Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Discovered cause of Battery Drain lumia 920/82...

Contributor
v4mp123

Discovered cause of Battery Drain lumia 920/820

Hi,
I just registered to tell you following:

I discovered the culprit that is responsible for the "semi random" battery drain.

@Home my Lumia 820 "shines" with a good battery life.
@Work:
- without any additional Installed app
- no active background task (except standard entries: "extras+info" and Nokia Music)
- every (backround)sync disabled (mail, also xbox, music.....)
- display low
- disabled location service
- closing all apps with multiple clicks on back-button
- uninstalled skype
- disabled apps @ lockscreen
- battery saver on
- backup disabled
- nfc disabled
- microsoft account sync only 1x per day
- disabled roaming (my provider is a roaming monster :-) roams into networks of other providers).
- 2x fully discharged + fully charged + 12 hours on powersupply
- and every other suggested energysave option/action i could find on internet and here in forum -> except hardreset

With all above mentioned methods the battery still gets/got literally eaten away at work in IDLE.
I had it next to me with monitor off. Only checked once per hour and it died in ~8-11 hours. No call no message no nothing.

I was curious why it only happens at work: The difference of the network coverage is, that at home it is far more inferior. I have to search for a spot in my house where i can use it for calling somebody.
So Internet is not even an option (also no HSPA+ coverage throughout the village). Normally you would have less battery life at places with less connectivity. But not in that case.

I investigated further: on the way to work I use it for surfing ~50min - 1hour -> there i loose 7-9% of my battery. (very good result for driving with car => many connection losses)
As soon as I reach the city where the Lumia reaches the HSPA+ network it begins to drain veery fast.
HSPA+ needs much more power than UMTS and I guess normal HSPA!

I compared the behaviour with the Samsung Galaxy S3 (colleague's phone) and noticed a small but profound difference:

After you "wake" the S3 from idle it will show on the screen, that it uses UMTS and not HSPA/HSPA+... as soon as you start surfing or start an app that connects to the internet the S3 switches immediately to HSPA+. After a little time the Samsung switches back to UMTS.
The lumia behaves differently: It detects HSPA+ and uses it. Also in idle!?
I followed this obvious lead and wanted to disable HSPA/HSPA+ -> unfortunately it only lets you disable 3g as a whole (UMTS/HSPA) so I switched to 2G only.

While I am writing this my L820 is unplugged 6hours now and
after much heavier use than normal (mailing, surfing with 3g while driving 45min home [which dropped the charging-level multiple times faster than gaming!], 1h gaming, 10 minutes calling)
the remaining battery life is at 70% with estimated time remaining: 1day 7hours left (after writing the whole story it went up to 2days 4hours with 69%... but i guess thats because its idleing).

This behaviour is also the explanation why some people are affected and some aren't.

Summary of change: from initially 8hours idle and not even touching the phone -> to finally using it now with 70% after 6hours with 1day 7hours time remaining.

Additional info: I live in Austria (Europe; no kangaroos ;-)) --> so I have a Lumia 820 with the german firmware without the update, which was released in USA and Canada:
Revision: 1232.2109.1242.1001

So please implement a similar function like the Samsung S3 ... or just as a start: let us manually turn off UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ separately! Surfing with 2g is no fun:squint:.

Sorry for the extensive and long story/facts ;-)

Regards
V4mp

Please use plain text.
buzi

Re: Discovered cause of Battery Drain lumia 920/820

Hi v4mp123,

i'm also using a Nokia Lumia 820 and i'm also living in Austria.

To shorten my story, i recognized the same battery behavior like you.

H+ is a real battery killer, but also in just H-Mode the battery last for 10-12 hours.

I use the Lumia with the network provider "3".

For testing, i inserted a SIM-Card from A1, for Not-Austrians: it's another provider with same settings on the Lumia.

In passive mode, just laying on the table, the Lumia displayed just 3G, wenn surfing the web it switched to H oder H+ and after finishing surfing it switched again immediately into 3G.

