sound and vibrato?

3. Where has gone so old but good thing of ring volume presets as older phones had Outside, Silence, Meeting etc? It was not so bad thing at all. Why it is thrown out?

4. On the phone with English settings there is Office in Russian... **bleep**??? How can I use all helps, descriptions etc of this soft if I do not understand that language?

5.  No possibility to download smaller world language keyboard layouts. Why it is so impossible if big brother Windows has it? Ok I understand that it is a "really huge problem" to have menus in world smaller languages (just copy the translations from older models - how hard it can be???)

6. And why all updates are so difficult, so user involving? Can somebody learn user friendliness in any angle from Apple?

Seams that You do not learn on your mistakes and going deeper in them from phone to phone!

P.S. And after latest update - seamed to not working promissed flip over for silencing the incoming lall ring tone...

Nokia 1611, 2210, 3110, 5110, 6210, 6310, 6310i (up to these models totally satisfied)
Then don't remember model, then E50 (mostly happy), then N97 mini - phone with briliant keyboard, but poor touchscreen, then business phone E07, phone that can not make a photo of contract, invoice or business card. poor design of usb port and 5 months at service did it - my nowadays phone is Apple. Company gave me Asha 300, so frustrating, that I use my old E50 instead...
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi palaidniex,

Thanks for your feedback.

The ringtone volume has been fixed in this version. It seems you have not updated the Nokia Firmware yet. The full update consists of multiple part with the Firmware being the last. If your firmware is still at 12070 (last number in Settings>About>more information 'Firmware revision number' you need to update that still.

You can turn off vibrate in 'Settings>ringtones+sounds'

Profiles were a part of Nokia Sx0 and Symbian OS. They are not implemented as such in Windows Phone

Office is a Windows Phone app and not part of the OS. It is available in several languages depending on the region the Phone is sold to. As this is a Microsoft product I suggest you contact their support on this.

I am not sure what you mean here, there are many keyboard layout languages available in Settings>keyboard. When you have selected multiple language you can toggle between them using the language key which is to the right of the space bar on the on screen keyboard.

The updates are as simple as waiting for the update notification on the phone and connecting to a PC or Mac to update through Zune or the Mac connector

As far as flip to silence goes, again it appears you have not yet updated the firmware. Did you update through Zune?

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

[ Edited ]

About ringtones - it was very useful profile option in "old and dead" Symbian. Please put Yourself in average life - You are in office - want to have very silent ringtones, not disturbing Your collegues, then You go out - again - not a few cilks, but holding the volume **bleep**...

Then You go into theater - want to swich off sound and vibro - again - not so easy few clicks... You have to go to phone settings find sound controls etc... and do this stuff... Very convinient... Why newer phone has worse solutions???

I'm from Latvia, so it is quite strange, that phone itself has only few menu languages in 21st century - except of course Latvian. How hard it can be to emit a phone already with regional language???

But about settings - regional settings are available in Latvia - few things are shown in Latvian, but no keyboard layout in this language - i've checked.... Seams strange. The windows for PC itself already for years is in Latvia and has Latvia keyboard layouts etc.. Why for the Phone OS it is so impossible?

And what for in Latvia Office is in Russian? For Russian office there is huge another country called - Russia... Why it is in Russian - the explanation is still not enough understandable... Russians even have another letters - totally different from Latin. Why we need in our country Russian office??? Think about that somefinnish guy in Finland buys phone and also have on phone Russian office... Efvery finn is just happy and says - this is what he is looking for - Russian office on phone that is sold in Finland for Finns... At leat phone could ack - what Office user wants - and change it while one of annoying long updates is proceeded...

About phone firmware... Do You think it is a normal thing that phone starts to work as it should only after long, annoying and at least three updates? For My country - Latvia - this firmware update is still not available... I've checked on Nokia page... there are 30 countries in Europe and Latvia is not listed...

The third question - I tried to copy phone book from old phone using contacts transfer - but I had to face a problem - BT does not work for that purposes despite that only this option is offered... Is it normal? Only possibility os offered through not supported data conection... Cool!

Isn't it a special thing to introduce in market not finished "beta" phones? So unfinished, not enough tested etc?

And you have to admit - Lumia 800 is not a cheep phone. Why people for that money do not have phone usable right from the box, but it means long updating, configuratinga and problems for big money???

Nokia 1611, 2210, 3110, 5110, 6210, 6310, 6310i (up to these models totally satisfied)
Then don't remember model, then E50 (mostly happy), then N97 mini - phone with briliant keyboard, but poor touchscreen, then business phone E07, phone that can not make a photo of contract, invoice or business card. poor design of usb port and 5 months at service did it - my nowadays phone is Apple. Company gave me Asha 300, so frustrating, that I use my old E50 instead...
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi again..

Your Lumia probably is from Russian origin, hence the Russian version of Office helptext. If you send me the phone IMEI (dial *#06#) in a personal message I can check for you.

Language support is part of the WIndows Phone OS and as such it is something you might want to take up with Microsoft.

On the phonebook copy, the sending phone needs to support the Phone Book Access Profile for the contacts transfer app to work. You can find more information on transfer of contacts in this thread.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

Contacts transfer was impossible between 6500C and tried with E07-00.

Both of these phones support that action

I tried both ways - receive phone book contacts and sending the contacst to Lumia...

BLuetooth was on but in both cases transfer problems occured. As I understood BT in Lumia 800 is for audio devices such as BT headset only...

And Why - if I buy Noilia phone I do select to whoom dedicate my questions. How I should know that OS problems are to windows, but some not, and hardware problems are to nokia, but some not... Does not look good...

Why it is not solved as one problem solver - doses not makes sence to whom I'm turning to...

Please use plain text.