Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Audio problems with nokia lumia 928

Registered Member
careychico

Audio problems with nokia lumia 928

I am writing in regards to an extremely frustrating and worrysome problem with my nokia lumia 928. In fact, this is the third one I've exchanged for in the last 3 weeks. In all three cases, I've exhibited audio defects related to the speaker or the headphone jack. The last two phones, Including the one I received today, has an audio headphone jack defect which causes the audio output to fail after you listen through it once. All consecutive attempts to listen through the headphone jack do not produce output.

I have tried using the headphone jack with 3 separate audio cables to my cars (BMW X3 and SAAB 93) as well as a pair of headphones. All of my cables and headphones have been used without fail with my lumia 900. I also went back to the lumia 900 and retested the cables just to make sure the problem wasn't with my other systems.

So, in fact, what I have here, after 3 separate phones exchanged, is a recurring and absolute defect with the lumia 928--one that I cannot seem to find any other references to in the forums either on nokia or the verizon wireless website.

I am baffled and frustrated and forced to consider the fact that I will have to either revert back to my lumia 900 on att or exchange this phone with a lumia 822--which is not what I had in mind.

If anyone including Nokia is able to help guide me to the answer or inform me of an upcoming lumia 928 firmware patch that will resolve this issue, please don't hesitate. By the end of this week, I will be forced to return this device and make my next decision.

I cannot believe that Nokia would allow a defective lumia out of its doors. I certainly hope this is fixable or Nokia will help me.

Please use plain text.
Trekka

Re: Audio problems with nokia lumia 928

I have had the same issue, and am on my second handset.  Within days I have noticed similar issues with the second but it is not as bad as the first.  I love this model but it seems to be an issue and I am curious what information Nokia has about it and what the resolve will be.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Its possible these phones are in one batch,these things sadly happen from time to time and it will be resolved.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LatteDog

Just an FYI - my 928 (Black) and my wife's 928 (White) do not exhibit this problem and seem to work great with headphones. I think the bad batch theory is quite plausible. Definetly a warranty fix is in order for you.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
santos14

I have one black and wife the wife. No problem here. Love these phone....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vttym

I also have started having problems with my headphone jack - it will no longer detect headphones being inserted - it continues to play through the speaker. This happened on a day where in the morning on the way to work the jack worked, and on the way home it stopped.

My wife's phone (bought from a different store at a different time) has no issues.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
macgowan

I have the exact same problem. My audio jack worked fine and exhibited no issues at all, then it suddenly and inexplicably stopped working. I've only had this phone for about three weeks. I guess my only option is to exchange it for another and hope the next one is more reliable.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
PadreKing

I have this phone and after a software update now the sound is not workiing. Bluetooth works fine but the phone only vibrates and I have no alarms, phone ringing, or mp3 playing without the headset! Messaged Nokia support and waiting for reply. This is corporate phone and this problem may have us reset completely. Corporate rating: Poor phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
15gdm

My earpiece speaker went bad over the last few days and Verizon is sending me a new one.  I got my phone when Verizon first released them.  It seems like it started getting bad when I started plugging in and unpluggin ear phones....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
careychico

I am still having this problem. In one car, the workaround was to shut off the phone and restart with the audio jack still plugged in. After the phone reboots, the problem is gone. In my other car, if I try the same thing then it doesn't work still.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
CobraII

Same problem here. Phone ear piece sound dropped out almost immediately out of the box. Have to use speaker to make calls. Music output played for the first day then started dropping out. Now doesn't play unless the headset jack is in. Removing the headset gives me a few seconds of music then a crackle and no sound. New phone being sent by VZW.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
buttersh

My 928 has the same issue.  I bought it 3 weeks ago and right out of the box, the earpiece stopped working for about 20 seconds during my first call.  At first, I thought "boy, this LTE service is terrible", but it got worse fast, and didn't take me long to figure out that it was a problem with the phone not the service.  The earpiece speaker degraded quickly and was soon unusable.  I did notice that by pressing with my finger around where the camera is on the back, I could make the sound come and go, accompanied by crackling as it made and lost contact. 

I got the replacement today (a refurb) from Verizon.  It annoys me that even with the insurance, I was not given a new replacement, but oh well...

