Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Broke the screen while opening Lumia 520

delhi160
Accepted Solution

Broke the screen while opening Lumia 520

I broke my brand new Lumia 520 screen while opening due to its bad design. It was mentioned to use the finger nail and pull up the screen. And the screen broke in 1st try.

Pretty disappointed with the design of the phone. Just ruined my 1st time experience. Any idea how much a screen replacement will cost in India?

Really, just to enable covers replacement they have created very bad design of phone cover opening. I am now worried how will I use the phone in long term.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

Re: Broke the screen while opening Lumia 520

I'm very sorry to hear you broke the screen of your new phone.  But the user guide doesn't say to "pull up the screen".  It says to put your thumbnail in the seam between the screen frame and the back cover, then to bend the back cover which makes it just pop off.

It sounds as if you may have put your thumbnail into the earpiece slot instead and levered up, breaking the screen.  If so, I'm very surprised as I'm pretty sure my thumbnails aren't strong enough to do that.

Once again my sympathies that your phone is damaged and I don't know what a repair might cost, but the technique for removing the back cover is straightforward and takes very little force when done as the user guide describes.

Please use plain text.
delhi160

You are right. I actually put the thumbnail into the earpiece slot. :smileysad: And I watched some youtube videos too for opening it. Still I took as if I have to pull out the screen. :smileysad:

Now phone touch is not responsing:crying:. If someone has idea about the cost, please let me know.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Contact a Nokia Care Point for information on parts and/or repair. Use the 'Contact us' link on the bottom of this page

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Purulia123

I faces same problem today. My brand new lumia 520 screen broken today morning. How much cost of this screen in nokia care India?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

As mentioned earlier, the exact cost of the spares and the Repair charges can be known only thru' Nokia Care

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Purulia123

But today is sunday & all Nokia care centre are off. Can you suggest the approx price for the same.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

This being a user-to-user Forum, that may not be possible unless some user in India who had it changed can answer that ..

BTW, you may call Nokia and see if they can provide the information. Contact no. may be found HERE . Note that its open on all days between 9am and 6pm.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Purulia123

I have called them but there answer is same as you mentioned earlier.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

For the screen to break just by pulling it with the fingernails is pretty unexpected isn't it? How can a phone which is meant to be handled everyday be so fragile?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Unfortunate as it is, the guy obviously tried (with some force) to pull the screen away from the phone at a spot where the glass woudl (likely) be less strong.

Anyway, for a guestimate on procing you might want to check on  eBay where the digitizer is sold for around €45-49

Local pricing and cost of fitting would vary obviously

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
watto44

I recently had a broken screen on a Lumia 520 & was told by repairer that no spare scren was available in Australia. Is this the case, if so it must be a huge concern to other users

Please use plain text.
buttons1

Well i am sorry to disagree. I have had the exact same problem. tried to remove back to put sim in and screen cracked. I gave it to 2 others to have a go one being a women. She broke two nails this u can imagine did not go down well.I to done the same and eventualy the screen cracked.Havent even turned it on.Have had nokia phones before all good products.Oh when the screen cracked very small pieces of glass came off still trying to get them out of my finger.I would of thought this could be a possiable case for bad design.not the customer who can only follow your instructions.(New products can be tight). As you say in your response the word force is used if you had a different system no force would be required.Sorry to disagree but in this day and age i think you may have problems only a few maybe but hey a few cases could amount to alot.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

[ Edited ]

I infer that your post was a response to mine, though I hope you're aware that I don't actually work for Nokia, I just own one of their phones.  Once again I'm very sorry to hear that a screen has been broken when you were only trying to open your brand new phone.

It begins to look as though there is a problem, though the problem is not with the handset design itself, the problem is that it's too easy for users to misunderstand what they are supposed to do to open their phone. 

As the original poster said, for some reason he wrongly imagined he was supposed to put his fingernail into the earpiece cutout and lever the screen up.  If you open the phone using the method Nokia intends, there is no need even to touch the screen.

I wondered if Nokia might change their instructions to say you should open the phone at the other end, but that probably wouldn't help since if they did, instead of users assuming they should lever at the earpiece cutout, they would assume they needed to lever at the USB socket instead, which would probably entail an even more expensive repair.

PS  I'd be interested to know - is your phone's back cover black?  It just occurred to me that if it were one of the brightly coloured ones, it would be much more obvious where to slip your nail in, but with a black cover clipped onto a black frame it's much less clear.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

[ Edited ]

If the screen can be broken by merely trying to remove the back it is a case of very poor design. I'm sure users are not using undue force or being careless with their new phones. Even if they have misunderstood the instructions it is still a stretch for the screen to crack just by trying to open the cover. This must be addressed by Nokia immediately.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Martin520

I partly agree.  It's very unfortunate that the opening instructions can be misunderstood and that the earpiece cutout is right next to the position you're supposed to insert your nail, almost enticing owners to have a go at levering the screen out of the frame instead of peeling the back off the frame as intended.

If Nokia had realised this was likely, I wonder if they would instead have made the earpiece cutout a row of little perforations instead of a slot, so there was no chance of getting your thumbnail (or, when that doesn't work, your keys or a handy screwdriver) into the hole.

I'm not suggesting either person here with a broken phone did that, but I'm sure that some owners trying to open their phones the wrong way and finding it won't budge will resort to using tools, in which case it'll just snap.

Please use plain text.
Tahlia

I also brought a Nokia Lumia 520 and the screen was broken by the 3rd day. Now that I look carefully at the design I can see how poor it actually is. Where my screen cracked the glass is pushing up in a peak, indicating that it was initially under undue pressure. Having square corners on a screen with a large surface area is also asking for trouble.

I understand that broken glass is not normally covered under warranty but when the issue is clearly a design fault then this should be hte responsibility of the manufacturer.

If there are any other Australian users out there with the same problem I am interested to hear from you. With enough support we could take this to the Ministry of Fair Trade (Consumer Affairs) to have the issue dealt with properly.

It is not satisfactory for a large company to turn their backs on loyal customers. They have a responsibility to ensure that a product is safe, reliable and usable. A product containing glass which easilly breaks is none of these things. 

Another person in WA who has had the same problem was quoted $160 to repair their screen - this is the cost of a new 520 from HN. In these cases, Nokia needs to stand by their "customer care" and show that they really do care by doing hte right thing and either replacing damaged screens, or replacing the phones with a non-faulty product.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jimjams

I too broke the screen when trying to put the battery and simcard in. Very poor instructions re removing rear cover.

Happy to join you in complaining to fair trade.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tripey

Lumia back covers are not user friendly to remove. You do have to be careful to prise it away,this is a design flaw that needs rectifying as soon as possible. As an 820 owner i have mastered the art,but it is a pain.
Please use plain text.
redmarkus

Add me to the list of screen breakers...real bitter taste in the mouth...my fingernails are cut short so figured gently prising with a knife in the area shown would do the trick...glass cracked...I feel stupid...but seeing the amount a sales per hour for replacement screens on eBay...I know I'm not alone.
Please use plain text.