Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can't connect to Windows 8 or 7 with Lumia 920

efullerton

Can't connect to Windows 8 or 7 with Lumia 920

I've tried to connect to both w7 and w8, in the case of w7 the drivers install and the icon for the windows phone is visible under My Computer, but any attempt to interact with it produces an error.  On w8 the new Windows Phone app downloads when the phone is first plugged in, but the software never reconizes the handset, it just gives a "your phone is notplaying nice error".

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to get around it?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Can't connect to Windows 8 or 7 with Lumia 920

Check whether this thread is of any use ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Soylent

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue on Windows 7 (64 bit)... it just pops up with the red x saying no drivers found. I tried to click Update Driver in device manager and search Windows Update, but no change. Doesn't appear as a USB drive or anything, but it is charging.

It shows up in device manager as "RM-820|Nokia Lumia 920"

----------------------------------
Nokia Lumia 920 on ATT (US)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Soylent wrote:

I have the same issue on Windows 7 (64 bit)... it just pops up with the red x saying no drivers found. I tried to click Update Driver in device manager and search Windows Update, but no change. Doesn't appear as a USB drive or anything, but it is charging.

Did you check the link in my post above ..?

Please use plain text.
efullerton

It's a software conflict of some sort, I did a hard reset of the phone and I connected it to a win 7 desktop and was able to see and interact with the phone's file system.  I was also able to sync the phone using the desktop app.  Never was able to connect to the Windows 8 app though.

However, after disconnecting and adding my MS account info and a few apps the same problem of not being able to see the phone's file system and an inability to get the app to recognize the phone returned.  Some bit of software added is causing the problem, at least now I know it's not the handset, not that that is much of a consolation.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
UndCOVer

In my experience changing the usb port you use will almost always help , provided you reboot both pc and phone before connecting your phone again .

hit me back if this helps guys.

Please use plain text.
woodway

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem connecting to a Windows 8 computer.  I've tried rebooting both the computer and phone.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.  I've switched USB ports.

I get the same "your phone is having issues" message referenced above.  Also, the phone icon shows up in the file explorer but when I open it, there is nothing there.

I am running out of things to try.  Any help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Soylent wrote:

Is your Windows on PC upto date ? Check for the updates, then if you find any available do that.. and then check again if you get thru' fine ...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

The 920 should still connect fine, even if the list of drivers it says it is installing, it only installs the first two drivers and is unable to install the rest (that it tries looking for on Windows Update). I had the same when connecting my 920 to my old laptop that my Mum is now using these days. It still showed up as a removable drive in Windows Explorer and functioned normally.

From the sounds of things, there could be a multitude of reasons as to why your phone is not connecting. Hardware changes.....possible virus infections.....application conflicts etc. Unfortunately, if there is nothing left, then you may need to do a thorough clean out of your PC or re-install.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Thats what happened with me on Windows 7. Initially it installed only the first 2 and then showed 'Failed' for the other 2. Disconnected and reconnected the phone and tried again but the same result. This time left the phone connected and after about a couple of minutes the phone got connected to PC. The same night I was prompted for Windows 7 Updates which i did and next morning tried updating the drivers thru' Device Manager..and this time it found the remaining 2 ..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

True Farby....find it a bit strange that Windows 8 nailed the drivers installation the first but Windows 7 couldn't. Then again I suppose the 920 and WP8 was made optimized with Windows 8....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
garymguk

I have the same problem. Have tried all possible solutions. Tried on windows 8 pc, eindows 7 pc. Tried the phone app and the phone application beta on windows 8 desktop and windows 7. Tried all usb ports on both pcs. tried restarting phone (many times), restarting pcs (many times). reinstalling all software (several times). Sytem restore.

In every case I get the same error message.

Have tried windows explorerer which can find the phone but will not allow me to explor it!

In desperation I have contacted nokia support and am awaiting a reply. Maybe its the nokia usb cable? Will try to buy a new one, see if that helps!

Please use plain text.
DreilingStL

You all sound much more patient than I. The situation with the L920 is completely unacceptable.

