Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can't fully use Lumia 810 Unlocked with anothe...

Contributor
AK74U

Can't fully use Lumia 810 Unlocked with another carrier! Need to enable "APN" settings option in the firmware!

I have Lumia 810 from T-Mobile and unlocked it with a code, that was provided to me by T-Mobile/Nokia.  Now trying to use this phone with another GSM carrier, makes me wonder, why would T-Mobile/Nokia disable the option to change/add apn settings?  So only calls and sms would work on other sim cards!  The internet and mms feature is blocked, because T-Mobile settings are hardcoded into the firmware!  I have Lumia 710 which is also T-Mobile branded, but there is a button "add apn" under settings>cellular.  I don't know t-mobile chose to do it or nokia, but please add the above option via OTA update, it is really needed!  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Can't fully use Lumia 810 Unlocked with another carrier! Need to enable "APN" settings option in the firmware!

I can assure you this has nothing to do with Nokia and T-mobile are not the only network doing it. The option to setup and add access points is on my non sim locked and unbranded version.

This is why I will only buy unbranded handsets to avoids operator bloatware and restrictons. The truth is they are not even cheaper. You just pay for it in instalment over the duration of your contract. 

Your best bet would be to contact the operator and voice your discontent regarding the restriction. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AK74U

Re: Can't fully use Lumia 810 Unlocked with another carrier! Need to enable "APN" settings option in the firmware!

Thanks!  What you are saying about buying unlocked is correct.  I myself also have Lumia 800 which I like.  The interesting this is that my Lumia 710(T-Mobile version) does have the apn settings button and I even have nokia network setup app installed on it.  For some reason it is that Lumia 810 is slightly different and I hope eigher nokia or my operator will do some updates to allow that setting to be enabled.  In worst case I will just sell it. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Firware updates for operator branded handsets are controlled by the operator. It is their choice as to whether to restrict certain functions which is why you need to contact the operator. If enough people ask, they may just remove it from the next update.

Alternatively, Nokia may agree to remove the operator variant but only if you get written permission from the operator. I know they used to allow this with the older symbian phones but cant confirm if they can with WP phones but worth a try if you can get the letter.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pankaj981

Download the access point app from here and you should be able to edit the APNs and use it on another carrier.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

pankaj981 wrote:

Download the access point app from here and you should be able to edit the APNs and use it on another carrier.

Sorry pankaj981, you are missing the point where network branded software locks APN setting with choice "greyed" out!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.