Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Freezing issue with Lumia 800

Registered Member
vshivaram

Freezing issue with Lumia 800

Hi,

I bought a new Lumia at the Ambience Mall in Gurgoan 2 days ago and since the time I began using it, it suddenly and randomly freezes with no display and totally unresponsive. There seems to be tactile vibration on pressing the Windows or search buttons, but the phone is also unreachable. The only option is to reboot the phone and this is really irritating as I dont know when it freezes up. I have to keep switching on and checking.

I am told there is a replacement for these phones if any issues happen, even the Nokia care repair shop was unable to help. Now since I am located in Bangalore, is there any other retailer I can have this phone exchanged?

Please use plain text.
MikaU

Re: Freezing issue with Lumia 800

Hi,

I had tha same problem here in Finland. Phone just freezes and nothing happens. Windows button gives vibration still. Only thing how to reset phone is to press volume down and power button. Keep them pressed down couple of seconds. My phone was once in repari already, but came back with same problem. Now it is there again. I'll update this thread, when I'll get my phone back from Care.

This didn't solve you're problem, but just wanted to say that you're not you're own.

- Mika U -

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GavinWilliams

I have same issue.. and am getting v. frustrated with it...

Checked the SIM…  and I’m fully updated since end Dec.  on the weekend it continued to lock…

Interestingly enough the phone *feels* like it’s on.. as the handset is slightly warm… and if you tap the windows key it makes the little buzz in your hand.. however completely unresponsive to anything except a 15second poweroff.

Why did it work perfectly for a few weeks and then suddenly stop when nothing has changed?

Gavin

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Aitch

Same here.

Best regards...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
GavinWilliams

so... to any Nokia people reading this... can you respond/reply?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Arctic

Same issue.

Can you say whether this was happening before the 7740 update?

I have a suspicion this is after...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Aitch

Sorry, but I cannot answer this because I have not had the Lumia before the update.
Please use plain text.
bassed1973

similar issue my lumia switches off quite regular when i disconnect a call then it switches itself back on. very frustrating . any ideas gratefuly recieved

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue with the screen freezing. I've been reading other threads on this and some say it could be cold weather. I remember I had a Nokia 5800 and the screen would scramble when it was cold out. The only way to fix the screen to use a magnet on a certain part of the screen or heat the phone up with a blow dryer and use the unlock switch. I don't know if it's the same deal with the lumia 800. I remember  rubbing the screen with my thumbs on the screen in opposite directions and pressing the unlock button to try to unlock the screen. That worked a few times.

Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
MikaU

Hi,

My phone did it so often, that I couldn't use it. Sometimes it freezed before it started, just Nokia text on the screen. Normally after short usage about 1 - 5 minutes. So cold and warm wasn't the issue at least on my case.

Best Regards

Mika U

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

My phone just froze on me today, while I was listening to music. I reseted the phone (holding down all the buttons on the side) a few times and the phone came back on w/ no problems. One thing I wonder if I reset the phone like this again will it erase my phone content (contacts, programs, photos, video etc.) and bring the phone back to it's original specs like when I 1st purchased the phone?

Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
MikaU

Hi,

There is two ways to reset Lumia, soft and hard reset. Soft just starts phone again, if holding down power button doesn't help. Hard reset restores phone to factory settings meaning empties it totally.

You'll find instructions here:

http://www.ukmobilereview.com/manufacturers/m-nokia/reset-nokia-lumia-800/

- MIka U -

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GavinWilliams

Applied the latest upgrade this morning... 20mins later it died (black screen no vibration)... 15second power press before it booted up again.

Seriously... is anyone from Nokia reading this?

I'm at the point of just going out and getting a pay-as-you-go Android

Gavin

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Arctic

I'd like to test something if anyone is interested.

Please run your phone with Wifi, 3G and data connection both set to OFF, until you need it.

(You still get sms fine on GSM only.)

Then switch them ON, but switch them OFF when you've finished using them.

I'm curious to see whether this would make a difference.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GavinWilliams

Switched off wifi 4 days ago.. no change..

The only change is since the patch update released this morning.. now when it goes black and freezes, tapping the buttons no longer even makes the phone vibrate.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JohnSc

Im seeing the same issue. I also note that since an update, pressing the windows or search buttons no longer results in a vibrate.  Another note is that my issues are getting progessivly worse. It used to freeze maybe once every 2 or 3 days. Now its freezing every 10 to 20 minutes some days.

Has anyone else noted an increase in hang frequency after updates?

Does anyone know if this is an known issue that is being addresses in the newsest "battery" update

that is comming?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GavinWilliams

well... I'm getting same frequency of freezing...
seems to be more or less the same before/after latest patch.

It <seems> to last longer so long as the phone is plugged into mains charger.. (note: not much use as a mobile phone if you have to keep it plugged in @ home)

BTW: Seriously? does anyone in Nokia read these posts and even acknowledge there's an issue.. or is this just basically nokia customers talking to each other in isolation.
Please use plain text.
Sage
matthewleech

I recently updated to 11500 firmware and immediately encountered freeze problems which I'd had not happened previously.

However, it turned out to be because I'd entered my APN name incorrectly just before doing the update.

Aside: I've found that internet data and MMS to be mutually excluside (prior to 11500) and I had to delete the APN when I wanted to send an MMS and insert the APN again for internet data. I typed the APN name incorrectly on the last time I did the switch.

The freeze problem seemed to happen most frequently when I was switching flight-mode off. Once I correct my APN name the freezing went away completely.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GavinWilliams

That's the first piece of possible good news I've heard in a while...

Now.. the freezing you discuss.. is this following the same symptoms as described above?... (screen black and unresponsive?)... or is it that the phone freezes with screen active?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Arctic

Has anyone had a freeze on the 8106 update so far?

Please use plain text.