The battery life was much better than with the network provider "3".

What network provider are you using?

Kind regards

Please use plain text.
Contributor
v4mp123

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply buzi.

I also have "3" as provider. Seems fishy...

The only difference I know between A1 and 3 is that 3 is a heavy national roamer.

Some facts:

- 3 has only 3g network

- 3 used the last few years the A1 network for 2g coverage (and uses it ~6 month till the contract ends with A1)

- 3 uses since a few month the T-Mobile 2g network

Summary:

Currently if you have 3 as your Provider you use the networks of three Providers. Maybe the competition/density between the "transmitter masts" results in heavy switching between these masts?

What do you think, is this possible?

If thats the case -> there is no method to really save efficiantly battery live.

I'll wait a few weeks if the battery will get better. Otherwise I'll buy the Mugen 1800mAh battery which was announced recently.

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/mugen-power-1800mah-extended-battery-for-nokia-lumia-820.html

Please use plain text.
buzi

I have done my "testing" in an area where just "3" and T-mobiles roaming is available with both perfect coverage.

When i do the seetings in 3G Mode, which means 3G is the highest available speed, the phone does not switch into "-3-", which is the name for the T-mobile national roaming network.

All bars of the network indicator are available.

For me, as a ordinary person, it seems to be, that the Lumia stays connected  into a kind of data mode, while it is not necessary contrary to the "A1" network, where the Lumia switches very fast between 3G, H and H+.

Maybe the Lumia is not very well implemented in the network from "3". It is just an idea, no clue if it is possible or all networks the same.

Please use plain text.
Elliot737

I can confirm that my battery drain problem is related to LTE  on my US Lumia 920, at home where signal is weak I get fantastic battery life, less than 2% drain an hour, lasts for well over a day with moderate usage. My work however is located in an LTE zone and as soon as I enter this area battery life becomes catastrophically bad, several times the phone has died on me before my shift even ends. Something like 15% drain per hour, sometimes worse., I pick up my phone and even though it has been completely idle for hours it is a bit warm to the touch. I have no idea what it is doing when it is just sitting there.

Trust me, I have tried all the tips from all the other users, none have worked. This is not a problem with background applications or some feature being switched on, I have tested this phone running bare bones no apps or a fully day on "battery saver" mode which seems to make no difference, the problem persists. The only way I can make it through the workday is if I put my phone into Airplane Mode, the drain then completely stops, again at less than 2% an hour.

I am amazingly frustrated by all this, my Lumia 900 never had this problem with LTE, I almost never gave the battery a second thought with my 900, but with the 920 I am constantly worried about being stuck with a dead phone, I have almost no apps installed on the phone because I am afraid of any additional drain on the battery. I have to put my phone in Airplane Mode if I plan on spending more than an hour in the civilized world, I am so unhappy with my experience and I really miss my Lumia 900. I really wish Nokia would acknowledge that this a problem with some 920 handsets, and it is a problem, we are all not suffering from some sort of mass delusion. I have spent weeks troubleshooting and trying to find the cause. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
v4mp123

[ Edited ]

@buzi: Could also be possible.

I know, that 3 branded phones have a firmware installed which treat the different networks as a 3 network.

e.g.: my unbranded L820 shows when in

- 3 own Network "3"

- A1 Netzwork "3 AT"

- T-Mobile Network "-3-"

What I read in other forums: branded phones show all three networks as "3".

Please use plain text.
buzi

I'm testing now the Lumia 820 with 2G network over T-mobile "-3-".

As i can say so far, the battery life is doubled or trippled. The testing is not  finished, but i would say somewhere between 2 days.

