Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bluetooth present but File Transfer Absent in ...

Advisor
Muneeb_NL710

Bluetooth present but File Transfer Absent in Nokia Lumia 710

I had purchased a NL710 two months ago and it is very different from others, especially s60v5 ( Nokia 5800 xpressmusic ) which i was using previously.
The only thing that Gives me a shame is when my friends ask me to capture their images with my Smartphone and SEND IT TO THEM VIA BLUETOOTH. I can't because my SMARTPHONE does not have BTF. They start laughing at me. **bleep**.
I don't know that if MS will add it later but i was unable to get any rumours of BTF IN WP8. In Developing Countries Specially mine i.e. India there are daily 4-5 Files transferred with Bluetooth among us. So it's a big pain after paying for getting the full experience out of a NOKIA.
I Think Nokia should Add it to their Lumia's by adding it directly to WP or Release a Software for sending files....
Sounds Good...
If Yes then please make a comment on my Topic and if No please let us know why....?
Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: Bluetooth present but File Transfer Absent in Nokia Lumia 710

Next time just say

"bluetooth is so 2003....i'll upload it to the cloud then you can download it from anywhere...get with the times guys"
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I hope you're just kidding about that. Or, you've never traveled around India very much.

For most people there, the cloud is meaningless. I'm sure some people use and like it, but the overwhelming majority share files one to another via Bluetooth, and if your phone won't work with Bluetooth transfer, you're just plain out of the loop.

Get with the times? Maybe, but not in South India. ...not to mention that there are many places in India with no mobile service at all, let alone no data service.

(I'm in Miami right now, and I have no use for "the cloud". I want my data right here, where I can always get to it. In India, I'm lucky to be able to get "data" at all, let alone a reliable data connection that I can count on.)
Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

It is not a feature of WP.  Mircosoft should has listened to most people in the world, especially it has launched another WP series for developing countires.  Not every place of the world lucky enough has unlimited data and network coverage.  Bluetooth file transfer is one of best method to transfer file wirelessly and freely.  Bluetooth technology has been widely used for years.  Hope Microsoft may add this feature into WP and let everyone in every part of the world enjoy this cheap and convenient technology.

angler
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

No I'm not kidding!

Obviously we can't rewrite the OS to add it in so instead of letting them make fun of you for not having bluetooth...make them feel like the 

Flip it around on them! It's not my fault india can't get a decent mobile infrastructure working.

Moderators notes: Inflammatory remark removed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Muneeb_NL710

Hey BFT is very usefull technology and symbian, android and other Os ( accept Wp & iOs ) all use it to give their owners full experience. And stop saying to upload my files to cloud, In India and other developing countries BLUETOOTH FILE TRANSFER is Compulsory and you can also see a china Mobile with a BFT then why Not the Worlds No.1 Company can't do it, they can request MS to add it. It is a small feature but it has lots of Use in atleast Indians life.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Muneeb_NL710

[ Edited ]

@mkr10001 i think you have not used symbian yet. Cloud is just a waste of time.
And we can use bluetooth in lumia's for pairing with Headsets,etc. But we don't need that. I think NL710 should be at the price of Rs. 5000/- and NL800 at the price of Rs. 10,000/- .
Well if Nokia or MS do not at it to it's OS then i will move to Android ( Not a fan of it but it will give me the freedom to do whatever i want with it) or Symbian if New 

Moderators notes: Comments on rumors and unannounced products are not allowed in the forums

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

Well you think wrong. I've used symbian since 2003. People need to realise and accept that WP is NOT symbian so stop trying to compare it.

They are writte by two completely different companies. You should do your research beore buying products first.

Cloud is not a waste of time. Open your eyes and take a look around. Nearly everybody is using the cloud now. amazon. apple. google. microsoft. dropbox. you are blind to technology. You think it's a waste of time to be able to access your files from any device anywhere inthe worlrd?

I admit bluetooth file transfer should be on the phone but no one has asked me to bluetooth a file since I was 14.......

Coming on here  isn't going to get you bluetooth file transfer. Saying the cloud is a wate of time is ignorant.

Moderators notes: Inflammatory remarks removed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Muneeb_NL710

@mkr10001 maybe you use cloud services and i too used them but, once again I'm saying that adding a feature has no problems for such a big company and it is widely used in Developing Countries.
And Cloud Requires uploading, then downloading on other phones which is wastage of time, its good but time consuming.
While in bluetooth just on it and click on send, it gets finished.
Now plz estimate the time for both cloud transfer and Bluetooth transfer..
Please use plain text.
Professor

Cloud isn't about speed. It's about convenience. Why have it in one place and have to keep copying it everywhere you want it? With the cloud you can have it in once place and it's already everywhere.

Instead why don't we estimate the time to send a video to 5 of your friends?

