Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Former Nokia E-Series Users with the new Lumia...

Advisor
BBorges

Former Nokia E-Series Users with the new Lumia? Feedback and Opinions please!

Hi guys,

From reading the forums, it seems like a lot of the Lumia folks are somehow new to Nokia, which is great for the company.

As a long time Nokia user and a big fan of the E-Series (6682, E51, E71 and currently using the E6). I am very happy with the E6 phone (awesome business phone) BUT the 3G network speed a lot of times is very limiting, so I started to consider upgrading my phone, and the current option is the Lumia series.

I was curious about feedback from E-Series users who jumped on the Lumia series: any feedback on the WP8 compared to the Symbian?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BB

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

Re: Former Nokia E-Series Users with the new Lumia? Feedback and Opinions please!

there are many advantages as there are disadvantages.

the best part is that you can still stay with the nokia hardware which, imo, is superior.

symbian, while very versitle many software options (now called apps) and a mature OS, just has not evolved enough to keep up at this time with the main 3 OS's. IMO, is is not because of what it can do, becuase IMO symbian is still superior in many respects, but the eye candy and user interface, even on belle is not to where the wp8 devices are.

once you have a wp8 device, either a 920, 820,822, 810 here in the US, you will notice right away how FAST and SMOOTH the UI is in comparison!

the email client, while simplified with the options, is very smooth and in my experience has not locked up or slowed down one time...and that is with 3 IMAP, 2 exchange and 1 pop running.

having many nokia devices starting back from the 90's with a 2160, thorugh the communicator series with s80, then s90, then s80 again, then through s60 (v1, v2, v3) and then ^3 and belle....i think that after a few days, maybe a week, if you are looking at the positives over any drawbacks, you will most likely stick on the lumia device. :smileywink:

to date....THE biggest issue i have is with swype....it isnt there yet. not even an option. but the text offers are really good.

hope that helps.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Re: Former Nokia E-Series Users with the new Lumia? Feedback and Opinions please!

I second what Ceroberts has said. While Symbian is a very solid platform and choice, it has not managed to keep pace with today's trends. That being said, it has served my needs very well over the years, and even today when bringing the N8 out today to play with it, it is a nice phone with Belle Refresh and has done everything very stable and reliably that I've asked of it in the time I've owned it :smileyhappy:. I admit I do miss it sometimes.

If you're a speed demon looking for LTE speeds or what-not, I am sure you will be happy with the 920. There are a bunch of here with the 920's , and we've all enjoyed how fast and fluid and reliable the phone is. It is definitely a step up from Symbian, you appreciate how fast and beautiful transitions and getting everyday tasks done really is.

Music and video playback is great, email is great and easy to use and reliable, the whole device is pretty to look at. I have not tired of the animations and eye candy yet, I doubt I will to be honest. I would suggest getting the 920, and having the E6 as a backup or second phone. My N8 is my backup to my 920, and they're both great to have around, it's definitely a purchase that you won't regret with the 920 :smileyhappy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Seeing how Nokia has been involved with how Windows Phone is developing and will develop I am pretty sure Symbian would have gone pretty much the same route as the one Windows Phone is going now development wise.

It is my opinion that Nokia choose to go with Windows Phone because it turned out that Symbian had become way too much of a 'bolt on the next feature' instead of a lean and mean OS. It would have required a complete rewrite from scratch and Meego would have taken about as long to get to the same level of maturity as where Windows Phone was and is at much, much more cost to Nokia. Money which simply was not there at the time. The choice to go with WP may be 'controversial' but in a few years it will turn out to have been the only viable and correct choice I am sure.

The whole reason Elop came in and former management had to go (IMO) was that they choose to go at it alone and basically forced development to keep trying to make the available options work. Symbian, while good at its core and while it lasted was really doomed and would not be able to keep up. Now that we are starting to see what Nokia is bringing to the WP table I think the king of yesteryear just might get back up and rule once more in the years to come.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BBorges

Roberts,

You are correct regarding the hardware, I went to the AT&T store yesterday to check out these phones (first step taken!), and they only had the Lumia 900 on stock - apparently the 920 is on back order? - and it is indeed a very solid hardware!

Glad to hear the good feedback on the email client. I currently have (1) Exchange and (1) Gmail running on the E6, and it works fine, but I can't add another Exchange account.

Thanks again for the feedback,

BB
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BBorges

Okay, went to a AT&T store yesterday and after playing with a new Lumia 900 on few comments / questions:

- Solid, but bulkier than the E6. The E6 definitely has that easy-to-carry feel to it.

- I am used to the physical keyboard, it feels great typing on the E6, but I guess it is a matter of time to get used to it.

- Fast 4G! Nice and snappy!

- Where is the Ovi Maps?! This is a big issue, I could only see (find) something called "AT&T Navigator" and "Bing Maps". It seems to me like AT&T is pushing the add-on Navigator so they can actually charge for the subscription.

