Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Facebook notifications not working

Counsellor
kev222

Facebook notifications not working

I have the facebook notification settings set to "toast and tile count" and all boxes ticked (including "message"). But I do not get any notifications or a tile count when I get my friend to send me a test message. I waited over an hour on two occasions. Then going into the facebook app after the hour, the messages are there and waiting.

Is it because I have facebook linked in the people hub as well as the FB installed? (which also doesn't give me any alerts incidentally)?

I've tried all the usuals, reboot, battery pull, airplan mode on and off, etc.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

If you go to outlook.com and login with the Microsoft account you use on your phone, then go to the upper right and click your name, select account settings. On the left menu now go to Permissions then Manage your accounts. You should see linked accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin if you have them. If Facebook is not there, you need to add it and give permission for them to be linked. If it is there, you may want to try and remove it and add it back again and then give it a little time to sync and see if that works

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

Thanks! I had to click "my name in the top right > edit profile > manage > facebook" and a lot of the permissions weren't ticked. I've ticked them all so hopefully after some sync time that will work.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Excellent!

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

The FB live tile is now working whereas it wasn't before. So I guess the sync has completed. But push alerts are still not working. They work for other apps (e.g. whatsapp).

Are we sure the people hub FB connection isn't preventing the official FB app from alerting?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

A telling silence. Does anybody with a lumia 820 or 920 have facebook working outside of the people hub? And by working I mean, getting toast alerts, live tile notifcation count and when they send a message or post something it actually appears on facebook. All with the 'official' FB app.

Or am I going to have to make do with the people hub and it's very limited FB functionality and zero alerting. Making do is something we Lumia owners have to do more often that not it seems. Windows 8 simply sucks as a mobile OS.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Inside app setting turned on??

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

For me..there is no consistency .. Sometime it works sometime doesn't ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

Yes. Set to "toast and tile" and all boxed ticked. All the usual reboots, battery pull, app reinstall, airplan mode on/off, etc. tried.

Seems to be a problem a lot of people are having. I've come to terms with the fact it will probably never work. I just want to know if ANYONE has facebook working (and I working as defined above in my post 2 up, not via the people hub).

Thanks anyway. I appreciate you trying to help.

So has any 820/920 owner got a working FB?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Are you using the small tile or big tile?? Ive been looking some more into it and several conflicting solutions and ideas alright.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

Currently the medium sized tile (the square). But it wasn't working with the small one either.

I've been doing a lot of tests and it's better than it seemed at first. I get notifications for replies on my status (albeit often hugely delayed, but sometimes almost instant) but not direct messages. I wonder if the "messages" tick box in the FB app notification settings means FB chat or something and you just can't get notifications for direct messages? (in a similar way to how there's no option to get notifications for likes). I guess the app is just limited and notifications a bit flakey. At least it half works now.

I might try some of the other 3rd party FB apps. Will post here if any success. Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
ruitsbarbosa

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 running 7.5 and I'm also experiencing this issue. Facebook integration in the Messages Hub doesn't get several of my messages while many of the messages I send never make it to Facebook.

I have tile and toast notifications for Messages active on the Facebook app but it doesn't work either. It works great on my iPhone...

It would be great if Microsoft would fix this :/
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

If I try to send a direct message from the official FB app, then it never makes it to facebook either.

Was all fine on my iPhone too. It's like MS decided not to bother trying with the FB app because they have the people hub. Which might be okay if the people hub didn't lack so much FB functionality and notifications.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

there can be delays before it hits fb its never been really consistent from what ive read on it

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

This is consitent. Every direct message I send *will not* get there. 100% of the time. It isn't a FB delay. I'll try yet another reinstall, but I won't get my hopes up.

The official iOS fbook app (after a few updates, it was rubbish to begin with) had no problems for the whole year I was using it. So we know it's possible to do a fully working mobile FB implementation. Microsoft just haven't.

Edit: I should point out I'm not a massive apple fan, hence why I moved to a nokia windows phone. But the facts are the facts.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

FYI: I figured out why my FB private messages never send with the official app. It's when I use emoticons in the message. Works fine for just text. Something to keep in mind if you have the same issue with Win 8 FB app.

I promise I'll shut up about this soon, but one question I'd really like to know. Does ANYONE using the microsoft FB app for windows 8 get toast notifications for incoming FB *private* messages? I suspect it's not supported, but I'd really like to be sure. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
agurmeza

i have a L810 for tmobile and my toast and live notifications work fine
Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) Owner
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kev222

[ Edited ]

Thanks Agurmeza. Definitely for private messages as well as normal wall posts/comments?

I spoke to my colleague who just got a 920 and he also does not get notifications for private messages or friends requests (and possibly other alert types, but not tested yet) despite getting notifications for normal wall posts and comments fine. Which is identical to my issue with the 820.

If it works on L810 then I guess it's something subtle to with the combination of L820/920 and the code of the official app. One for Microsoft to hopefully fix at some point.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
agurmeza

for private messages i get them through text instead
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
agurmeza

i usually get the notifications via "me" hub