Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Forgotten Nokia Lumia 920 Lockscreen Password

Contributor
Lumia920Fan
Accepted Solution

Forgotten Nokia Lumia 920 Lockscreen Password

Hello!

Today I changed my lockscreen password and now I can't remember it. Is there any way to remove the password without hard resetting the device? If not, how do I perform a hard reset without voiding my warranty. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Re: Forgotten Nokia Lumia 920 Lockscreen Password

[ Edited ]

Do a search for 'hard reset lumia 920' here or on google.. There's plenty of posts on this.

A hard reset will be required. Unless you have the backup function on and have the settings for internet on your SIM keep in mind you will loose all SMS messages and previously unsynced data/pictures/music/app and game settings.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia920Fan

A hard reset won't void my warranty though?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Not that I am aware of. But obviously I do not speak for Nokia

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia920Fan

Thank you for your answer, however the 3-button code that is described as a hard reset basically works as a soft reset for me. Can you tell me exactly how I am supposed to perform it?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Hard Reset : Press Power + Volume(down) + Camera keys until the phone vibrates Then release the power button but keep the volume and camera keys pressed down for another 5 seconds.

Soft Reset : Press Power + Volume(down) keys  until the phone vibrates (about 8-10 seconds).

..If nothing works, you need to visit Nokia Care along with a proof of ownership (Bill / Invoice)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

There is a reset method to restore the phone to factory defaults in case you have forgotten your pass code.

Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if successful an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen. Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down
The phone will now reset and boot up automatically into an out of the box condition and restored to factory defaults. (Credit to user CJlim for finding this reset).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

@farby

That reset is for WP7.x devices and does not work on WP8...

---

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

paulheu wrote:

@farby

That reset is for WP7.x devices and does not work on WP8...

??

Which that ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

The one you posted

---

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia920Fan

Thank you for your answers, however I'm taking the phone back to where I bought it from since a hard reset won't work.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Lumia920Fan

Tried the method rayhipkiss advised me to try. I have now seen two cogs spin around for 10 minutes. How long does this usually take with about 20GB of the storage space used? I'm really grateful for all your answers.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

The reset will take a while.. just leave it alone and have abit of patience.

---

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chesz

this sure works..tried it
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jayp1

I am using a Nokia Lumia 920 and totally pleased with the unit. i used a screen lock yesterday and forgot the code hence i am unable to get to use the phone. tried the soft reset many gave and i also tried the two methods popularly given for hard resets as well. still no luck.

would love to have more advise on whether to have it on power cable connected or to have the buttons pressed in the sequence or press and hold all buttons in that sequesnce etc

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kanchimaya

im too tensed about my phone.....its nt working at all....help me

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

kanchimaya wrote:

im too tensed about my phone.....its nt working at all....help me

If your phone isn't working, even after performing a reset, then you will need to take the phone to a Nokia Care Point.

http://nokia.com/support

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
QiPPsas

how long is it gonna take? couse right now its just 2 cymbols spinning and they been doing that for like 5 hours now.

rayhipkiss wrote:

There is a reset method to restore the phone to factory defaults in case you have forgotten your pass code.

Make sure the charger is disconnected.
1. Switch the power Off.
2. Press and hold the Volume down and connect the charger, if successful an exclamation mark (!) is shown on the screen. Then input Keys in the following order:
1. Volume up
2. Volume down
3. Power
4. Volume down
The phone will now reset and boot up automatically into an out of the box condition and restored to factory defaults. (Credit to user CJlim for finding this reset).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
innokuous

[ Edited ]

I was a little worried when some people here said the turning gears spun forever!

and that this method only worked on Windows 7 Phone!

But WOW! 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
innokuous

Well guess what paulheu...you are completely, totally, infinitely DEAD WRONG! This reset DOES WORK!

I just used the 

Please use plain text.