Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Battery information and Tips for Lumia 820 and 920

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Battery information and Tips for Lumia 820 and 920

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

Here are some further tips you can try to increase your battery efficiency:

If you leave the Nokia Drive+ Beta app running in the background it drains the battery quite fast. The app will be run in the background and will continue for 4hrs before being stopped by OS. The user can disable the background tasks:

• Go to Settings – applications pivot (slide screen to left) – Background tasks
• Select application from the list
• Block (disable) the application from running in the background

The same thing can happen with some games left running in the background. This concerns especially games  Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars.

Please notice also that Remaining battery life (in Settings - Battery saver - battery information) percentage is actual remaining battery capacity, so this is exact. Estimated time remaining is an algorithm that learns the user behavior and changes the time based on that.
So if you are following this Estimate time remaining, it is especially low during the first days as when you take the phone into use, you normally download a lot of stuff etc and power usage is higher than normally. This will normalize when the phone has been in use a few days.

Many features in your Nokia Lumia phone increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. To save battery power, note the following:

1. Turn on Battery Saver. Select Settings > battery saver. Note when Battery Saver is on, your phone will no longer: automatically receive email and calendar updates, update some Live Tiles and allow apps to run in the background.
  2. When you have finished with an application or a game to navigate away, please use the Back key as this will close the app rather than leaving it active in the background.
  3. Set the screen switch off after 30 seconds. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings > Lock+wallpaper (lock screen) > Screen times out.
  4. Reduce the screen brightness. Select Settings brightness > Level. Disable the automatic feature first. The brightness level also affects the Automatically adjust functionality.
  5. Use network connections selectively. For example, if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power. If the 3G connection is on in the mobile network settings, your phone searches for the 3G network. To switch off the 3G connection, select Settings mobile network, and deactivate the 3G connection.
  6. Switch Bluetooth on only when you need it. Select Settings > Bluetooth.
  7. Use a WiFi connection to connect to the internet, rather than a mobile data (GPRS or 3G) connection. Stop your phone scanning for available Wi-Fi networks if those are not available. Select Settings > WiFi Off.
  8. When you are finished taking a picture, press the Back key to exit the camera viewfinder.
  9. Reduce the frequency of email synchronization. Select Settings > email+accounts YourEmail Download new content.
  10. Switch off location services if not needed – so the phone will not look up your location frequently in the background. Select Settings > location > Off.
  11. Disable unnecessary background applications. Especially Lumia 810, 820, 822 and 920 users; please check that Nokia Drive+ Beta app is blocked (set to Off) in background tasks. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings, from settings swipe left to Applications tab > Background tasks. 
  12. Use wired headphones, rather than the loudspeaker.
  13. Switch off unwanted sounds and functions, for example Vibrate. Select Settings > ringtones+sounds.
  14. Switch off “connect with Xbox LIVE” when not needed. Select Xbox LIVE Settings Connect with Xbox LIVE.
  15. Ensure your phone's battery is fully charged. Check Settings > battery saver battery information. Note that older chargers may not fully charge the battery.

Note 1: It is recommended to use the original charger found in the sales package to charge the battery of your phone.
Note 2: Make sure that your phone is running the latest software to get battery related improvements.

Also check out this video (English) on YouTube with instructions to save power on your Lumia.

If the battery drains faster even there is no active feature or applications, try to switch Off the power and then switch back On.  

Hope this helps

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Battery information and Tips for Lumia 820 and 920

It's also worth noting that leaving NFC switched on will also drain the battery. Go to Settings > Tap + Send and move the slider to the off position.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Did notice that whereas 920 arrived with AC-16X with 1.0A output, 820 supplied with AC-50X with 1.3A output for what it's worth.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

[ Edited ]

Maybe I'm lucky. But here's my experience.

With the Lumia 800, battery life was poor initially but after a couple of days it impoved, and again too with software updates.

920 now I've had for two weeks and it is the only device I use. Habit I had with all my phones for last couple of years, is to have them charging overnight, with alarms set and in main profile for calls (text on silent). Same still with 800 and 920. Though both happily went through the night if I didn't plug them in.

920 originally battery wasn't great, but improved daily after about 3-4 days. This morning I took it off charge at 07:00, and it's still going strong at 21:30. Been on wi-fi, 3g, phone calls & texts in/out, podcast update check download and playing, email and calendars syncing. A fair amount of speech to text for calling and sms. Whatsapp, NFC and Bluetooth on all day. Screen brightness on 'high', Timeout at 3 mins. Much use of Facebook. Twitter, internet browsing, email, Bluetooth transfer, NFC writing and reading. Taken a couple of photo's and videoes, some Youtube viewing, and about half hour of games. Cloud Backup for text messages 'On', transferred photo's to skydrive and downloaded OneNote while away from wifi. Used several apps a few times throughout the day on wifi and/or 3g. Been on the Store.

Battery says 18% and 12 hours remaining. I think time remaining is somewhat misleading (as it's based on recent usage I suspect), but the percentage seems reasonably accurate, having checked it throughout the day.  I plan to keep using it tonight for setting up more items on Nokia Reading, listening to music, some sms stuff, along with Facebook and Twitter mainly and will see when it dies.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

That's great Rich, thanks for sharing your usage patterns :smileyhappy:. Yeah i've just got aronud to turning my Location off in the Settings just then, i've always had it turned on and all Background tasks disabled except Battery Level For WP8. Always left reception on 3G, had it charging overnight on Flight Mode, then take it off the flight mode and wall outlet at 6am, by time I get home at 7pm its only got 15 or 18% remaining. Have a couple of two minute phone calls, 20 texts, five minutes of angry birds, ten minutes of web browsing, and couple of times syncing Hotmail.

