Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can't see files on Lumia 920 in windows explorer

Contributor
Indefa

Can't see files on Lumia 920 in windows explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I've had this problem for a day or so now. I connect my lumia 920 to my PC (Windows 7 ultimate x64) the phone makes a connection sound and it shows up under My Computer. However when I go to browse the files on the 920 it is just empty. Also when I try and use the WindowsPhone app it boots up on the welcome screen as if it's the first time I'm connecting it and does nothing when I press the continue button...

This hasn't always been the case as I was able to browse the files and use the WindowsPhone app for over a week without trouble previously.

What I have tried so far:

>Restarting my phone.
>Reinstalling the WindowsPhone app.
>Repairing and reinstalling .NET 4.5 and updating it.
>Turning my firewall off
>Connecting it to another USB port.

>Connecting it to my other computer.

>Hard resting my phone. (This left me stuck on the cog wheels for hours and I had to flash my phone to fix this)
>And maybe more things that I can't remember at the moment.

Interestingly when I had to hard reset it and wipe everything off the phone it worked fine, the app let the phone sync my music etc, I thought it had been fixed. BUT the second time I went to sync my phone the same problem happened! WindowsPhone app thinks its the first time and wont let me press continue and the device is just empty under My Computer.

The phone works fine otherwise, all my music and stuff is on it from the first sync and I have 0 problems besides this! Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the huge post :/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indefa

Re: Can't see files on Lumia 920 in windows explorer

I suppose I'll have to return it and get another one. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

I doubt it has anything to do with the phone. It's more likely something changed on your PC.

What you can do is connect the phone then go to device manager in Windows and remove the drivers by right clicking the phone in Device manager and selecting Uninstall.

Now remove and re-attach the phone to another USB port which should reinstall drivers.

As both the MTP support and the Windows Phone app are Microsoft products I would suggest taking this up with them at their community or support.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indefa

I forgot to mention I have tried this many times. Each time the MTP drivers reinstall and there is no change.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

i am running Windows 8 x64 on my laptop and sometimes the computer doesn't see the phone. i find i have to restart my laptop to fix this. i know that it is connected succesfully when it makes the connection sound, and the Windows Phone app comes up twice, so each time it does i drag to close the app down. Then a few seconds later in Windows Explorer then Phone shows up and i am able to browse its folders.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indefa

This is a slightly different problem than I am having, My phone is recognized and shows up as it is suppose to, it is just empty when I go to browse it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

Have you set a password to the screen lock. If yes, then unless you unlock the screen once after connecting it, the PC will simply charge the phone without any access to Data on it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 1020/920
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indefa

I've tried it with and without a password :\
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indefa

I've also bought a new cable and tried it with completely different computers and the same problem happens on them. It has to be something to do with the phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

In that case, you will need to contact the nearest authorised Nokia Care Centre.

www.nokia.com/support
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 1020/920
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RigelPRO

SAME HERE ! is this problem fixed???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

RigelPRO wrote:

SAME HERE ! is this problem fixed???

Try this..

Connect the Phone to PC..Open Device Manager on the PC and Right Click on the Windows Phone under 'Portable Devices' .. Select 'Uninstall' ..and once it is done disconnect the phone and re-connect. Wait for the drivers to get re-installed . See if its fine now ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RigelPRO

Its not fixed yet.. i can't sync my files to my phone.. it says my phone is locked, but my phone is unlocked!

heres the screenshot..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RigelPRO

i already reset my phone .. and still locked.. ARGH!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RigelPRO

and still cant browse files.. -_-

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rahul30

He there, I face problem of the same description as u said on my lumia 520. Did you find a solution to this?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rahul30

I too have tried all possible solutions that u tried.

Please use plain text.