Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 'Build' Lumia 920 not getting Portico update (...

Registered Member
eklipse2013

Re: 'Build' Lumia 920 not getting Portico update (1232.5951.1249.0001)

I was told by the developer relations guy at Build that we'd have first run of the update since they'd use it to test updates.  Maybe these phones are too different to update :-(

I'm about to get rid of this phone if it doesn't update soon. I'm feeling pretty burned from Nokia that they aren't updating a phone that isn't even tied to a carrier.  It should be exactly like owning a Nexus or iPhone, it should be the fastest to update, yet it remains crashy and buggy.

Also, once this update is finally installed, how long will we have to wait for the next update when it will add features to the phone? ATT phones first in line by several months again? How will we get to test our apps with the features on a real device?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Faragondk

Nokia has not finished releasing portico, be patient:-) It is going out in waves, what they base the waves on is unknown to me...
I, and a lot of other Lumia 920 owners haven't received it either. I think they mentioned end of march as when they expect to complete the release.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EShy

These are dev phones, the whole point is that these devices should be getting the update first, not last.

There's a lot of talk about getting developers to support the WP platform, yet they can't even get an update out when nothing is holding them back (there are no carriers to deal with).

I don't need to be patient, Nokia needs to make sure I have what I need and what I ask for as a developer.

The fact that no one from Nokia even bothers to look into these discussion boards isn't encouraging at all (not just for this issue) but even asking the Nokia WP developer program people directly get's you no answer
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Freak_Daddy

I know Nokia what's the hold up?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ehuna

So here we are in March, two and half months after I first posted this question, and developers with the Build Lumia 920 still don't have the Portico update.

Way to go Nokia - make developers feel they are worth nothing to you - that's the way to encourage us to create Windows Phone 8 apps.

paulheu: be a man and come back and apologize for being rude and obnoxious two and half-months ago when I first just asked the question.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
knybbe

Still no update. My enthusiasm for advocating the 920 to friends and family is rapidly deteriorating, especially as the Nexus 4 I have in my other pocket is receiving updates almost immediately. Time to switch my main SIM card to the Nexus?

Kim

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Guestx

Why still no portico update.  This is March already.  I have an open set not tied to any telco contract.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EShy

Chanse Arrington said he hopes it will get approved this week, but this is not how you handle developers
Please use plain text.
Advisor
codekaizen

I can't understand how Nokia / MS thought this was a good plan, to give devs at Build a phone, expect them to write for it, but not plan to get WP8 and firmware updates to it. What kind of relationship benefits from neglect?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Freak_Daddy

How did you get that info?

Please use plain text.
MetroDeveloper

I guess still nobody has received an update on their Build 920. Would there be any problem receiving an update if I only use mine on WiFi?

Does Portico have actual implications for developers, or it is only end user improvements? I'd be really upset if "WP 8.1" was released and my 920 wasn't updating, but what does Portico mean for software development? I'm just hesitant to complain about something I got for free.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hillr

[ Edited ]

Hmm apparently it didn't get approved during the week of 3/6.  We're now three plus months after the original release, this is beyond ridiculously bad.  The problem here is that while early on I was able to convert a few folks to the Nokia 920 by demo'ing the BUILD dev phone to folks, lately I've probably lost just as many potential conversions due to lock ups and reboots while demoing the phone. Why wouldn't you want all of your devices running & "showing" at their best?  This is one thing about WP8 that is a bit disappointing. It is not nearly as stable as WP 7.5 was.  And the XBOX music app is kind of a cluster cuss. 

Please use plain text.
JaYmZ666

Having the same issue here, looks like none of the BUILD phones have been updated.

Can we have any ETA or feedback to let us know what is happening?

Cheers,

Ben

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ChrisBardon

Still no updates yet. I know these devices have some extra bands in them, so there could be some additional difficulties in updating them, but that aside, it'd be nice to at least get an acknowledgement that something is coming, and a rough idea of when. Can't help but feel a little abandoned by Nokia here.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
enough2000

On http://www.developer.nokia.com/Blogs/Community/2013/03/14/updates-for-lumia-920-lumia-820-and-lumia-... a user called "bloodredsky" claims the following:

"I need to check the update plan for those dev phones (such as the ones given in BUILD event). They used different SW variant compared to actually sold units, which is causing those update issues."

No further update, though. So I guess this game is called patience ;-)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tausi

The wait is over. I'm downloading the update on my Build 920 while typing... :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
sirkirby

same here! downloading now...can't believe how long it took, but glad to finally have the update.

Please use plain text.
Employee
armagon

Yep, like I commented on the blog post also (my age-old nick on the Nokia Dev forums was "bloodredsky"... :smileytongue:):

"Good news for devs with Lumia 920 from the Microsoft Build event – PR 1.1 update is reported to be now available:http://mynokiablog.com/2013/03/20/portico-update-available-for-devs-with-lumia-920s-from-microsoft-b..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/nokia-x-updates/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/nokia-x2-update/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/asha-software-update/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Nokia_firmware_change_logs
https://twitter.com/NokiaSWUpdates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ehuna

Yes, I was able to download and install SW 1232.5951.1249.1001 - that's '1001' at the end.

I believe Portico is 'SW 1232.5951.1249.0001' - that's '0001' at the end.

The blog post mentions version '1232.5957.1308.00xx' was just released, so we still don't have the latest - but at least we made some progress and we have Portico!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Freak_Daddy

Finally!! Downloading update now. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.