Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Connect to Lumia 521 WP8 from Windows PC

Counsellor
tgold
Accepted Solution

Connect to Lumia 521 WP8 from Windows PC

[ Edited ]

My past experience of managing my Nokia Symbian phones from a Windows XP PC has been with Nokia Software Updater, Nokia PC Suite and Nokia Suite. MS has not released XP drivers for their WP8 phones and so I have no PC connectivity from PC to my Lumia 521 and all my update enquiries and fulfillment are using the phone's wireless connections via the T-Mobile or WiFi. Also I am missing simple wired transfers of pictures and other media files. If I get myself a suitable Apple or Vista-or-above PC, will that allow Nokia Suite to connect and update or is there some different and maybe better or worse PC based management facilities? Thanks for any advice.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Connect to Lumia 521 WP8 from Windows PC

[ Edited ]

Currently there is no Desktop PC solution to update WP 8 phones so you have to use FOTA to update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

You need XP SP3 and WMP 11 or higher for your XP unit to recognise the Lumia as a MTP device. You can then just drag and drop media and office files to the respective folders on the handset.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tgold

WMP 11 includes drivers for WP8 Lumia phones?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

I have two XP SP3 machines with WMP 11 and have no problem accessing my 920 and 820 as described. Dismiss the message about drivers not found upon initial connection and just access the device which will show up in My Computer.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

tgold wrote:

WMP 11 includes drivers for WP8 Lumia phones?

No, but WP8 uses MTP for file transfer over USB which is supported first in that version of WMP.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tgold

93tid wrote:

Dismiss the message about drivers not found upon initial connection and just access the device which will show up in My Computer.

That's Brilliant! Thanks for that - after the error I had never thought to look.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tgold

[ Edited ]

93tid wrote:

You need XP SP3 and WMP 11 or higher for your XP unit to recognise the Lumia as a MTP device. You can then just drag and drop media and office files to the respective folders on the handset.

I am still struggling with file moving and copying. As said, a file system is visible and is available to drag and drop via Windows XP's Explorer but it seems to be curiously unrelated to the file system visible and available from within Windows Phone 8. I installed two file manager apps, File Manger by Rhythm Software and Pocket File Manager by Amaze Pictures and those show a quite different world within the phone from the PC view and I can not find the files dropped using Windows Explorer when using the Windows Phone apps. BTW the files I am now trying to make available on the phone are maps in .pdf form to be viewed using the Adobe Reader app. I am able to move such files into the phone by using emails and attachments. Suggestions or clues?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

You can copy PDF files to your SkyDrive from where they are accessible by the phone.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

T

tgold wrote:

93tid wrote:

I am still struggling with file moving and copying. As said, a file system is visible and is available to drag and drop via Windows XP's Explorer but it seems to be curiously unrelated to the file system visible and available from within Windows Phone 8. I installed two file manager apps, File Manger by Rhythm Software and Pocket File Manager by Amaze Pictures and those show a quite different world within the phone from the PC view and I can not find the files dropped using Windows Explorer when using the Windows Phone apps. BTW the files I am now trying to make available on the phone are maps in .pdf form to be viewed using the Adobe Reader app. I am able to move such files into the phone by using emails and attachments. Suggestions or clues?

This is a Lumia 521 ? There are no file manager apps that work with windows phone.

The phone has a documents, video, music, pictures and ringtone folder. The only folder for documents is on the phone the that is where your pdf file goes. emails/atachments?

Just use explorer and put it in the corrcce folder.

The only folders on the SD card are Music, pictures and videos. There is no documents folder on the SD card.

You have to put files in the correct folder or they will not be accessable from the phone.

The file managers you put on the phone are wasted space. The only apps that will work are in the MS store.

Please use plain text.