Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Another person with headphone problems

Lutzie

Another person with headphone problems

Hello,

I've been looking around the forums, and I've seen that mod Kosh (Babylon 5 fan?) has gone to some effort to answer, but I'm still having problems. Apparently Lumia 800's (And presumably the other Lumia's) will only work with headphones that use an AHJ interface. Apple doesn't do this according to what I've read here. But according to Wikipedia, they do.

Still, today I went through no less than 6 pairs of headphones. None of them worked correctly on my Lumia 800. They playued sound, badly, but not one of the inline remotes would work. Although they were well out of my proce range I even tried headphones from Bose that cost £280. No joy. I remembered that Nokia teamed up with Monster to promote Lumia's a few weeks back, but Monsters don't work (Dr Dre ones)

So my question is... how on earth can you tell if a set of Headphones are AHJ compliant? Please don't link me to the nokia store; they're frankly overpriced, and I've found it myself anyway. The ones that ship with the 800 are frankly *laughable*. 

Can any one recommend any normal in ear headphones with a full inline remote (Track changes, mic and volume control) - just like the iPhone has?

So far this has been my biggest bug bear since switching from my iPhone 4, and the only fault I can level at Nokia (The rest being Microsofts problem with WinPhone 7.5)

Thanks,

Lutzie

Please use plain text.
Advisor
waqqas

I have used stock Lumia 710 headphones without issue (WH-208) as well as:

Nokia WH-902 (Stock Lumia 800?)
Stock Blackberry wired headset
Stock Apple iPhone headset

But here's the kicker: I had a really painful CRACK come from the headphones whenever I would initiate a phone call. I chatted with Nokia Support and the rep gave me the "crazy" idea of resetting the phone to fix the issue. Crazy as I thought he was, it fixed my issue.

Perhaps you want to try the same? Remember to back up your phone first.
Current Nokia: Rogers Lumia 710 Black (Unlocked) on Bell Mobility
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Liam2189

I don't know if my problem is related to the solution that was given to yours but I had a pair of Seinheisser headphones up until a couple of months a go and they died on me.

At the time I was unable to afford a decent pair of Seinheissers so settled on a pair of Skull Candy headphones. Now, a couple of weeks later my headphones do not work with my phone. Just my phone. Any headphones I use on the phone I have to physically hold into place in my phone for the sound quality to actually be acceptable.

Any suggestions as to why this could be?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.

While the iPhone uses the same pin connection on the headphone socket as the AHJ standard it does use a propriety system for using the mic and for the controls. This is why only the audio out works properly.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Lutzie

Hi Kosh,

Unfortunately no, that doens't help. Although it's an answer as to why this occurs, it doesn't help anyone find headphones that do work.

Apart from the Nokia purity headphones, does anyone know of any headphones with an in-line mic that work?

I've tried a pair of old Nokia ones and they didn't.

I also get the very annoying click with the headphones that were shipped in the box with the Lumia 800. How easy is it to do a full back up and reset of the phone? Do you do it through Zune? What doesn't back up? (SMS's etc?)

Thanks,

Lutzie

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi,

Most Android devices uses the same AHJ standard as Windows Phones does so these will work. Headphones for non Windows Phone device from Nokia will work using an adaptor which will switch the 2nd and 3rd ring on the plug. An example of such converter can be found here. You may want to search for a similar one available locally.

Another option would be a Bluetooth solution which are available with mic and controls on the receiver, allowing you to plug in any regular headset for audio out. For available accessories from Nokia see this webpage.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
AS147

Kosh, can you please escalate this issue to higher level management and let us know that they are dealing with it please as you don't seem to be getting the support or have the ability to provide a solution. So far it has been clearly identified that even if we buy the Nokia Purity (wh-20) in ear headphones that the controls do not work reliably unless the screen is unlocked and SWITCHED ON!!!

This is useless and frankly quite poor that after months of users asking politely for a solution that this has not been responded to with either a fix or even a confirmation that it is a known problem and being worked on.

I am not about to spend $1,000's of dollars on a phone, headphones, wireless chargers and stands and a set of power up NFC speakers if the Nokia headphones (the most basic of accessories) do not work as they should.

Do you really want senior MS folk and the anti Nokia/MS forums out there to know about this before you react?

Or do you want to do as you have in the past and do the right thing by your customer?

Quality and customer service is what you are known for so think hard about the implications of losing what little brand recognition and trust you have left.

If there is a more formal way to log a support ticket please let us know

I love my Lumia 800 and was about to launch into a multiple 920/820 handset and accessory purchase but you can be sure of three things

a) My continued full support and public and vocal recognition in the open blog sphere (you can search for any of my postings as proof of that support currently)

b) My lost custom if you do not respond appropriately (I have senior MS contacts I can also give feedback to)

c) My vocal condemnation of the lack of support on those same forums

Choose A or B&C

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dipayanster

[ Edited ]

I am using Sony MDREX220LP wired earphone with 25/30 volume setting (30/30 is too loud) in lumia 710 for music. sound quality is much better than stock lumia 710 or BH-111 bluetooth headsets (and much better than nokia 5230 with same sony earphone), but it does not have music forward/back/pause or call receive/reject or volume control buttons.

Please use plain text.
xmorera

+1 Here. Extremely **bleep** answer from Kosh. Especially because I had an HTC HD7 that worked perfectly with the Apple handset. If the HTC works, why doesn't it work with Lmuia 800?

C'mon! Customer support is helping a customer, not saying "sorry but no"
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
amit_deb

[ Edited ]

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4022
-look at the link, then u will understand why lumia headphones doesn't work on other phones, or normal headphones doesn't work on lumia phones.

so better i suggest to buy an adapter which solves this.

using that adapter u can use normal headphones on lumia perfectly as well as lumia headphones on normal phones.

i bought the adapter :  AD-87U                         -for my nokia 710.

u can contact me by mail. my id is: **********@live.com

Moderator's note: The email address was edited. It is not advisable to post personal information in the community for security purposes.

Please use plain text.
playfulangel14

Hi amit_deb,

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

Thank you for the information you've provided, this is much appreciated. This will be helpful for other users in these forum.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
garym11

The problem is not the jack standard.

Most third party headphones are made for iOS products. Any headphones made for iOS products will not work on Windows Phone 8.

iOS products use non standard signalling and control for button presses and mic usage.

Read this to understand:

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/17561_Jays_AB_headset_for_Windows_Ph.php

Blackberry headsets work just fine.

Please use plain text.