Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Connected in a non-compatible USB mode?

Counsellor
Kriminal

Connected in a non-compatible USB mode?

Well, first of all, I guess I should "howdy from a newbie" :smileyhappy:

I bought my Lumia 820 a few days back, and after having a few set-up quirks, things seem to be going quite well.

I can only see one problem left, and that's as the title suggests, and was wondering if you guys would be able to help with that one.

When I connect the phone up to the PC (running Windows XP SP3), and having Nokia Suite 3.6.36 running, it comes up telling me that the phone is 'connected in a non-compatible USB mode', preventing me from doing anything in Nokia Suite.

Any clues as to what I would need to do to correct this please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

Nokia Suite does not work with Windows handsets. Depending on how up to date your XP is you should be able to see the phone as an external drive in Windows Explorer.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The Lumia 820 is not compatible with Nokia Suite. There is a Windowsphone app but it only works with Windows 7 and 8. Users of XP and Vista have been left out. I suppose it is Microsoft's way of encouraging everyone to update. Even though you may get a few errors when connecting the phone to an XP computer, it should still connect as a usb drive and allow you to browse the phone na dto drad and drop stuff back and forth. 

Please use plain text.
atquae

I also get this problem but with Lumia 820 & Windows 7 and using the Windowsphone for desktop app! It is very frustrating. Took ages to get rid of Nokia suite and replace it with windowsphone. Information about this is very poor. Get the same message when trying both by cable or Bluetooth. I miss the old functionality of getting my messages on my computer. I think

a windows phone should be able to talk to windows much more smoothly.

I

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

atquae wrote:

a windows phone should be able to talk to windows much more smoothly.

I

You've said it. Perhaps you could join the rest of us and drop Microsoft a line as well using the link below.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Kriminal

Thanks for all the replies.

Even though it hasn't helped solve the problem, you've at least put my mind at rest by knowing that I'm not alone with this problem. :thumbsup:

I've also clicked on the link for the Windows Phone site, and logged my problem there - I think the more it gets mentioned, the more hope we'll have in kicking 'em up the bum to get it resolved.

Thanks again peeps. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

In all honesty you have not told us what your problem is, just that you have tried to connect with Nokia Suite and it did not work.

What are you trying to do and what are you expecting. In general I would advise you to search the forum as there are many topic related to this. Also this post may help as I am guessing it is what you are trying to accomplish.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
maurizio69

So, as far as i understood i must copy by hand all contacts ???

is it right ?

thanks for reply

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

No, it is not right. Where do you have your contacts stored now ?

Please use plain text.
maurizio69

onto Nokia Suite version 3.6.36
Please use plain text.
maurizio69

or better, contacts were on Nokia E71, i moved them into Nokia Suite, but now i'm noy able to move them into Lumia 820....
Please use plain text.
maurizio69

...it says :switch from file transfer to PC Suite, but i don't know were i have to switch it.....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

[ Edited ]

You have at least 3 possible ways to do this:

1. Upload your contacts from Nokia Suite to Skydrive and then download them from there to your Lumia

2. Export contacts in .csv format and then import them into your gmail, hotmail, live or outlook.com account. If you don't have one of these or don't want to mix up your contacts, you can always create one just for the purpose of having your phonebook and not use it for anything else or simply delete it after you transfer your contacts. Your Lumia can sync the contacts direct from one of these accounts when you set it up on the handset.

3. You can also try using the Transfer Your Data app on the Lumia, which may be able to transfer contacts and messages over bluetooth from your E71.

Please use plain text.
maurizio69

...and if i try to download the windowsphone app for desktop appear the attached advise.....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

maurizio69 wrote:

...and if i try to download the windowsphone app for desktop appear the attached advise.....

That is perfectly normal, I had to install this on my Win7 machines as well.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Kriminal

paulheu : the problem is that, as per the title, my phone is not showing as being connected to my PC when I plug it in.  This in turn prevents me from having any connection to things such as Zune.

Please use plain text.
maurizio69

thank you for reply.

a) skydrive giving problems during the app download, says that i have to update the device (bought yesterday...)

b) can you please tell me how i can export my contacts in .csv form ?

c) tried but says that is not able to transfer datas....

thanks in advance for your help

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Kriminal wrote:

paulheu : the problem is that, as per the title, my phone is not showing as being connected to my PC when I plug it in.  This in turn prevents me from having any connection to things such as Zune.

Zune does not work with WP8 phones. You should be able to see your handset as a device. What version of Windows Media Player do you have ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

maurizio69 wrote:

a) skydrive giving problems during the app download, says that i have to update the device (bought yesterday...)

b) can you please tell me how i can export my contacts in .csv form ?

c) tried but says that is not able to transfer datas....

a) there have been a few minor software updates since these phones were released - check here:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Nokia-Windows-Phone-8-App-Updates/td-p/1640082

Install the updates and try downloading the app again

b) In Nokia Suite : File > Export contacts

Full details of the variations of this procedure can be found here:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Windows-Phone-sync-and-transfer-options/td-p/13490...

c) It may not work with older Symbian S60 handsets

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Kriminal

lol.....I don't seem to having much luck with trying to connect this darn phone.

I've got version 11 of Windows Media Player, if that helps. :smileyhappy:

Initially when I plug the phone in, it comes up with the wizard, expecting me to have some kind of software (ie. a disc). Does this help shed any light on the 'problem'?
Please use plain text.