Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Call blocking Nokia 920

Tomred911

Call blocking Nokia 920

How can I block phone calls and SMS from  numerous people. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Tomred911

Although there was a feature in SDK it never came to fruition, for now your carrier may be able to provide limited ability to block calls.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Tomred911

That's crazy I have a Samsung SG3 and there are numerous apps in the android store that do this.  How can a new smartphone not block a call. I guess wm8 is not for me.  This phone will be sent back. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

WP8 is a new platform so apps that add this feature may come along in the future. In WP7 apps had little freedom in order to keep the system stable and to protect it from malware and viruses that affects platforms like android. In WP8 developers have been given more freedom whilst keeping the security intact so it is possible that call blocking apps could appear once they've got to grips with the SDK and OS.

Very few users actually use or require call blocking which is why it isn't part of the core OS.
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Bit of a sweeping statement there. How do you know this ? I personally use it as my number must have been recycled by the operator. I get calls on a basis frequntly enough to be irritating but not enough to ask my operator to allocate a new number that call blocking is useful. There is , certainly nothing in the U.K that an operator can do block incoming numbers. They can change your number if it's serious and would assist a police investigation if it were really serious but they cannot block incoming calls.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

caitlin1759 wrote:
There is certainly nothing in the U.K that an operator can do block incoming numbers.

Although it maybe subscriber service users in US can certainly block specific numbers, such as ATT Smart Limits for  Wireless.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Tomred911

Well on android you can block anonymous numbers and private numbers.  How would a AT&T operator block those.  I guess I'm sticking to android.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Yeah! Android suits you better for now. BTW, those apps just hang up the phone when the incoming number is not in the contacts. This is just some simple thing and I'm sure it will come up soon as the Windows Phone marketplace grows..

Gift your lumia to me. I'll love it without that call blocking too :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Tomred911

I don't see it coming anytime soon.  Hasn't been available in windows mobile sine 6.5 and even then was terrible

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

caitlin1759 wrote:
Bit of a sweeping statement there. How do you know this ? I personally use it as my number must have been recycled by the operator. I get calls on a basis frequntly enough to be irritating but not enough to ask my operator to allocate a new number that call blocking is useful. There is , certainly nothing in the U.K that an operator can do block incoming numbers. They can change your number if it's serious and would assist a police investigation if it were really serious but they cannot block incoming calls.
Over here in ireland some networks can block numbers,without any hassle at all.So maybe it depends on the operator.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

Landline operators can set up your phone so that it will not accept calls from with held numbers. This is a blanket ban on all withheld number callers.

You can register your number on a list that is supposed to be numbers which are excluded from cold calling lists and marketing lists.

I am not aware of any UK operator who offers a facility of setting up a specfic list of numbers which your phone bars although there may be ways to bar generic cold callers, easier to do by landline operators (and there will be a charge), but if it's simply your annoying ex calling you at 3 in the morning a UK operator will be happy to give you a new number but they cannot block an incoming call.
Please use plain text.
SoCalLarry

I have the Lumia 710 and the one thing I was disappointed about it was the lack of call blocking and call filtering (such as having a blacklist).   This feature is common on virtually all other kinds of phones.  In a conversation I had with Nokia awhile back, I had made a suggestion that they include this in the core OS on their future phones.  

If you go to the Windows Phone blog on Microsoft, this is one of the most widely requested additions to Windows Phone, both for Win Phone 7 and Win Phone 8.  Yet, it is ignored by both Microsoft and Nokia.  I believe that it is either Samsung or HTC that has an app for their phones, but that is it.

I am not sure if undesired calls in Europe is an issue like it is in the US.  Many people have to pay for their minutes and SMS messages here in the US, so blocking is imperative to save costs.   Also, here in the US, people just do not want to called unless they know the caller.  It is a very big issue.

I would have seriously considered upgrading my Lumia 710 to the new 920 if it had this feature, but I will hold off.  The 710 works fine for the moment, and I am just diverting unknown and undesired calls to a junk Google Voice number.

I'll give Win Phones and Nokia a chance to get their OS and apps up to speed, and look back in six to nine months.  If nothing has changed by then, I would unfortunately think that Android might be the better alternative.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

I'm not sure SMS can be blocked but call blocking is an important feature which is available on most other platforms including Nokia's orphaned MeeGo. Other than call blocking (blacklist) the user should also be able to set up a whitelist for numbers which are only allowed to get through when activated. Sometimes you want to block all calls except from your boss or family, hence the whitelist.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

KennyKB wrote:

I'm not sure SMS can be blocked but call blocking is an important feature which is available on most other platforms including Nokia's orphaned MeeGo. Other than call blocking (blacklist) the user should also be able to set up a whitelist for numbers which are only allowed to get through when activated. Sometimes you want to block all calls except from your boss or family, hence the whitelist.

That too is possible with 3rd Party applications on Synbian devices (e.g. my Nokia 5800xm)

Please use plain text.
srevans29

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Thats just for china,the operators could have requested it,hopefully will be available too all in the near future and not just china.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
marc75

So i have the same probleme, i want to be joinable in my own phone, but not for abusing people. Some people calls me on mobile on sundays or by night. When you buy a phone for that amount, it's crazy to can't reject bad callers Id, suppose you have a girl who is receiving bad messages, this error is very important for Nokia, bad point !

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

srevans29 wrote:

Hi,

there is such a feature on the Lumia 920 in China.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920t-china-has-keep-wi-fi-alive-and-call-block-list-feature-set

The feature you linked to is to keep wi-fi alive when the screen sleeps, not for call blocking. Of course cutting off the wit-fi when the screen sleeps is asinine for a smartphone which should continue to receive notifications but that's another story.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

heulaup wrote:

srevans29 wrote:

Hi,

there is such a feature on the Lumia 920 in China.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920t-china-has-keep-wi-fi-alive-and-call-block-list-feature-set

The feature you linked to is to keep wi-fi alive when the screen sleeps, not for call blocking. Of course cutting off the wit-fi when the screen sleeps is asinine for a smartphone which should continue to receive notifications but that's another story.

The link surely has mention about the Call Blocking feature ...

Please use plain text.
sohojmanush

Please use plain text.