Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Controls in Lumia headphones (including Purity) do...

Registered Member

Controls in Lumia headphones (including Purity) don't always work

I have been using the headphones that came with my Lumia 800 and I've found erratic behaviour in the music controls. Mostly, they pause instead of skipping or don't respond at all).

On further testing, I've found that:

- Controls work without flaw, even recognizing clunky presses, WHENEVER THE SCREEN IS ON, regardless if the phone is locked or not.
- Turn the screen off, though, and everything goes haywire.

This has also been pointed out by other users:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1548246

http://discussions.nokia.com.ph/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Purity-In-ear-WH-920-controls-don-t-work...

Also, as pointed out by several users, the problem doesn't seem to change form phone to phone (even existing in different versios, 800 and 900), and doesn't seem to affect only the standard headphones, but also the Nokia Purity line.

Could this be a firmware issue? It can't be the headphones themselves, as they work fine with the screen on!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: Controls in Lumia headphones (including Purity) don't always work

Please use plain text.
fallenprogrammr

I have the same issue with my nokia lumia 900 as well.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lpaso

I confirm this bug too. It's really annoying to have an excellent headset with vol+ vol- and play/pause/prev/next, and being forced to have the screen on to use it...

Lumia 800 - FW 12070
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

My volume controls on the purity work every time. The start/stop sometimes need an extra long press to work. 

Please use plain text.
khaus87

I made an interesting discovery tonight that this does indeed point to a software problem. I noticed tonight that when using the Spotify app, the controls worked flawlessly! Everytime I use the headphones with Zune, however, I have the exact same issues as others in this thread. The controls seem to work fine while the screen is active but once the phone is locked the response is hit or miss (unfortunately it usually misses!).

I must admit I'm slightly baffled by this discovery. Given that Nokia and Microsoft have invested so much into this partnership I cannot believe that the controls for Nokia developed headphones on a Nokia phone running WP7 would not work 100% of the time.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jasperoliver

I wish I read these forums before buying the Nokia Purity Stereo In-Ear Headphones for my Nokia Lumia 900. Shame on me for thinking a company's branded headphones would work for its flagship phone. Oh, didn't think to check the in-line controls when the phone is locked before releasing to your new customer base? Pathetic. I already posted a lengthy response to the post below and don't have the energy for another, but I want people to know this is still a problem.

http://discussions.nokia.com.ph/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Purity-In-ear-WH-920-controls-don-t-

Please use plain text.