Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Call Volume Too Low on Lumia 1020

Advisor
Tom_N8

I'm encountering the exact same problem. When in a noisy area I have difficulties having a phone conversation because I can't hear them very well while with phones from friends in that same area I hear them just fine.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nokiyes

My nokia 1020 seems to suffer the same issue.

Description:
Volume is to low for low to medium noisy surroundings, like restaurant, next to a road etc. In such a way that the phone becomes useless.

- It's specifically when using the build in earpiece ( top middle on phone ).
- No issues when using separate cabled earpiece. I can set this loud enough
- No issues when using bluetooth earpiece ( nokia essence or bh214 ). I can set this loud enough
- No issues when using build in speaker. I can set this loud enough
- It has nothing to do with video or music like you could have read in all the other postings and like the subject of this topic: "Call volume too low on Lumia 1020"

- Signal strength is of no influence on this issue
- Dirt in speaker is absent
- Volume setting is (always) 10/10
- Software is up to date
- Phone has been reset

As far as I can read from comments of people who had the same issue bringing it in to the next carepoint doesnt help too much.
So all these people are deaf or someting else is the matter.
I guess it's some kind of design flaw, simcard issue ( I will test this) , or hopefully a software flaw, which i give a small chance.

My questions:
What is the couse of this issue
What is a solution for this issue?

Maybe look around for nokia (Microsoft) employees who have the same issue?

So if you could formulate a decent answer I would be really happy, if youre not capable please discuss this with your colleagues and also please get this to some guys at developement. Maybe they're able to boost the output with a sotfware patch. ( I dont care if the quality suffers as long as I can understand people who call me).

TNX!
Regard's
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleo1712

Nokiyes, if you run for president I will vote for you. Well written. You will get no response. No answer. Or you will get the answer...."please update to 8.1"  and if you do "we currently not support 8.1"

VOLUME BOOSTER NOKIA. JAILBREAK. YOU WILL SELL AS CRAZY. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Hristo

Same low levels for me since long time ago. I've had plenty of defects with my device, wrote plenty of feedbacks took surveys... but people, Nokia is fading away. No support, no respect for the people which made the mistake to buy their products. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nokiyes

Camera is great 

screen is nice

Here is great

volume sucks 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ekstamC

Lowest volyme, 1/30 is too high on my 1020... Its either nothing or too high.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rocky230v

I have Lumia 1020 with the same issue described and I don't think that its because of by several different things (earpiece damage, audio amplifier defect, dust/dirt/liquid damage, etc.). Make sure that company tests the phones in all matters before they release to the public use to avoid inconveniences to the customers, please resolve this issue with a software update....thanks..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MoriThan

Hi Mod/Admin of this topic,

Very supprise that there are a lot of same describes from customer and you are doing nothing and just go around and keep silent. 

I tried to search a lot of forum to find out this issue of your 1020 volume and yes, a lot. 

Why you didt response properly, rather than ask simple questions as customers saw, or you dont have your answer. You want to know how my feeling this time: angry to responsed guys of this topic.

One again, a lot of 1020 had the same issue and so mine is. Please fix it and guide to us how to fix. PLEASE @@

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleo1712

Dont wait for an answer. We have been ripped off. Bye bye 500 euros.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rocky230v

Who is talking care of this website? Nokia or microsoft ? Are they even reading customer's complaint? Looks like no one is care about the issues we are having...nokia/microsoft you are going down....
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
poochini21

[ Edited ]

We understand your honest feedback, guys. Though your phones are having the same volume issue, we still need to further isolate each case. If all troubleshooting steps mentioned in the previous messages (rebooting, resetting, recovering the phone's SW, etc.) didn't work, the best option is to visit the local Nokia Care Point to have your Lumias evaluated. In that way, the technicians will be able to personally assess the phone and verify the possible cause of the issue. This link will lead you to the Nokia global support page: Way Finder - Nokia.

BTW, it's best to back up your files first before having the phone evaluated to avoid data loss. Just go to Settings > Backup to enable it.

Let us know if you need further help.

Final Banner
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cluegate

Just to add, I have the same volume issue for cellular calls but noticed when using Skype the volume is fantastic. This has to be a software glitch of some kind.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kleo1712

The problem persists since early 2013. I am waiting for an answer from the community manager. I know I will not get one, but I will wait a few more days before I send feedback to every and any phone site online, stating how bad nokia is and how low feedback we have from nokia/microsoft.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Munch77

Yes, I can verify that the call volume is really much lower than the other 1520 which I'm using too. With the same 10/10 volume level, 1020 is much lower and harder to listen to conversations. Same network and tested in the same environment and area.

Please use plain text.
jsmarin

I am experiencing the same issue. I'd been using my lumia 1020 for 8 months with no problems but two days ago call volume dropped suddenly. No updates, haven't dropped the phone or anything. Did a recovery and didnt work...it is hard to use even in a silent environment...It was my best phone until now.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ravipa

I am also facing same low volume problem with nokia lumia 1320.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Hristo

And it goes even quieter and quieter. I am wondering if I should play hockey with that puck or keep trying use it as phone?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vanappco63

I agree, the thing I don't like about this phone, is the handset volume isn't loud enough! Anyone who uses my phone always struggles to talk to people.
come on Nokia...you're better than this!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MoriThan

Hi Boss,

As least I hear your voice. And sorry that this is not our waiting responsed. It's not a personal issue, it can not be sovled by any technical guy, it came from every 1020 you sell everyday - it's system issue, please.

How tecnical guy can help 1020 buyer, change new one? you think it will fix this issue or just a way to put issue from Nokia to local one?

What we wait is an update on cyan which can solve it by confirmed, not else, please.

Rgrds,

Please use plain text.
wangdinger55

Hi wangdinger55 has the same problem after the windows8.1update was installed on my 625 Previously it worked like a good 'un. Pretty much useless now, and I say that it seems like an oversight toward the hard of hearing. It is also set 10/10. There seems to be no solution on the horizon and I hope this is something Microsoft will remedy. I really do require a loud ringer. Where's the remedy?
Please use plain text.