Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Battery information and Tips for Lumia 820 and...

Registered Member
arupriya

Re: Battery information and Tips for Lumia 820 and 920

Is the battery changeable or the whole mobile become unusable after the battery gets damaged

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you read the earlier post in responce to your query?

Yes..the Battery can be changed but not by the user. You need to get it done thru' Nokia Care ...

Please use plain text.
dmahone

I'm having a problem with my Lumia 820. After charging overnight, it won't start up.  I can't restart it by holding the power on/off button. I have found that it will start if I remove the battery and reinsert it. This happens whether I use the plug-in charger or the wireless charger. It happens with both of my batteries.

Is this a known problem, or do I have a defective unit?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

Simple answer dmahone: this is just a known problem for Lumia devices with a removable battery but certain Symbian phones with a removable battery also have this kind of charging problem.

But if you keep doing these battery removals and hard resets for your Lumia 820 then I think you may have a defective unit and you will need to take your phone to Nokia Care point for an assesment first then the Nokia Care staff may repair it for you or make a replacement.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Auto is unstable for me with pre-Portico L920. It sometimes sets light to medium for no reason. Also, with backlight set to auto and low ambient the phone gets warm. Especially in the top-right corner, near the back of the device for no reason. Locking and unlocking the phone fixes it and the phone cools right down. Setting backlight to manual-low fixes it, I can leave it for 6 minutes and it's cold, but with auto it gets hot in under 1 minute. Questions: a) Does your phone get hot with auto (while it is low) but not with low? b) Is it normal for L920 to get warm-hot with medium? I'm thinking the battery is larger than just the top right corner, so maybe it's not a light thing, but a software bug? Battery life is very poor with my L920, about half (or less) than what I got from L800. Same usage pattern, even a bit more conservative, and L800 got me through 2 days (if I forgot to charge it, it was 42-48% next morning) while I'm barely getting 14 hours on L920. Phone is hot all the time, even when on chat. I'm set to 2G, use an open wifi, no data over 2G, BT off, mail set to 15 minutes but my throughput is non-existent. I am quite conservative with my usage. I think there is a bug in the auto light.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
IMNdi

Sorry about the post above, the forum ate my formatting and won't let me edit on any of my 3 browsers.
Please use plain text.
dmahone

Actually, problem has gone away.

Lumia 820 battery now charges normally, doesn't force hard restart after charging.

Perhaps fixed by last update?

No more problems with it.  Battery life is excellent... only need to swap if I've been using hard all day long and am still out and around for a long evening.  If not using heavily, will easily last into the next day without a swap.

Sure is nice being able to simply swap in a fresh battery and keep going!!

Please use plain text.
coolesq

I've had my Lumia 920 for two weeks and suddenly two days ago it would not hold a charge and ran out overnight.  I followed the advice of the top poster here (turning off various background tasks, including Nokia drive beta, bluetooth and limiting email checks) and so far so good (just a few hours).  For those of you wanting to take back the phone and/or get an iPhone, I urge you to try the solutions herein.  I upgraded from the iPhone and although the app selection is not as great, the camera, memory capacity, display and live tiles are all improvements over my iPhone 4.    

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oldschool123

hello

how can i test my battery on lumia 920???

i know that battery goes quek but not that quik....

l

Please use plain text.
nim_ka

Hello,

i bought the 920 two weeks back and have since been noting poor battery life. I had given it to the Nokia Care centre and they returned it a day after guaranteeing it would be fine. But I don't see any difference. 

I got really frustrated and decided to track down the battery level for a day. Please go through the attachment and tell me if my lumia has really got a problem! I guess the battery should be better than this. 

I have been following all battery related forums for a while and I have done all the basic stuff said.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

You have been reading the wrong posts then.

Just keep using your phone, don't bother with the percentages and charge it when required. You'll see an improvement over time. WhatsApp is a known resource hog but that is not Nokias fault..

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
nim_ka

Today my phone lasted around 8 hours. From 100% to drainoff. I played games for about an hour, used some whatsapp and surfing and downloading apps for sometime. I don't really see much improvement honestly..I am planning to get it replaced.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goony

games and the whatsapp are quite heavy on battery usage, I find playing games is very draining on battery, however, I easily get a full day of usuage outa my 920. very rarely does it drop below 30% remaining....

thats with wifi on..3G on... Sync email hourly..  love it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
realwarder

It is not an App problem.

Yes, some apps may cause problems, but the primary drain is the OS or some core app.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goony

whatsapp runs in background using resources and battery....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Diggler

I was thinking of moving over to Lumia 920 but after reading about battery issues I think I will have to wait and see how things turns out. You should not have to worry about battery life should last a day unless you turn off everything on your phone. I think WP8 needs to mature and they will have to work on how to better control apps in background. Since the OS is pretty locked down there is not much room for developers to enhance the factory functions which means you have to rely on mighty old god to put enhancements in new updates. And those updates don't come around each month..

I noticed latest WP8 upgrade brings features like select multiple contacts when sending message, text replies to incoming calls. This is basic features which even the N9 had by default 2 years ago.

I will hang around with my N9 for time being. A wonderful phone which lacks latest HW and some apps but at least the community have made it possible to include functions so you can make your phone personal. And with pretty heavy use, exchange account and a second MS mail account continuously syncing, google calender syncing, facebook and twitter constant updates, 3G and WiFi always on. I usually go around for 18-24 hours. Bluetooth and NFC is off though and as with most multi-tasking os you can't leave some apps in the background. GPS is a battery drainer.

But I do like the 920 so I will follow it closely how Nokia but most of all MS enhance the phone stability and functions.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goony

I've had my lumia 920 for nearly a month, and have no issues with battery or performance, its an amazing phone. I have my wifi on, emails sync every hour, 3g on,and always have at least 60% battery left at end of the day..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eengy2k

What about the US version AT&T L920? There's no option to switch the network 3G & LTE, it's always connected to LTM, it's really waste battery lift!!!!!!!!!!!

Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gergelytamas

THE SOLUTION IS HERE!

From this website: http://mashable.com/2012/11/20/living-with-lumia-day-4-5-6/

"The good news is my battery life is significantly better than it was at the end of the week. After speaking with Microsoft, I followed their advice and uninstalled and reinstalled Skype and Facebook.

Apparently, there are issues with some apps and the way Windows Phone's servers are syncing data that has caused some phones to enter some kind of infinite loop, which stresses out the battery.

I don't know if those steps totally fixed the problem, but I did notice battery life was significantly improved — especially while idle.

I also followed some advice from other Windows Phone users on Twitter and installed the WPBench app and ran its battery tester. This ran down my battery (essentially giving it a full recharge cycle) and upon restart, I did notice the phone seemed a bit faster to charge."

Tamás Gergely from Hungary

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
touyara

if you switch off those function , WIFI, 3G , some back ground apps, so what is the point of this smart phone , turn them off that means turn your 920 to a brick phone!, comparing to iphone 5 with lower battery size, but I could turn on wifi , turn on 3G , it still ok for 6-10 hours, but 920 if I use 3G , it gave me 3-6 hours, so 920 has a bigger size and it must consume more power? I think we have to find out what is the main reason of this battery issues!
Please use plain text.