But there is something wrong with the power management. I recognized that when i switch off the phone and turn it on the battery capacity increase. For example i switch off the phone with 62% battery leftover and after booting the device the battery capacity is around 66%.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
v4mp123

[ Edited ]

Two freaks one thought :smileywink:
I am also using my phone 2g only (t-mobile mostly)
Pulled it from powersupply @ 0600 this morning. Heavy internet browsing while driving to work 50 minutes. Checkin mail and appstore a view times. And writing this text while driving home + browsing again. ==> after 9 hours 55% left. This results in an estimated batterylife of 2days

Ps: ignore different percentages shown after reboot. They are not accurate because it is only an estimation by measuring the output currency.

Please use plain text.
Tinku1

Hi,
I AM from India and I wish to buy this phone. Should I buy it???
Battery performance is my main concern...Does it last for 12 hrs if I just surf 1 hr and listen to music for 1 hr and talk for an hr on 3g??Pls help
Please use plain text.
Tinku1

By the way Salute to you Mr V4Mp..never heard of such a solution from any expert or mobile user...genius indeed
Please use plain text.
Contributor
v4mp123

1hr of surfing with 3g while driving drains my Lumia 820 ~25% (battery should be stabilised now)
1h idle with 3g drains 7%-9% per hour.

So 12hr is likely not possible with 3g and 1hr surfing.

If I don't level down to 2g my 820 drains fully with normal usage in about 10.5 hours.

Over last weekend with "Mobile-Data" disabled and only using WLAN with minimal usage it took the phone 32hrs to drain fully.

The phone itself is nice and I like it quite a lot. So I'll stick with it and level it down to 2g most of the time. For internet browsing I switch it to 3g... this will take a few seconds, but it is not a problem for me.

With 2g it should sustain ~20 hours minimum

Please use plain text.
Tinku1

Oh k thanx for another piece of wonderful advice..now I will surely buy this phone and will keep it on 2g while surfing is not required.
Just on more doubt and the last one..
Since this device does not have gorilla glass do U think its screen is more vulnerable to breakage??Or have U heard of any such incident about lumia 820's glass breaking up??
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Gorilla glass is as vulnerable to breakage as any other glass, depending on your luck and circumstances. It is only scratch-resistant - it is not scratch-proof and definitely not break-proof.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
v4mp123

[ Edited ]

The Lumia 820 does not have the patented Gorilla glass. But as far as I know it does have a scratch-resistant glass.

Just an advice: Gorilla glass or not --> don't put your phone and keys in the same pocket !!

Please use plain text.
Tinku1

Got it!!!
Thanx everyone for ur advices and time..
So after all these sessions now there is only one question left in my mind..
Nokia lumia 820 or Samsung galaxy S3? Please give a detailed comparison in terms of price,specs,performance and everything.
Coz I want to gift one of these to my loved on on her birthday and so I wish to b very careful..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Lars88

Got the same thing over here. Got the Lumia 920 and it drains pretty fast. I can use it for 1 day and then I have to charge it. I also noticed my phone switching between 3G and H+ all the time. Is there something we can do about this????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Not a lot you can bo between 3G and H+ becauce both are variations of the 3G standard. If you are getting poor or intermittent 3G then could consider setting to 2G only. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cenobite

Exactly the same here, iam in Austria (Carrier "3") extreme idle drain when set 3g...on 2g low idle drain as expected.
Nokia, please fix this!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TJinTucson

I used to have the exact issue most of you are talking about. The only difference is (and this made me research a solution) was that the last time my phone discharged I had it in my shirt pocket and it started getting really really hot. I thought something was wrong with it. I imediately turned it off. I turned it back on and it showed a pic of the battery with a red line. The phone had discharged in a matter of seconds. I had fully charged it over the previous night and had just used the phone before putting in my pocket. I found after much research that not only did the battery need to be calibrated but the whole phone. I charged the phone all the way up and then downloaded a discharge app and ran that. Within about 30 minutes the phone was dead. I performed a normal charge on it to 100%. After that I have had no battery issues and it has worked normal. All electronic components on the phone have been recalibrated. Now it doesn't matter which network I am on they all seem to work the same as far as battery discharge.

Please use plain text.
misanigltd

My battery dies in less than 2 hours. what can I do
Please use plain text.