Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Closing apps on Lumia 820/822/920

Professor
banlec

Closing apps on Lumia 820/822/920

[ Edited ]

Don't you think that it would be easier if it were a possibility to close app by single click rather than repeatedly pressing Back button?

Are there any means now to kill an app which has hanged?

Moderator's notes: title edited to match description 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Closing apps on Lumia 820/822/920

[ Edited ]

banlec wrote:

Don't you think that it would be easier if it were a possibility to close app by single click rather than repeatedly pressing Back button?

Are there any means now to kill an app which has hanged?

Apps will remain running in the background if we use the Windows key to return to the start screen but will be closed if we use the back button instead. This is my preferred method unless I want an app to remain running whilst I'm performaing another task.

So, effectively we can close apps down with a single click just by using the back button to exit an app.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

[ Edited ]

So, effectively we can close apps down with a single click just by using the back button to exit an app.

I meant an app, which has hanged. If app does not respond, you can not close it by using Back button. I already encountered this and the only one solution was to restart the phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

banlec wrote:

I meant an app, which has hanged. If app does not respond, you can not close it by using Back button. I already encountered this and the only one solution was to restart the phone.

If it has hanged, it will not respond to anything.. not even to the 'Single Click' you are referring to ...

Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

farby wrote:

If it has hanged, it will not respond to anything.. not even to the 'Single Click' you are referring to ...

If this is the case then it means that the app rules the phone and it should be the other way around.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

you will still need to use the back arrow to close it.

I have had a couple of time had an application hang.

I got around it by taping the windows button and going to the home screen then started tapping the back arrow.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Professor
banlec

In my case it did not help when Excel or Powerpoint hanged. When they hanged they blocked internet connection (for the whole phone - when I tried only to forget about it by pressing Home button) and the only one remedy was to restart the phone. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
heath217

If you hit the back button quickly about 3 times it closes everything and brings you back to home. If you hit back slowly it backtracks one step at a time. Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Generalnfx

That is incorrect. Yes if you only have three apps open it will work.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Generalnfx

Yeah but if you use imdb and search 15 movies you have to back arrow through every page. Terrible. Nokia needs to have a quick tap and hold to close or something.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pappagnu

I have a 920 and have had trouble with youtube and similar in the explorer browser locking up.

No amount of "tap back" have sufficed, it sometimes goes into eternal loop changing between two

web pages.

Now one of the previous responses led me to try something new:

I had it locked, could not get rid of the explorer, I changed to the google web-page and then quickly tapped

back three times.

It imediately closed.

At least that can be a way of getting around that app not wanting to close, I guess if a word or excel hangs,

maybe it can work to open another doc. and then in that one "tripple-tap back", I don't know.

I definately support the idea that the phone should have some sort of "Task Manager" where the operator can

terminate running apps. I seriously think that is a basic feature of any OS.

/Robert

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

For IE 10, while browsing select options-tabs then close the current tab. Press back once & it will close.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 1020/920
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sherrylee

I want a "checkpoints" app for my nomia 822 windows phone. It seems Apple has all the money making apps. I am ready to pitch my nomia!!!! They dont even have "carot" which tells you which apps are draining your battery as seen on national tv. That is also an APPLE phone. Wake up Nomia before you lose out!!!
Please use plain text.
aleisha11

sherrylee wrote:
I want a "checkpoints" app for my nomia 822 windows phone. It seems Apple has all the money making apps. I am ready to pitch my nomia!!!! They dont even have "carot" which tells you which apps are draining your battery as seen on national tv. That is also an APPLE phone. Wake up Nomia before you lose out!!!

This is a peer-to-peer troubleshooting forum. You may coordinate with the developer of the application for your concern. This is to check with them if they'll support Nokia Lumia phones for their applications. 

If you're having an issue with the battery life, you may check this link for your reference: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/troubleshooting/?qt=Battery%20life&comp=nokiatroubleshootingconte...

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Lilwarbler

The back button gives the illusion of closing out web sites, etc. It actually only changes the screen, everything is still open and using battery life. Erggh. Surely there's a solution, right? They wouldn't have sent this to market without solving this truly basic issue! Right? I hope we find something. I have a week left to cancel and return the phone.😣
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Trake

This method worked great. 1000 Thanks!

Click the triple dot to get options

Tap tabs to display a list of open tabs

tap X to close really close each tab

Now back will close Internet Explorer 10

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ironwolf

you can close apps by holding the back key and then just double tap the back key on running apps.

Please use plain text.