Could someone confirm that even if not installed on the AT&T handsets, that I could upload the Nokia Ovi Maps and all the Ovi Package and NOT have to use the AT&T programs?

Or even better, could I simply "format" the entire phone and have it back to original Nokia software and settings? I hate all this junk AT&T puts on their phone.

Thanks again,

BB
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

There is a huge change from symbian to WP. Some good and others not so good. Mostly it just takes a bit of getting used to. A year after my first Lumia move, I still have a foot in every camp. Phones on my bedside table are an N8, N9, Lumia 800, Lumia920 and 2 androids. What a mixed bunch and amazingly I don't have any problems switchin from one to the next on a daily basis. Too me, they are all different but no less or more functional than the next. The one stand out star among the crowd is the Lumia 920. It just has that little something lacking in the rest. Definitely best and slickest UI and a step forward. The way of things to come and the future of mobile devices.

And you wont have problems with exchange accounts. I have 4 on mine.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

I think tou should buy the upcoming Lumia 620 if price matters. If price dont matter gp for 920 which is above Lumia 900 in every aspect. The screen is amazing on Lumia 920, simply just crazy excellent...

Check out the phones here:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/?page=1&filter1=all

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BBorges

Ztuka,

Are you sure about the Lumia 900 and 4G? The salesperson had emphasized that it supported 4G and it seemed pretty fast when I tried out Youtube. Well, I would go with the 920 anyways, 4G would be a priority.

And regarding the AT&T Navigator, any way of removing any AT&T software and having the phone based on original Nokia software (Maps and Drive) ?

Thanks

BB
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

unfortunately, rerformating the device will put all the ATT stuff back on it.  it is part of the default rom.

but you can delete it off the device and manually download:

nokia maps

photobeamer

smart shoot

cenemagraph

trasfer my data

yousendit

creative studio

app highlights

panorama

nokia music

nokia maps

nokia city lens

nokia trailers

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BBorges

Very good news Robert,

Please confirm that I can use Nokia GPS (offline, online, and all different modes they offer) without having to subscribe to any AT&T Navigator plan.

This is definitely a big plus. Currently I have an unlocked (non AT&T) E6 and the Ovi Maps / Drive is simply the best thing and the fact that I upload maps office and use them at any time is great!

I would be purchasing the Lumia 920 thru AT&T, so I dont want to be locked to their software.

Thanks again, very clarifying!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

BBorges wrote:

Could someone confirm that even if not installed on the AT&T handsets, that I could upload the Nokia Ovi Maps and all the Ovi Package and NOT have to use the AT&T programs?

Or even better, could I simply "format" the entire phone and have it back to original Nokia software and settings? I hate all this junk AT&T puts on their phone.

Nokia has Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive available for Windows Phone. Because it was written from scratch and basically it is about a year since the first version was released it is not as mature as the Symbian version but it is under constant development and catching up fast. Nokia Maps technology is largely integral to Windows Phone 8.

Removing apps is as simple as press and hold the app, hen choose delete from the pop up menu on WIndows Phone in the app list. You can also choose to not have the App's live tile on the start page,but still have it available in the applist.

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BBorges

paulheu wrote:

Nokia has Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive available for Windows Phone. Because it was written from scratch and basically it is about a year since the first version was released it is not as mature as the Symbian version but it is under constant development and catching up fast. Nokia Maps technology is largely integral to Windows Phone 8.

Paul,

Maybe you are referring exclusively to unlocked sets? I suggest this because a new Lumia unit purchased thru AT&T does not seem to have ANY of the Nokia software.

I understand the Nokia Lumia unlocked has all these features, the question is basically if I would be able to install the same Nokia Freebies on my AT&T set - and simply uninstall any AT&T junk and not pay for their extra GPS subscription.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

All Nokia exclusive apps are available for download if not pre-installed. You will find them in Nokia Collection in the Microsoft store when accessed on the device.

---

Please use plain text.
Orni

Five months after change  Symbian to Windows Phone, the question i send is: IT'S POSSIBLE TO UPGRADE MY NOKIA LUMIA FROM WINDOWS PHONE TO SYMBIAN??

Poor bluetooth functionallity.

Without file browser.

Wire with PC for any operation.

"Accepted"  file types reduced to images, videos or music.

Internet access for all...

Sincerelly, a FIASCO.

Orny.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

Ummm? No.

Do you have ave any actual questions we can help with during your transition from Symbian to WP?

For instance are you on a WP8 (x20 series) or WP7.8 (x00) series.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heulaup

[ Edited ]

If all you look for is speed and smoothness when you scroll menus I suppose the 920 will fit the bill. But in terms of functions and capability it is WP8 which has to catch up with Symbian. You're going to come back to this forum and ask, "How do I do this basic thing?  I must be missing something." And the reply will be, "You're not missing anything. It is just not possible in WP8 but you can vote for this feature here". Mark my words, @BBorges.

Please use plain text.