Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bluethooth Pairing

Mobile Guru

kevgallacher wrote:

Why would you need data transfer via Bluetooth? Is this really such a must have feature? My experience with Bluetooth is an extremely slow transfer, the only thing its good for is streaming audio. For data transfer WiFi beats it hands down. The only data you'd need to transfer can all be done through Zune with Wi-fi.

Funny, why so many people keep asking for it when they obviously shouldn't be needing it ? Clearly M$ know better what we need to use and what we don't.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

I'm not saying Microsoft know better, just asking what you need it for? I have had BT on phones before and have only used it for audio purposes, what other uses does it really have?
Why isn't wi-fi sufficient? I genuinely don't know why its such a problem.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

kevgallacher wrote:
I'm not saying Microsoft know better, just asking what you need it for? I have had BT on phones before and have only used it for audio purposes, what other uses does it really have?
Why isn't wi-fi sufficient? I genuinely don't know why its such a problem.

wifi isn't sufficient because both sender and receiver need to have access to it, which is very often not possible even if the two people are standing next to each other. If wifi is unavailable, then both need to use network data connections - not so fast and not free and also not always available. Same is valid for syncing with PC, to name a few popular uses, not to mention that the Lumia does not support a lot of audio bluetooth uses due to incomplete profile support.

If it's not a problem for you, great. That doesn't mean other people who need and use this functionality have no reason to complain. Those who do their research do not choose WP. The rest come here and to other forums to complain.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

Again what kind of data do you need to transfer?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Contacts, messages, photos, documents, videos, songs, ringtones, ..........

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

OK contacts I'll give you, it would be nice to send contacts via bluetooth but I can live with that.

(this may come in a future update)

Messsages/photos - what is wrong with SMS or e-mail?

Documents - again e-mail.

Videos/songs/ringtones - Windows Phone 7 is not setup to share video and songs in this manner so allowing data transfer via bluetooth wouldn't make a difference?

The main uses for bluetooth nowadays is for audio purposes and wireless mouse/keyboard and other peripherals but even that is less common than other wireless technology. To be honest Bluetooth is old technology, you may aswell complain that is doesn't have infrared data transfer.

WP7 has alway's been known to not allow data transfer in this way and most likely will never allow it, this isn't the only mainstream OS to do this. If these features are that important to you, you should have bought a more suitable phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

kevgallacher wrote:

WP7 has alway's been known to not allow data transfer in this way and most likely will never allow it, this isn't the only mainstream OS to do this. If these features are that important to you, you should have bought a more suitable phone.

Fully agree, which is why I do not have a WP phone.

There is nothing wrong with SMS or email, except that in the latter case you need again a data connection. One word in addition to the previous comments with regard to that  - roaming.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tomat

Hello. Can someone tell me, is it possible to pair Lumia 710 with BMW e90 iDrive. My 5800 works fine, but I have doubts about 710. Is it possible to view contacts or answer calls using iDrive?

Please use plain text.
runroy

Hi

I have BMW E61 2006  and Lumia 1520, it pairs ok and I see my contact list, I can call out/in, but handsfree not working, have to pull aside and talk in phone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

93tid wrote:

You can share a contact, photos, documents, videos and songs via bluetooth.

Don't know why you need to BT share a message. You can forward an SMS or copy it to an email.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

garym11 wrote:

93tid wrote:

You can share a contact, photos, documents, videos and songs via bluetooth.

Don't know why you need to BT share a message. You can forward an SMS or copy it to an email.

Appreciate your response to something from two years ago, we have all learned a lot since then, plus WP7.5 are hardly that topical now.
Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

My bad. I didn't look at the posting date.

I wouldn't have replied if I had done so.

Please use plain text.