Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Does anyone have a scratch on their Lumia 920?

Contributor
Irgi

It looks like i have a small scratch in that coating layer. Is there a way to repair it / polish?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

I also just figured out now a huge scratch between back and windows button.. even my finger can feel it.. another is between search and windows button fairly visible... 3rd is on top left side after 1 inch from the screen..

it is extremely annoying and I feel like the devices we are getting are not as good as the one shown on youtube for hammer and knife test...

my part of world Nokia Care is not Nokia that cares... they are going to put blame entirely on me....

now problem is that, I don't know how I got these extremely large starches.. even knife can't make these scratches.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gunsnroses_dxb

no.. N9 never got scratched for the entirely 2 years I used.. it was more solid build than Lumia 920...when it comes to scratches or dropping..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Houston

Some here. Many scratches on Lumia 920 surface. I keep it in my pocket with paper money and an iPhone 4s. The iPhone has no scratches on the glass surface. The Samsung galaxy that I used to use had no scratches either.

I called Nokia customer surface and they tried to point to a service center.

I will not recommend this phone to anyone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Paddy_BNE

Same here as everyone else. Small scratch, about 1cm long.

Always careful with my phone and my previous 2 iphones over 4 years have never had any scratches.

Hopefully I don't get anymore

Please use plain text.
speedyone

Really surprised at how easily the screen scratches, all i have done is taken mines out of the box half a dozen times to try and get the thing working to no avail and its already got an inch long fine scratch on the screen.

Please use plain text.
ar2s

i do i am very upset and disappointed. I only had mine a day and my son's is the same way!
Please use plain text.
ar2s

i did reach out to Nokia and the retail store both told me I would have to pay to replace or fix. they phones were both less than a week old! it is really sad! I will never buy Nokia again.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Usually, it's the coating and not the glass that's scratched. As much as I hate it, the screen protector on mine has served me well. 3 months later, it is full of scratches but the glass underneath is pristine I'm sure.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RealDraken

Mine was also scratched just weeks after I got it. I always have it in a dedicated pocket without anything else. It now has 3 deep scratches and many smaller ones. My previous phone, an HTC Sensation didn't have a single scratch after using it for 1½ year. My old HTC Desire has a single scratch after dropping it.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the glass. It's really a shame as I otherwise love the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
KinDn3sS

I am very careful as far as where to put my phone: whether it is in my pocket with nothing else in the same pocket, or in my office on the desk at work and/or home... I have so many scratches on the phone itself... how on earth did I get them? It just doesn't make any sense.

Please use plain text.
kashifsheikh

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. I've had several touchscreen phones in my time and all of them looked virtually new for the duration I had them. I've had this since December and its covered - they're weird scratches at that, they look like squiggles; the best way to describe it is as though someone has scribbled on my phone.

My left pocket has been my phone pocket for years, no keys, coins etc go into that pocket at all - its been so long, its actually an instinctive thing. I've never dropped the phone either. The only way I can explain these scratches getting there is due to my phone rubbing against the material inside the pocket - it would explain the squiggle like pattern of the scratches I guess.

What it doesn't explain is why it scratches so easily - if only I had my old Samsung Omnia 7 to compare it against.

I'm not happy as its only 4 months old and I always look after my things obsessively, I highly doubt Nokia would do anything about this anyway. I'm more annoyed that when its time to sell it like I've done with previous phones, I won't get top money for it. I'm worried what kind of state it will be in in a couple of years....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shriram_Jangid

Same here, after 1 month using Lumia 920 there are so many scratches on screen, i have used phone as my heart, always care it. When i went to nokia care they are saying there is nothing to do with it. All other phones having gorilla glass had no scratches at all but with Lumia 920 what nokia have done??? I am so disappointed with this only because of scratches. Nokia must do something about this because now it is coming as general problem in Lumia 920. I am very upset with this and feeling like nokia have cheated me.. 😈
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stretch350

There are ways to repair scratches on gorilla glass since it is more scratch resistant than other materials, yet not scratch proof.  I have been successful in removing scratches using the specific compounds in the link below with a glass polishing cloth.  I would recommend hand polishing over any power tools due to the possibility of burning the digitizer.

TDI-LLC Technology - Resurfacing Compounds

As far as the oleophobic coating that is usually present on gorilla glass that promotes a cleaner screen by repelling water, dirt, oils, etc., it can simply be reapplied using a felt tip marker that contains the oleophobic coating material.  This will bring your screen back to its slick/smooth surface.  You can find kits on Amazon, other websites, and here...

Hydrophobic and Oleophobic Cell Phone Treatments

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've got the 920 now for five months.  It has a lot of very faint scratches, which are fairly invisible in normal use.  Only when you look in a certain angles in a bright environment will show those scratches.

I even do the "sharp knive on the screen" thing once or twice a month to prove my Iphone-friends that that's not a problem with the 920 :-)

I am happy with the screen!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gr8mate

I have a 920 where sections of coating are missing. It is not noticable all the time. It can be easily demonstrtated by wiping a damp cloth over the screen. The areas the coating is missing stands out because the water dropplets do not bead up.

Please use plain text.
vikramd

I have a scratch on the left and center. Even on Nokia 900 i am having it.

Please let me know how do i remove the same.

Please use plain text.
Professor

I too have 2 slight vertical scratches after a few days use...I son't know if is due to slippind and retrieving to and from my jeans pocket or to some dust-sand on the finger when using the touch screen...

I ordered a screen protector bay isn't arrived yet..so...too late :smileysad:(

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Personally I think there is something fundamentally wrong with having shiny flashy phones that are prone to scratching. A phone is meant to be used and so should be tough and scratch proof. Unfortunately that is not what the market wants, which is a phone for showing off. Various manufacturers have introduced tough phones in the past but none ever sold well. 

Same with cars having painted bumpers. How is a bumper supposed to bump if you can't bump it without scratching it? Defeats the main purpose of a bumber. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shawzy007

I am pretty annoyed, I managed to get a scratch on my screen caused by grains of salt on a pub table! What a joke!

Seriously annoyed since its supposed to be able to withstand more than the avarage phone!

Please use plain text.