Bluetooth - five transfers.
Cloud - One upload and let them each download when and where they want.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Muneeb_NL710

In India,
Bluetooth = 7-12 Min.
Cloud = Uploading = 6-9 Min.
Downloading = 6-9 Min.
Total = 12-18 Min.

What are your calculations...?
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

I have no calculations .....not sure what you are transferring though that takes 12 minutes or even 6-9 minutes to upload via your dial up connection powered by steam......

Also.....7-12 minutes for every person you send it to...

uploading 6-9 minutes ONCE then your friend can download it on any device they want.

Cloud wins by miles

Moderators notes: Inflammatory remarks removed. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

Who still sells more dumphones than smartphones? Nokia? Ok what's your point?

Few people know what that is? If you are buying a smartphone you know exactly what skydrive and drop box are. You are underestimating the average joe. 

No data is not free but it's dirt cheap these days. Clearly not as many people give a about bluetooth as there is a "where is my bluetooth?" thread on here once in a blue moon.

iPhone don't support bluetooth file transfer ( as far as i am aware) and it hasn't hurt their sales one jot.

You need to move on and accept that it isn't there and the majority of people just do. not. care.

Moderators notes: Inflammatory remarks removed. Can we please keep a sense respect for one another and there opinions

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

, is top line Nokia and it has good screen, not because there is some "skydrive" and dropbox krap which they don't care about. Bringing here Iphone is irrelevant, it never had bluetooth file transfer out of the box, unlike Nokia devices.

And no, total world sales, and not only Nokia.

And most people buy Iphone for similar reason, it looks very good, also many think "it's cool" and btw, unlike Lumia 800 it has really good camera (unfortunately, that's a reason Lumia is missing)

Do you think people have nothing better to do than learn about something called "skydrive" and dropbox? I think they have better things to do than waste their time on this nonsense.

, read this piece by Tomy Ahonen, who is ex Nokia executive.

Quotes

"Bluetooth is the most used data transfer method in many countries"

http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2012/03/disappointed-buyer-returned-lumia-salespeople-a...

Moderators notes: Disrespectful tone removed, also making assumptions of what most users want has been removed also.

Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

"Do you think people have nothing better to do than learn about something called "skydrive" and dropbox? I think they have better things to do than waste their time on this nonsense."

hardly wasting their time. 

Moderators notes: Disrespectful tone and inflammatory remarks removed. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Well, name calling is counterpriductive.  You don't have any viable arguments, nence all you do is name calling.
What you post is nonsense, there is no common sense in what you post, and there is no logic. I don't need "dropbox" or "skydrive"  just to send photo to my friend, or my wife who is sitting next to me, that's what bluetooth is for, and other manufacturers offer it.

And you're right, I didn't read up on the phone because i was buying new top line Nokia, 

Moderators notes: Unfounded and baseless comment removed. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
angler

What is truth?  I wonder Microsoft philosophy is to let everyone can enjoy the technology.  There is no sign bluetooth is out of date.  Why that everyone has to use cloud service in order to show it is modern technology.  What is convenience?  In terms of time and expenses, bluetooth transfer is better than cloud service.  We see Microsoft is selling different line of WP in defferent places.  There are lower end of WP selling in developing countries.  There are large portion of world population are still using bluetooth technology.  Why is WP limiting to this so called modern technology - cloud service only to transfer file?  Not that everyone in the world are lucky enough to have cloud service so freely.  Is this what Microsoft philosophy that only the rich people can enjoy smart phone?  I question why Micorsoft engineer even think about what is technology?

angler
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Muneeb_NL710

Hey mkr10001 and orka please both of you cool down.

The Thread is seriously discussed on Windows Phone Feedback Forum ( user voice ) and Microsoft is serious about that.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/1549711-support-blue...

Please GIVE YOUR VOTES AND COMMENT on the Thread.

Remember that your votes will give Birth to the Most Wanted Feature in WP.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

After reading some comments made on this thread I have had edited some posts and removed some also due to nature of content.

Firstly if we can keep a sense of respect to one another as this is a user discussion forum and therefore we expect a certain of level of manners to one another.

Also we value all opinions whether you may agree on them or not but what we do ask that any opinions made are based on fact and not speculation.

Furthermore any post made needs to be on topic and relevant to the thread there posted on.

For further guidance please refer to the guidelines for these forums on the below link:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Discussions-Guidelines/Guidelines-read-these-first/td-p/1

Also just to clarify the Lumia 710 devices supports the current Bluetooth profiles:

A2DP 1.2,
AVCTP 1.0,
AVCTP 1.3,
AVDTP 1.0,
AVDTP 1.2,
AVRCP 1.0,
GAP,
GAVDP 1.2,
HFP 1.5,
HSP 1.1,
IOP,
L2CAP,
PBAP 1.0,
RFCOMM 1.0,
SDP

You can find out more on what these protcols mean on the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

Also you can find out more on technical specifications on the following link:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_710/

Thank you for your understanding on this.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.