Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

De Profundis of an expensive, black, lucid, finnis...

gigidel66

De Profundis of an expensive, black, lucid, finnish paperweight.

I'm Italian and 46yo, live in Rome, and my name is Luigi Ferrara.
nokia lumia 800, carrier three.

my first Nokia was a 8110 "banana" in the second half of the 1996.
Since it, I EVER had a Nokia, and they ever were my principal phone.
I never was disappointed of them - may be only of the E65 because I discovered to need a pair of glasses:smileysad:
But I never had a phone like Lumia 800 ...
do you want use this smart phone ... don't worry ... it's "smart" because its working day finish at 17.00
- do you want call a number received in an e-mail or a sms ... you can't
- do you want attach a doc to an email ... you can't ... you have to open office, find the doc and then create an email ... not so difficoult ... well, if I have to attach two or more docs?!
Just a moment ... you can sync docs from pc to the phone!? ... no you can't
- do you want listen music while childs are sleeping ... you can't because the volume of the music is the same of the ring
- do you want replay to a sms and add another recipient ... no you can't
- do you want see how long was a phonecall after closed it ... you can't
- do you want send a contact info or a photo or any file via bluethooth ... you can't
- do you want to see at which number you sent a sms ... don't worry, you can't
- do you want have a backup, a sync to Outlook?
- do you prefer customize tile or installed apps?! or group the call history!?
- do you need volume profiles?!
- do you need a firmware upgrade?! ... simply you have to organize an holiday in Singapore.
ecc.

Next time I'll buy a phone, not an expensive, black, lucid, finnish paperweight.
Next time I'll buy a Mac.

best regards

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: De Profundis of an expensive, black, lucid, finnish paperweight.

ok......
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

All of your complaints are about Windows Phone and have nothing to do with Nokia. Did you not read up on WP7 before you bought into it?

You lose all credibility when you say you'd rather by mac/apple, who's known for the most closed OS's.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pauli_p

Wow, that was really constructive. Do you understand that Windows Phone operating system is made by Microsoft? Nokia doesn't have anything to do with the core functionalities. But I'd be surprised if you wouldn't appreciate pre-installed services/apps like Nokia Drive and Mix Radio which the competition doesn't have.
Please use plain text.
gigidel66

Dear pauli_p and anseio
I think that the speech is diametrically opposite.
Credibility is lost by the manifacturer that sells an inadequate and disappointing product at an exorbitant price, not the customer who complains.
Moreover, this happens to each of us every day:
never changed the restaurant after indigestion?never tried a new restaurant after the indigestion?! never been angry against the old restaurant that cooks bad?!
To be constructive, I would dine in the old restaurant to become the chef's victim until he learns to cook.

If you have nothing serious to say about the missing features I listed, we can do it this way, if you agree: next time, YOU'll return to the old restaurant, while I'll try a new one;
YOU will buy again a nokia with wp, while I'll buy a phone and, if you do not mind too much, even a mac.

ciao

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Again, none of your complaints are hardly secrets. The 'flaws', as you see them, are widely discussed and criticized. I don't understand why you're complaining about Nokia when all of these shortcomings have to do with MSFT.

WP7 is still a new OS and has a lot of growing to do. You're still in the category of 'early adopter'. If you don't like being an early adopter, I highly recommend that you return your device and wait for the OS to meet your needs.

There is simply no point whining about these things as if they were somehow withheld from you when you made your purchase.

I've used iOS and Android. Both nice, but neither 'move' me. I HAVE eaten at the new restaurant and continue to dine there. It is you who doesn't like the new menu.

Please use plain text.
gigidel66

Perhaps my Lumia is different from your ... on mine there is written NOKIA, front and back.
On mine, it is not written "attention, contains dozens of issues that make it suitable for early adopters only"

As you say, obviously I'm not the genius of consumers.
But evidently, Nokia is not the genius of manufacturers.
ciao
Please use plain text.
Sage

Also

good luck replacing your phone (lumia) with a computer (Mac)......
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

anseio wrote:

Again, none of your complaints are hardly secrets. The 'flaws', as you see them, are widely discussed and criticized. I don't understand why you're complaining about Nokia when all of these shortcomings have to do with MSFT.

WP7 is still a new OS and has a lot of growing to do. You're still in the category of 'early adopter'. If you don't like being an early adopter, I highly recommend that you return your device and wait for the OS to meet your needs.

There is simply no point whining about these things as if they were somehow withheld from you when you made your purchase.

I've used iOS and Android. Both nice, but neither 'move' me. I HAVE eaten at the new restaurant and continue to dine there. It is you who doesn't like the new menu.

Whilst they may not be sectrets, if only one persons says there a fault, whilst even one may know of the fault, everyone will also assume that it cant be that bad as only one person has othered to complain. if you all complain then maybe both Nokia and Microsoft will do something about it.

Also Early adopter, what are you on about. MS has been producing win phones OS for years, its just that nokia hasnt used it for very long. All windows based phones basically do the same thing. MS has always blame the manufacturers of the devices for its lack luster performance in this area, where in reality it is lacking features itself.

Time will tell how MS forcing us all to use the same platforms (on phones, tabletts, pc etc) with their wp8 OS will go. i currently have WP8 on a pc at home. and its just a different OS, hard to navigate (i would suspect its mainly due to it being so different to any other windows based system on pc.)  But whether we like it or not WP8 is coming and lets hope for the phone its better than what we currently have.

PS say nothing and you get nothing. even a complaint can be a positive in the right hands.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Forcing, forcing, I mean really.. No one is being forced to do anything last time I looked there was still choice.

As was correctly stated WP7 is still in early adopter status, MS may have been making a mobile OS for a long time but this isn't Win Mo something completely new.

I do agree that if you have an issue by all means complain that's the only way a product get's better (read ios and Android) WP will get better but some of the complaints are completely eroneous.. Do some research, this is a big investment, don't blindly buying somethinng come on here and **bleep** about it. It will get lost in the static and someone who has a genuine problem doesn't get the help they need.

Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

@jaraduga

Are you a WP7 user?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
donaldvc

Excellent post - I sympathise in some ways, but my experience with the Lumia 800 has been entirely positive. I upgraded from an iPhone, knew what features were available from this Nokia Windows phone, and could not now imagine moving to another type of phone. In particular, battery life is excellent (at least 50% more than my iPhone), sound quality is first-rate, actions are fast and fluid, and the built-in email client integrates perfectly with my work Exchange and allows me to review and screen messages rapidly and efficiently. I loved my iPhone, but now prefer the Lumia. Each type of phone will have it's limitations, and it seems that for you the Lumia has just too many. I'm curious, however, about some of your criticisms, which don't match with my experience of the Lumia's functionality.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Excellent post?!?! REALLY!!?! Are we reading the same one?
Please use plain text.