Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Black screen in Lumia 800 when making a call

Contributor
Anpat

Black screen in Lumia 800 when making a call

Hi,

When I'm trying to make a phone call (from contacts or hand dialed number) the screen goes black and it is not responsive any more until the other party hang up (plus 30seconds). I tried reboot phone, factory default, no screen protector; changing sim card in the phone gave the same problem. As soon as I hit the dial button screen is black.

Any help appreciated before I return my phone under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
catchsvix

Re: Black screen in Lumia 800 when making a call

check if u have a screen protector that's covering the proximity sensor

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Anpat,

Thanks for your feedback. 

What you are describing is often the result of a screen protector covering the proximity sensor. This will blank and lock the screen as soon as a call comes in or is set up. The reason is that e.g. when you hold the phone to your ear you could inadvertently select something on the screen.

If you use a screen protector or have the Lumia in a case check if the sensor is covered. The sensor is in the top-right corner on the front. You can use the diagnostic tool to check it's function. Dial ##634# and when the tool starts select the Proximity test. You should see a yellow circle which will turn green when you cover the sensor. If the circle comes up green straight away the sensor is either blocked or defective. Either remove the object covering the sensor or visit your supplier or a Nokia Care Point to have the device checked.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Anpat

Thanks all for the reply, altho i made clear in my problem discrition that i do NOT use a screen protector it is nice to see people not reading some parts,

As the person from Nokia said to perform the test . It failed (becomes green immidiatly) Now i need to find a Nokia check point in the neighborhood.

Thanks for the help

Please use plain text.
raptorfa22

Ive had the same problem, restarted, then hard reset and nothing!

For what it's worth..With mine, when I have finished a call and the screen is black I press and hold down on the top left corner of the screen and then it lights up so you can end the call. maybe something to do with the 800's curved glass? I don't know. 

Not ideal but, this is Nokia!!

Please use plain text.
whis305

I have the same problem as described by thread starter.

When i make a call, the screen automatically turns black.

I did the proximity sensor test and it initially shows a green dot but when I press pretty hard on the screen it sometimes turn yellow and some of those times it remains yellow and some of them it turns back to green again.

Anyone having an idea of what this can indicate? Connection errors?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ceebee6

Had the same problem as the thread starter. I use a screen protector. I dialled ##634# and followed the instructions given by Kosh. My proximity test showed mu circle was green. I cut away a piece from the top right of the screen protected and I'm thrilled to report IT WORKED! Hopefully it'll last!
Thank you
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slashhash

Same problem here. I do not use any screen protector or anything that would block the sensor. I have reset, formatted, etc, many times. Yet, after a phone call, my screen remains unresponsive for a good 30 seconds. I shall try to tap the sensor after a call.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

[ Edited ]

If you do not use a screen protector and performing the test mentioned in the post above gives you a constant green circle indicating an active sensor please contact a Nokia Care point for further assistance.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shikhar10882

Have applied all the available updates to my Lumia, still, if I have a call lasting for more than 2 mins, there is no way my screen will allow me to end it.. 

The only way is to wait for the other person to end it.. my screen remains blank black and totally unresponsive... even the hardware buttons.. 

And the scenario continues till the call is disconnected from the other end.. .

And.. yeh there is no screen protector covering the proximity sensor and the Proximity Test of Diagnostics pass satisfactorily. 

In fact the only protector accessory on the phone is the back cover that is provided in the box!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sherpa1967

have the same problem with a new phone surplied by nokia 4 weeks ago, everytime i make or recieve a call the screen gose blank and cannot end a call......have the nokia screen protecter on my phone and ran the proximity test and it   starts with yellow then turns green when i hold my finger over it... so cant see it being the screen protecter fauilt!!!.........wish i had gone over to a samsung now as i hate the microsoft software that runs this phone, have had nokias for over 15 years and never had as many problems with a phone as i have with this one

Please use plain text.
TweeklySenior

I have the same problem. My screen protector is not covering the sensor. I run the diagnostic test and get a yellow circle, which goes green when I get even close to covering the sensor. Then it returns to yellow when I move my hand away. A few tests shows that the sensor seems to detect my hand about 20cm above it , surely 2-3 cm is enough!

AND........ if I leave the phone on a desk, with nothing near it, the diagnostic starts to alternate between yellow and green without anything getting close to the sensor

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Grus

Still problems. This is really anoying. I amy drop the 920 buy cause I hate such idiotissues. It just take a lot of time, frustration and money.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
teajae

any educating words from Nokia about this problem ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Everything that needs to be said about this issues has been said in the posts above. It's either screen protector or Nokia Care Point. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ijaz_Rama

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem.  The only way screen comes back is if you rub the screen during call.  Fast finger or hand rubs.  Look like heat issue with touch screen. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Its nothing to do with heat.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Beckevon

Hi I have just had the same problem with my fiancee's lumia 800 and fixed it bye removing the screen and making sure the proximity sensor was firmly in it's place as must have moved slightly with a knock, you have 2 ribbons attached to screen and proximity sensor is the thin dark 1 that attaches to top corner just make sure it's in place, 100% worked for me, if you have never removed screen you tube has some great videos on how to do this. Good luck
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Wlado

I had the same problem (no cover of course and I SOLVED IT VERY SIMPLY and without removing of glass). I only removed sim card and blown inside the sim slot. I suppose that by it I cleaned the proximity sensor that is very close to sim slot. Sensor was probably covered by dust or some dirty parts. This occured after 6 months of using of 800 so it is likely that this was a reason. From the moment proximity sensor works perfect and I can end my calls :smileyhappy: . Good luck guys and do not diss Nokia because of banalities.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
leetheroy

Keep the sceen pressed in the middle your screen will return back

Please use plain text.