Bluetooth, NFC, all off, along with all automatic backup and SkyDrive settings and uploads. Also do about 20min of eBook reading using Bookviser, which I think knocks Nokia Reading out of the park; also three or four hours of music listening thru earphones at work. Will try turning Automatic Brightness off and leaving the Location off and see how we go.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

It is important to note that battery life on windows phone 8 is also dependent on certain apps usage... From my 11 days of Lumia 920 I have so far noticed that some windows phone 7.5 apps seem to drain the battery.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Probably cos they're not optimised or the code has been re-written to take advantage of Windows Phone 8 yet, Donofworld. I can only presume Nokia Reading was taken off the Store to facilitate a re-write for Windows Phone 8.....I hope developers take notice and start doing the same with their older apps.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Yeah specific apps written for windows phone 7.5 like most of twitter clients etc apps which tend to run for longer period of time in background should be re-written for windows phone 8 for optimized performance and battery life.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Scallion

Has anyone else noticed dramatic drops after starting up City Lens?  Is there an easy way to shut down that app after using it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Yes, just click the Back button repeatedly until the City Lens app exits, that is the normal quitting of applications behavior in Windows Phone. To double-check that the app has quit, press and hold the Back button and it should not appear in the thumbnails of open apps.

I have now found that turning off Location in the Settings has significantly increased battery life, and I only turn it on for the occasional jaunt of GPS or what-not.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

Sounds stupid to swich off everything thatnmakes phone "smart"...

or befor using "smart" functions every time make annoing swiching on and after remember to swich off...

Even switch off vibration function... Why??? Every dumbphone has this function, but do not drain battery. And in addition to this every dumbphone ringer max volume is either really louder or made somehow easier to hear and vibrating function helps not to miss a call... "smartphons" is much more silent and removing vibro function definetly leads to phone call missinfg.

don' t you aggree?

Or I'm totally wrong?

Nokia 1611, 2210, 3110, 5110, 6210, 6310, 6310i (up to these models totally satisfied)
Then don't remember model, then E50 (mostly happy), then N97 mini - phone with briliant keyboard, but poor touchscreen, then business phone E07, phone that can not make a photo of contract, invoice or business card. poor design of usb port and 5 months at service did it - my nowadays phone is Apple. Company gave me Asha 300, so frustrating, that I use my old E50 instead...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
skylr616

[ Edited ]

@palaidniex

You would be right if that was what you actually had to do to get good battery life out of these phones. You do not.

The 920, in particular, is a very feature-rich device compared to pretty much every other smartphone on the market so if you turn on all that stuff you are going to use more power than every other smartphone. Obviously. Those are options that you do not need in order to get normal smartphone functionality. The problem seems to be that Nokia has chosen to turn all that stuff on by default when you don't really need it so folks are a little shell-shocked when they see their batteries draining. This is compounded by the fact that these phones seem to need a few recharge cycles to get full battery life.

Turn off NFC

Turn off Background Apps

Turn Brightness to Medium/Low or Auto**

...and, as with all Smartphones, if you don't use them you can turn WIFI, Bluetooth and/or the GPS. The detailed info the the OP is all good stuff but these few steps I've listed are all that is really necessary to get battery life comparable to other Smartphones.

**High uses a lot of power, keep in mind that in Auto mode the phone will automatically go to High in bright areas so you might get better results from Medium/Low... Medium works great for me.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
_pvn_

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bushaven

All these suggestions work. I have a Lumia 920 and use it for business. Make large amounts of calls daily. Charge overnight and disconnect in morning and then talk all day with some data usage for internet  weather etc and by around 6.00 pm have still 25-30% battery. Keep live tiles to a minimum and run minimum background tasks. Close everything when finished. Use Wifi, Bluetooth and Mobile Network Apps Tiles to toggle on and off when needed. Today played music from Nokia music (My music for 6 hours while working around home and still had 35% battery life (didnt have much phone usage). Used to do the same and run minimal widgets on my N8 with no wallpaper etc with same battery results. 

Please use plain text.
SVNS

Thanks Raoul for info. You might also want to add "put location info OFF" when not needed in your list. I see my 810 showing good improvement in battery usage when I put it off.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

SVNS wrote:

Thanks Raoul for info. You might also want to add "put location info OFF" when not needed in your list. I see my 810 showing good improvement in battery usage when I put it off.

Already included.. Refer No. 10

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Miriam2012

[ Edited ]

I ask for help. I am consuming Nokia for many years and got a Nokia Lumia 920 and an Iphone 5 in Italy. Returning to Brazil the Nokia device malfunctioned related to battery charge. It only happens when the battery dies all the load after that it no longer charges. I requested Nokia Brazil by phone for any help where indicated me 3 stores that no exist. I took the phone to local Nokia technical assistance without success where there are serious problems which always claim that the device is not yet being sold in Brazil and there is no guarantee here. No problem, I'll pay for it but no success yet. This is an absurd considering that Nokia should give international support for its devices. What can I do, please?
Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Moderator's note: Providing personal information is not allowed. Please follow the guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Nokia warranties are only valid in the couttry or region of purchace in the case of Europe. So because you bought the phone in Italy, the warranty is valid anywhere in Europe. If you have a friend living anywhere in Europe, you could send them the phone and perhaps they could bring it to a Nokia Care Point here for you. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arupriya

Can I change the battery of the 920 if it gets damaged

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

arupriya wrote:

Can I change the battery of the 920 if it gets damaged

Nokia Lumia 920 has an internal, non-removable battery ..so you can't change it yourself .. Need to take the device to Nokia Care

Please use plain text.