Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Electrocuted by the lumia while charging from ...

maxwal

Electrocuted by the lumia while charging from PC

I have my phone connected via USB (standard cable that came with it) and when I touch the metal around the camera I get shocked. It's not really painful but it's very noticable and makes me want to immediately pull away my hand. I'm familiar with electricity and I recognize it clearly.

This only happens from time to time though. When it does it can happen for maybe 5 minutes. I haven't really noticed anything special that I do when it occurs but I think it happens around the time I plug it in.

Anyone else got this issue? I'm a bit worried that the phone might be damaged or become damaged because of this?

Please use plain text.
maxwal

Re: Electrocuted by the lumia while charging from PC

It's a lumia 800.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Spac3Rat

Seems like you may have a faulty unit. It's not normal for any phone to do that.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Is there a chance it could be a build up of static and it's that earthing through yourself?

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
maxwal

While it's cold and I'm wearing a thick sweater, isn't static usually just like a small zap and then it is over? This just keeps going until I let go of the phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Flakmonkey

Definatly a faulty handset, i had the same issue with an ericsson t68 back in the day. Id contact the store you bought from for a replacement, failing that contact nokia.
If you want to confirm the fault, grab yourself a cheap multimeter/voltmeter from a hardware store and check the reading from contact with the phone and snap a pic, that way you have hard proof of the fault.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Just to isolate issues, does it do this when plugged into the charger?

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kaanman

I noticed the exact same thing yesterday and thats why im here now. It isnt a extreme charge but it def is a current going through your finger when touching the metal part on the back of the phone. I even had my father touch it to confirm i wasnt making it up in my mind. It actually made my hand shake for a couple of hours. Never noticed this when using the charger so it seems to be isolated to using your computers usbport. Lumia 800. I will contact nokia next week when i get back to work since I work in the telecom industry and got is phone through my employer.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Please verify that the computer is connected to a grounded socket. What is described sounds like a grounding problem with the computer where the discharge happens through you when you come in contact with metal/conducting parts. 

Other reasons could be:

• you have audio/video equipment connected to the computer which come with a grounded power plug; it could be that by grounding both the computer and the audio/video equipment you create a groundloop or differential in the grounding connection.
  • On your audio/video equipment there is a connection to an antenna system or aerial which creates a differential on the shielding where the same may occur.

In any case when connecting anything but  a non powered speakerset to the computer use a groundloop isolator.

Hope this helped,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
baandoptager

[ Edited ]

As far as im aware, the backplate for the camera isnt connected to the internals (is the backplate even metal?), i mean... isnt it on top of polycarbonate? I think youre experiencing a static charge. This seems odd. but sux for you.

Please use plain text.