I am now on my second device after returning the first for the very issues described. Absolutely no connectivity  between the device and my Windows 8/RT based PC. I have used multiple sync cables (including the one provided by Nokia w/ my phone), each USB port available (including the docking base for my ThinkPad), and multiple PCs (a ThinkPad T420, an IdeaPad U260, each running a clean install of Windows 8, and my Surface RT). I have hard reset the device multiple times, attempting to sync at different points in the customization process. I have, at each point, uninstalled device drivers and sync software (Windows Phone app for Windows 8, the Windows Phone sync client for desktop beta, etc) to have them reinstalled cleanly during the sync process.

I spent a couple hours doing a live chat with Microsoft tech support, to no avail. They have "escalated" my issue and have promised to respond within 5 business days (its been 3, so here's hoping).

I have media that must be synced back and forth between my PC and device. This is not some ancillary feature that I can take or leave. I want my custom ringtones, my music playlists and albums, and pictures taken on previous devices. I also need to offload the full versions of pictures and videos taken with my phone, since SkyDrive sync only likes to do lower res copies over LTE.

Nokia, seriously. Help me out here.

Please use plain text.
mprger

Exactly the same issue here. no connections possible between 920 and my Surface RT nd my Win 8 Pro 64bit PC.

Unacceptable.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
walterdb

I am having this exact problem. My Win7 Ultimate can not see the phone as a drive nor does the Desktop app see it.. It is listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager and updating the driver, rebooting, reinstalling etc... do nothing.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

walterdb wrote:

I am having this exact problem. My Win7 Ultimate can not see the phone as a drive nor does the Desktop app see it.. It is listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager and updating the driver, rebooting, reinstalling etc... do nothing.

Connect the Phone to PC and open 'Device Manager' ..Right click on the Device listed under 'Other devices' and click 'Properties' ..Under thr 'Driver' tab select 'Uninstall' .. Once done disconnect the phone using the 'Safely remove hardware' option .. Now re-connect the phone and allow the Drivers to get re-installed ..

Check if it gets recognised now ..

Please use plain text.
rlee0524

I am experiencing the same thing on a Windows 8 PC 64-bit.  Cannot connect to the phone.  Even in the Windows Explorer the device appears, but when it is clicked it goes into a not responding state.  While I can appreciate the suggestions, the solution to "hard reset" the phone is not practical or appropriate. 

Nokia needs to get on top of this issue ASAP.

Please use plain text.
MBeverley

Also posting here, this is a real usability problem, I have done a factory reset of my phone and it did not help, saying I have to do a OS reinstall or reset of my laptop is clearly not an option when I have had no issues with other USB devices.

win 7 x64 sp1 lumia 920 not recognized, other or unknown device state, driver issues that say they need to be fixed but windows update cannot do it.

See here also:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/nokia-lumia-920-driver-error/51ced12c-...

Please use plain text.
rlee0524

Ok - so I figured out what the problem was with connecting to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I followed all of the advice on various forums, which included:

1. Disabling the Cloud Sync in XBox Music (Phone) [unsuccessful]

2. Disabling the Windows Firewall (PC)[unsuccessful]

3. Trying Different USB Ports (PC) [unsuccessful]

4. Uninstalling and Reinstalling Windows 8 App (PC) [unsuccessful]

5. Uninstalling and Reinstalling Nokia Phone Drivers through Device Manager (PC) [unsuccessful]

6. Connecting to another Windows 8 Machine [successful]

7. Reinstalling Windows 8 Pro (Clean Install) on this Machine [successful]

Conclusion, if you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and kept everything or even just your files, it reuses drivers from Windows 7 that do not work with the Nokia Lumia 920. 

Immediately after reinstalling Windows 8 Pro with a clean installation (choosing the “save nothing” option) the phone worked with the Windows 8 App.

It is not necessary to disable your firewall, to try different USB ports or trying to uninstall or reinstall the Nokia Phone drivers.  None of these were done once I did a clean install.  I came to this conclusion because the other PC that I tried it on successfully was bought with Windows 8 already installed (ie. new ultrabook).  The difference was that I had upgraded my previous version of windows.
Please use plain text.
rlee0524

I found an additional incompatible feature with the Nokia Lumia 920.  I am a windows phone developer, so I installed the Visual Studio 2012 Express Windows Phone SDK.  Once it installed Hyper-V the phone stops connecting to the computer.  I can uninstall Hyper-V and the phone will connect to the computer.  If I reinstall Hyper-V (add windows features), it immediately stops working.

Nokia and Microsoft, put this on your bug list...

Please use plain text.