Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Fm radio in lumia 620

Advisor
TaSac
Accepted Solution

Fm radio in lumia 620

There is no fm radio in lumia 620.
Is there any way to get fm radio except internet radios?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Fm radio in lumia 620

[ Edited ]

No, that is not possible because Microsoft has not added support for FM radio to the WP8 operating system. What you could do instead is buy a bluetooth headset that has an FM radio built into it, you can find these on various online stores from prices as low as £25.

Please use plain text.
kardan

Lumia 620 uses Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 msm8277 chipset. According to manufacturer's own information, chipset supports fm radio. But there is a footnote: "Requires additional components".

https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/snapdragon-s4-product-overview.pdf

What are those additional components? Headphones are always needed (antenna). I think Qualcomm does not mean this. There might be some other components.

If I was a Nokia marketing director, I would tell everybody if fm radio will be supported in the near future. I think there will not be fm radio at all, even though there are some rumours telling WP8 Apollo+ update includes support for fm tuner.
Please use plain text.
kardan

I just found this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff707835(v=vs.105).aspx

If this Microsoft's information is true, they have no plans to enable fm radio in the next WP versions either. Note that word "later" in the following text. It's copied from the linked page.

"FM radio is supported only in apps that target Windows Phone OS 7.1. If you use the FMRadio class or other
classes in the Microsoft.Devices.Radio namespace in apps that target Windows Phone 8 or later, an error
message indicates that the FM radio feature is not available."
Please use plain text.
Advisor

This doesnt solve the problem, enable fm radio, why should i be forced to buy an extra gadget when it is possible to have it on the same gadget??? this is not a solution at all
Please use plain text.
danish_az

Dear Nokia.. Kindly tell Why r u/microsoft so scared of puttin fm radio in a set.. Its a pretty elementry gadget.. And if ur in a country like pakistan with high intrnt prices and frequent power outtages, radio is a must.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Radios are a thing of the past. They are not a must.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
navees

i think then majority of people livin in past? cmon dude, fm radio is an essential gadget, not jst for music, even many workin proffessionals use it to hear news, and other informations lik local news etc, its pretty good to hear news while u travellin wen u dnt hav much time to get on internet to check weather to read all news. 

Please use plain text.
KCE1

Um, radio ISN'T a thing of the past, and I resent being told that it is.  I also resent getting an 'upgrade' from a phone that had radio (an 'old fashioned' Nokia 6303) to a 620 that doesn't.  Not Nokia next time, then.

Please use plain text.
KCE1

[ Edited ]

It gets better - I've just tried accessing BBC iPlayer, only to be told "Your device is not able to support BBC iPlayer". "Are you using an Android tablet?"  No, but I will be next time.  Samsung here I come.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ja_lama

Since Lumia 820 and 920 is getting FM radio ... will it get L620? I believe S4 chipset does support FM radio but wonder whether there's another issue like memory limit?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

KCE1 wrote:

It gets better - I've just tried accessing BBC iPlayer, only to be told "Your device is not able to support BBC iPlayer". "Are you using an Android tablet?"  No, but I will be next time.  Samsung here I come.

A samsung tablet replacing uour phone,my oh my thats clever.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sandilumia

hi guys tryto find in your store the app named

tunein radio, it is a free app and the developer is tuneIn.

try it and repost your feedback

P.S. for me it works

bye

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

sandilumia wrote:

hi guys tryto find in your store the app named

tunein radio, it is a free app and the developer is tuneIn.

try it and repost your feedback

P.S. for me it works

bye

The problem with that is it needs an internet connection which some people have expressed is no good to them as it can be very expensive in their country. I personally do use Tune-in Radio and couldn't be bothered with FM radio but that's just me. Others may disagree,

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rajbow

agreed internet radio is cutting edge. but there are people like me who would not want to spend data rates beyond a limit. and for that I would be happy to have FM radio. Plus+ I am born and brought up in my city with Radio and we  have 10+ FM channels with a lot of rich variety of content in that creatively presented. I was on the street driving for almost 14hrs yesterday and my car radio was my saviour. of course i used my drive app on my 620 to find my way couple of times to areas where I am not familiar but never bothered to turn on the mix radio on my phone. there are lot more than songs which one would like to here.

A radio option, hardware supported but os api not exposed is a something to think about a lot. I request nokia to bring forward a nokia specific update patch atleast to enable the radio api and some tested radio app down the line.

I am happy to develop one for Nokia if required.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rajbow

i would still use a nokia. i have did a sony/samsung/iphone round and i am now happy to be back to nokia.
Please use plain text.
Sage
JackB

This has to be one of the dummest statments on the forum. I suppose companies like Sony, Samsung etc. who seem to be doing better than Nokia just go the trouble of designing their phones to include a radio for the fun of it. I doubt very much if  anybody has not chosen a particular phone because it includes a radio, and i am also sure that a lot of people have not chosen a particular model because it doesn't include a radio.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samuel1989

[ Edited ]

TaSac, the Lumia 620, 520 and 720 entry-level phones have no FM radio hardware, the only maybe? entry-level phone to have FM radio is the Lumia 625.

And kardan, that's Qualcomm's developer's specsheet you looked at and linked to. The best way to know whether a Lumia phone have FM radio hardware or not is to check its specs at http://developer.nokia.com/Devices, select the Lumia phone to see its specs though most of the phones' info may be inaccurate and will be updated when the time comes.

Please use plain text.
Sage
JackB

Personally i believe that radios will be there long after Nokia as a mobile phone manufacturer has ceased to exist, or maybe Nokia and yourself know something that the likes of Samsung , Sony, LG, Motorola etc. and the rest of us don't know.

Please use plain text.
tarana

there is NO radio on Nokia Lumia 620, but you can download on applications .. check your nokia care center and pick up a pamphlet.. which is listing the application to download

psychomania wrote:

No, that is not possible because Microsoft has not added support for FM radio to the WP8 operating system. What you could do instead is buy a bluetooth headset that has an FM radio built into it, you can find these on various online stores from prices as low as £25.

psychomania wrote:

Please use plain text.