Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Do new Lumias have an FM radio receiver?

Contributor
TheWhiteRabbit

Do new Lumias have an FM radio receiver?

[ Edited ]

Seems unbelievable that the phones are not going to have this feature. And yet after searching the web I see more posts stating that they won't. Is it true?

Please use plain text.
Sage
liolisac

Re: Do new Lumias have an FM radio receiver?

How do you mean this? 

On my Lumia 800 I go to application "Music + Videos" and there I click "Radio". I connect headphonse and radio is working over FM frequency without data transfer or anything else. Headphones work as antena...

Hope this is what you meant...for me it is working...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TheWhiteRabbit

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. But I wanna know about recently announced Lumia 820 and 920. I checked the specifications on both and there's no FM radio.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kamenlitchev

I also was confused but 920 is not going to have FM radio. I guess it is because of the tight space for Image Stabilization and bigger battery.
Ericsson T10i -> Nokia 7110 -> Siemens C45, C55, M55, M65 -> Nokia 6131, N73, N82 -> HTC Wildfire, Desire HD -> Nokia Lumia 800 -> HTC Desire X -> Lumia 820 -> Sony Xperia SP -> Lumia 925 + Sennheiser CX 500
If I've helped, use the Kudos button to thank
:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TheWhiteRabbit

It's such a pitty, really. I thought this phone was the best of all announced flagships. One of the most important points here is that Windows is the primary platform for Nokia (and that means good offline maps). Plus, there's nice hardware.

However without an FM receiver I don't think that it is a phone afterall. Because this feature is crucial for me. I have to consider Ativ S now. Hopefully, Nokia maps will be available for offline use on all WP8 devices just like on the new Lumias.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

It is true that the new Lumia phones will not have an FM receiver and that this would upset some people but. in this age of internet radio it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Applications such as TuneIn Radio will allow access to thousands of radio stations from around the globe and provides a better quality of audio than FM could ever hope for. 

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

rayhipkiss wrote:

It is true that the new Lumia phones will not have an FM receiver and that this would upset some people but. in this age of internet radio it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Applications such as TuneIn Radio will allow access to thousands of radio stations from around the globe and provides a better quality of audio than FM could ever hope for. 

Ray.

Note, though, that when roaming (travelling) using cellular data can be costly, but FM radio will still be free.

Also, if one does not have a fixed data package, even in the home network, streaming audio from the internet can also be costly, where's FM radio will still be free.

And there are also still some radio stations that are not available on the internet.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

@Petrib

All good and valid points. But, to be honest I've never used the FM radio feature on any of the phones I've ever owned so for me I can see why FM isn't included on the new 920. Especially considering that radio broadcasters in the UK will be switching to DAB in the next few years and the FM frequencies will become unused. This may happen in other countries too.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

rayhipkiss wrote:

Especially considering that radio broadcasters in the UK will be switching to DAB in the next few years and the FM frequencies will become unused. This may happen in other countries too.

That's a very long way off, possibly 10 years due to the slow take up of DAB in the UK. Very few new cars have DAB so FM is here to stay. It's likely the UK will switch to the superior DAB+ standard before FM is switched off.

Personally I couldn't care less if my next phone has FM or not, it's certainly not a deal breaker given the fact that I can buy a stereo bluetooth headset with an FM radio built in for under £30 if I really want it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

Personally, I need the FM radio, hence I can'y buy the new Lumias.

Moreover the data connection can be expensive and doesn't have the same quality of the FM radio, unless you use a wlan ...

And, in any case, I couldn't find all the stations I use to listen to ...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If you want a new Lumia that badly simply buy a cheap headset as mentioned above, no big deal at all.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

I do understand people who want FM Radio included. To me it is more a question of battery time than data traffic over internet. FM Radio consumes much less battery capacity and it works everywere...
If you want FM Radio buy Nokia bluetooth headset BH-221. NFC bluetooth, FM Radio and the option to use any headphones wiyh 3,5 mm jack.
I would like to see a FM Radio built in also but that doesnt need a a headsey to be inserted for antenna. Would be lovely yo listen to FM Radio on the loudspeaker of the phone.
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

rayhipkiss wrote:

Ray.

The day you can walk around the uk without an internet package, or the small limited ones there are, and without dropping connection, or going over, i will give you money.

There is no reason why it shouldn't be included, as someone stated before, it is already included in the processor.

Seeing how only a few countries actually have the capacity to constantly listen to a stream, it is idiotic  for it not to be included.

For anyone who does feel strongly about the 'FM radio' I would suggest doing what I did, which was to go to the contact us section, and email nokia under 'feedback' about it.

You never know, if enough people mention it directly to them, they may add it into the phone as an update

Please use plain text.
Contributor

It's very sad that the 820/920 don't have FM Radio.

One of the great features of Nokia phones has been the Maps.

I've used Nokia Maps for navigation throughout Europe without data charges.

Similarly with the FM radio for listening at home & abroad. No data charges.

It looked as though 1-device convergence had arrived with camera, radio, music player, sat-nav, in the phone.

But now we have to buy an add-on for radio?

Dropping FM in favour of DABS would have been acceptable if the DABS receiver had been included.

Finding out about the lack of radio has made me stop & re-think about upgrading from Lumia 800 to 820/920.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PiElle

emcg50b wrote:
Finding out about the lack of radio has made me stop & re-think about upgrading from Lumia 800 to 820/920.

The same here.

But I''ve noticed that the new HTC phones and the Samsung Ativ ship without an FM radio too.

Why?

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

I don't think this is just a Nokia/ Windows issue. My main phone is an Android running ICS and it doesn't have an FM radio either. Having checked on the radio app I couldn't see that any FM station I'd ever listened to was missing but there were lots of stations I'd never seen before including BBC 5 and 6 which are only available digitally. I think this will just be the norm for all platforms soon.

In the short term if you don't have unlimited data perhaps the simple solution is just to keep whatever old phone you had just as an FM radio receiver given it will work without a calling or data plan. I'm sure most of us by the time we move on to Windows 8 or the equivalent state of the art on other platforms will have a stock of redundant phones. No one phone will do everything, losing FM radio I can live with.
Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

And can I add that the app I was using is Tune in Radio which Ray mentioned, which is brilliant. I'm in U.K but I really enjoy KCRW which is US public station and has some terrific live music. In the past I've only been able to access them via a laptop but can get the station and its podcasts on phone with this app.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Croxy

Trouble with radio apps is battery only lasts a few hours so they are hopeless. My Lumia 800 also has a radio and the Nokia support person was trying to tell me it didn't have one. I think phones are released in some countries with FM radio and without in others. In New Zealand they do not have them but my phone was imported from Hong Kong where Nokia released it. May be worth trying to see if the 920 has radio in other countries. Regards

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Henk2304

[ Edited ]

It is definitely a WP8 issue; I've read somewhere that it was simply a timing issue. FM radio didn't make it into the RTM of WP8. It could very well be added in one of the upcoming updates. Mind that WP8 is not (Windows CE based) WP7.5 with added features, but a complete new OS (loosely based on Windows RT).

Please use plain text.
anoyed

Its 2013 down load the app
Please use plain text.