The replacement phone's earpiece seems to work.  I made a 1 hour call with it.  But there is this constant ticking in the earpiece that was not present on the phone that failed.  It's annoying but I suppose I'll have to live with it.  And it's kind of funny...  I told the first phone to wipe itself out and it has locked up in the process and won't reboot.

The bottom line is that Nokia has some serious quality issues with these phones.  If you must have one, make SURE to get the insurance from your carrier.

Please use plain text.
nottatech

I've had my 928 for about five weeks and was working fine, that is, until I used the headphone jack. I had the same problem as far as no sound thru the earpiece. I plugged the headphones in and and back out and everything was fine again. At that point I knew it was most likely a problem with the headphone jack and didn't use it hoping to get it checked out. A few days ago, same problem without using headphones. When I plugged in headphones, they worked fine. Unplugged them, and no sound thru the earpiece, no lock screen sounds, no music, etc. Planning on doing a hard reset on the phone anyway, I went ahead did it to see if this might correct the problem. No luck. I was ready to take the phone in to Verizon but decided to try something, suspecting the headphone jack was the problem. What I did fixed the problem at least for now. The problem seems to be for most cases the poorly constructed jack itself. When you plug into the jack, a small switch in the jack disconnects the phones speaker and you hear thru the headphones. When you unplug the headphones the switch should reconnect the speaker. There's your problem, most likely. It's not connecting back to the speaker. I'll tell you what I did and you can try this at your own risk if you like. Look at the top of the phone. With the jack on your left looking down into it, you should see a small button inside near the top on your left. With music playing, take a tiny, tiny screwdriver and gently (and I do mean gently) place it on top of the button pull it out (gently) towards the center of the jack. This will (or may) reconnect the phone speaker. Most likely you'll start to hear music from your phone again. If you don't, stop and just plan on taking in for service. I'll get my phone looked at as soon as I can and hope the next one isn't any worse. Mine is working again so I'll just leave it alone for now and not use the headphone jack. Other than this problem, I like the 928.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stevefrench85

I just got off the phone with Verizon to order my replacement. I was told that the problem is actually the SIM card tray. In some phones, it was unshielded and that was causing issues. Make sure when you order your replacement from VZW, that you do, in fact, replace the SIM card tray. My new phone will be here tomorrow so I hope that helps to resolve the problem.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tippyscanoe

I have the same problem as buttersh.

The earpiece is intermittant and sometimes you can get better results by pushing on the back of the phone while holding it up to your head. I have found that when there is more moisture in the air or when its raing there are more problems. leading me to believe there is an issue with contact with leads on the speaker. Definitly a design flaw. 

I'm now on my second phone, since the 928 came out. Version even rasied my insurance rate after the frist replcaement. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Theoworks

I've had 6 (yes six!) 928s, with lots of issues, over the last several months. Numbers four and five had audio issues.  Honestly, I am at the end of my wits with that model.  

I would love to understand how and when, hopefulley soon, these issues will be resolved....  I like Windows Phone OS capabilities, but the disruption of troubleshooting, diagnostics, and repeatedly setting up another phone has pushed me past the point where I can continue to be patient and reasonable.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DaredDarkurious

Has anyone from Nokia or Microsoft replied with a solution?

Please use plain text.
jgraves1107

Nokia seems to be using a cheap mfg for the jack. I have never seen such failure rates in a simple jack. It's like they are going backwards with quality.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
wanderist

stevefrench85 did your replacement have the shielded sim card tray? I got my phone new from verizon in early December and I am now having issues with the internal speaker dropping in and out. It started after a soft reboot because my screen froze in a call. It seems like 3 to 4 weeks is the usual point when this problem pops up.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ldevin2

I have had 3 replacements for audio drop out and like clockwork, 2 months into this last replacement the audio dropped out again.  So far the replacements have been 2 by VzW and one by Nokia.  Nobody wants to admit that there is a problem.  Additionally, they always send "certified like new", so if there is a bad batch or a fix, can't be sure that the recycle program is actually fixing the problem.  Neither of them will send a new phone which is terrible customer service after 3 replacements. 

they offer me different phones, but I want a windows phone and Nokia owns that market.

If anybody from Nokia would like to call me to discuss getting a new 928 I will gladly take that call.  You have my email, arrange for a call please!!11

Please use plain text.