Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Cannot connect to Zune

Sage
roope70

Cannot connect to Zune

Whenever I try to connect my Lumia 900 to Zune for this latest upgrade, it tells me the connection fails and tells me to reboot my phone and try again. Rebooting and trying again does not help.

I had this same problem with the previous upgrade. Back then I succeeded in upgrading after I deleted certificates and Forgot the phone on Zune. (The only other time that Zune connected to my phone successfully was when I first installed it.) This time I've deleted the certificates but cannot forget the phone because it doesn't connect.

I asked my two friends who have Lumias if I may try connecting to their computers (I received advice to try on another computer on this board). Both said they don't use Zune because it never works for them. I tried on one of their computers nevertheless, but of course it didn't work.

Does this mean I will never get an upgrade ever again? :confused: If so, how do I stop my phone from telling me every two days that I have an upgrade available and should connect to Zune to run it?

Please don't tell me I'll have to hard reset my phone to connect it with the application that I'm supposed to use for backing up my data.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

Btw, I tried uninstalling and re-installing Zune already.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lumu_lumo

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Are you using USB data cable out of the box? Try to connect on diffirent USB ports of your Desktop/laptop. Have you run diagnostic test on your PC? Sometimes it will ask for update/download for device drivers.

If still won't work, turn your device off first then press all the hardware keys at the same time(volume up+ volume down+power/lock+camera key). Connect to PC screen will show-up then connect it to your PC using data cable.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

I don't know what you mean by using USB cable out of the box. I'm using a Nokia USB cable if that's what you mean.

Different ports do not help, neither does a soft reset.

I find a gazillion different diagnostic tools on my PC, one for every little aspect nothing like "check everything". Which one should I run?

The volume up + volume down + power/lock + camera key combo is the hard reset and deletes all the data on my phone, right?

Since Zune worked the first time I installed it, is there any way of just wiping it off my computer completely and re-install it like it never was there? I'd rather try that first before wiping everything off my phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lumu_lumo

Hi roope70,

The hardware key combo is the Connect to PC option, it is not a hard reset. I only know one way to do a hard reset that is going to phone settings>about>...

To uninstall Zune, on your Windows PC go to Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>remove a program....then select Zune.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

[ Edited ]

Okay, I tried that button combo. It seems to be exactly the same as simply pressing the power button for a while on my Lumia 900. It doesn't help. Btw, at no point does it vibrate three times; it simply switches on, there's no "Connect to PC screen".

Control Panel / Remove Program does not completely remove Zune since it still remembers my device after re-installation. It must require some extra work to really wipe it off the computer.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

Removed and re-installed Zune as per this advice:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929358

No help. As soon as the Lumia driver is installed, Zune tells me the connection failed.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

Ran Fix It and did some other stuff, got the connection to work. Hopefully this won't happen for the third time when there's another update available.
Please use plain text.
Belly62

I have the same problem, cannot sync my phone (Lumia 900) with Zune. I even went through Zune Support and they were no help at all either. They told me that it was wither the phone was faulty (which it is not) or that there is software on my laptop that is interfering with the phone being recognized. (in this case since I have iTunes, Zune Support said that this is the problem. Even doing the soft boot didn't help.

The way that I found that helped, that is if you have it enabled is log out of your own user account and log into the Administrator account. Connect the phone and Zune will enable the connection to sync your phone to the computer. Admittedly you will have to put everything in the public folder (for music, photos, etc) but it is the best way that I have found (by myself) to get what you want on your phone from your computer.

It is just a pity that Nokia does not use Nokia Suite for things that Zune does not do.

I hope this helps all of you, because even though it is tedious in doing it this way, it is at least one way that does work.

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

Again it happens: The 3rd time I have an update available for my Lumia 900, the 3rd time I cannot connect to Zune for the update without first spending 30-60 minutes trying different fixes. Since nothing ever improves, this is apparently how it's supposed to work. :angry:

Please use plain text.
Sage
roope70

Okay, this time even FixIt didn't work, so no upgrade for me. Thanks for nothing, Nokia.

Are you going to do something about your piece of garbage application at any point in the future?

(You're probably going to tell me it's my fault that Zune stopped working between the last time I upgraded and this time, even though I haven't even run that terrible application between then and now.)

Please use plain text.