Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Custom Ringtones

Contributor
Facepalm
Accepted Solution

Custom Ringtones

I would like to know what is the reason of custom ringtones be less tnan 1 Mb and with duration of 40 sec. only? My old phone, nokia 3230, 7 years (!) old one (oh yes, it's an aweosme phone and it still works fine) already had an option to set any music as rington without any restrictions and now on new lumia 800 that stuff is just ridiculuos. That model already has a lot of problems. Some of them are being fixed, other will be (I hope). But what about simple customization? I don't like default ringtons - they are aweful. I wan't to set my own sound but I can't because any normal music takes at least 30 seconds for intro, so when the real music starts it has to stop already! Why 40 seconds and not 50 or 60? What's a real problem? I do understand, it's not totally nokia's fault because I believe it's OS restrictions but anyway, nokia had choosen WP7.5 as OS for it's phone, not on the contrary. Or is it microsoft who establish rules already? Same problem with Flash Player. Oh yes, Adobe announced they wouldn't provide FP software for mobile phones from now on but what the hell? What is about youtube? Yeah, it works (with issues but ok, not a big deal). So why there are no support for other Flash media? Microsoft guys were smart enough to put their сrappy softaware in such a cool designed device and set as much restrictions as they could. So now they are gaining money and nokia is being screwed up and loosing respect over the world. Now tell me please if there will be any update to remove such stupid restrictions for ringtones in the future or nobody cares?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

Hi Facepalm,

Thank you for your post and as this is your first post let me welcome you to the Nokia discussion forums.

Your post makes for interesting read but what I would recommend you do is if you do have any suggestions on features you would like to see implemented or changes to the Windows operating system then click on the below link which will take you to Microsoft Feature Suggestions web page where you can make such recommendations:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Professor

Many many moons ago I had to work with a certain American operator trying to sell a handset into them. One of their requirements was that you could not use MP3s etc. as ringtones unless they were less than a minute, I think it might have been as little as 40 seconds.

The reason - their sales of over-the-air ringtones was so big that they couldn't afford to let a phone into their market that bypassed their business model.

I don't think their requirement is still in place, but it is possible that this is a hangover from those days.....

The other reason might be that I have seen many devices have a small delay when loading MP3s, maybe microsoft have seen the delay be significant enough that the caller rings off before the ringtone has started playing?

But I agree it is a real pain, but it is quite easy to fix with audacity and it means you can trim any white space off the start to avoid any missed calls.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Facepalm

[ Edited ]

Raoul_Duke, thank you! =)

jacobsladder, totally agree.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

You can also find tousands of free ringtones here !!

http://www.tehkseven.net/ringtone/mp3-ringtones.html

Allyou need to do to avoid them showing in your music is to change there properties, then when you sync with Zune they won't show in your music :smileywink:

Just right click on mp3 and select properties and change before syncing, you can do this in batches by highlighting a number of files and doing the same thing , then Zune sees them as ringtones :smileyhappy:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

The 39sec or less requirement is quite simple and makes perfect sense.

30 seconds of ringtone is about 6 rings of a phone. Most calls route to voicemail after 20 seconds, or four rings.

Do you really expect your carrier to allow you 8+ rings just so you can hear your song? If there's a part of your song that you want to hear as the tone, use mp3directcut and make a snip of the loop you want.

I've been making mp3 clips of songs as ringtones for years and I've never once considered making a loop over 30 seconds. It serves no function.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Facepalm

I have no voicemail (turned off) so I can listen full song while phone is ringing if I want =)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Who's your carrier, and in what country?

In the US, if a call rings for 30 seconds or more then the caller is billed 1 minute of airtime despite the fact that the call wasn't answered nor routed to VM. Also, after the ringtime that's specified in the customer's call routing profile, the caller is given a message 24 (?) that the subscriber is not available, or something like that. Regardless... we don't get to hear our tones for longer than 30 seconds over her.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Facepalm

Vodafone, Portugal. Made a test and it took 1+ minute to stop ringing.

Please use plain text.