Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Backing Up the Lumia 800 for a Hard Reset.

Advisor
KiwiVda
Accepted Solution

Backing Up the Lumia 800 for a Hard Reset.

Hi to all, I want to clean the phone after the update is coming, but I can't find a way to back up the data, images, and music!! 

Someone can tell me the procedure for hard resetting and backing up content? My old N85 was 100 time better than this new lumia on back up.

Thanks to all.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Re: Backing Up the Lumia 800 for a Hard Reset.

[ Edited ]

Hi KiwiVda,

There is no real need to backup as all your data will be synced. Contacts, calendar and tasks with your LiveID and mediafiles with Zune. When you update the Lumia a restore point will be created incase you need to go back. 

Apps can be downloaded again from Marketplace after a reset. There is a handy tool which, once setup, will do this for you. It is available in Marketplace and is called Reinstaller.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
frakuk1

Kosh thanks for the Reinstaller tip. I didn't even know this existed.

1. If you UPDATE the Lumia I think everything is retained including the text messages
  2. If you RESET the Lumia then you have to do as Kosh says except you will not retain any text messages or information / data saved in the apps, like favorites in Nokia Drive.
  3. Nokia need to create a total backup and restore solution similar to Apple. I think many people are so used to this idea, it is just expected to be there. Many adopting Windows Phone don't realize this. It a big shame and one that should very high on the priority list.
  4. At least with Nokia Suite and a symbian phone you can save your text messages.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
KiwiVda

Ok thanks for teh reply, but I also need to know how to hard reset it. 

Ok for the apps with reinstall, but for images videos and music?

And what about office suite files?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Two ways to reset phone.

1- Go to settings>System>About>Reset your phone.

2- Power off, then reboot holding Power, Volume Down and Camera buttons, hold all three once phone begins to boot release power ONLY and hold the others, phone will be hard reset.

Images, Music and Video can be synced with Zune on your PC and synced back after reset. Contacts Caledar etc will come back when you set up your live account again.

Sync Office files with SkyDrive and then everything is available to be put back on your phone .

Did mine about a week ago, and the only pain was redownloading apps, which took a while.

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
KiwiVda

Thanks a lot! :smileyhappy: Nice guy carman58
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Well glad it helps, and thanks for the complement :smileyembarrassed:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Cheated

Good answers for the children that want to back up music etc. How about adults? I got valuable info in my phone like pdf files, map files, general data etc. This data has nothing to do with Microsoft or marketplace. In the adult world this is a real thing. With Nokia phones before windows for children operating system this was easy task. Not any more?

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

You might be able to upload some of it to Skydrive or Evernote but your pdf files will go as it is completely impossible to do anything with them other than view them on the phone. Best you can do if they are still hosted on a website is to copy the link to the website and store it as a note on skydrive or Evernote but if the host removes the link you've had it. The management of pdfs is ridiculous.
Please use plain text.