Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Fully-charge Lumia 900 battery barely lasting 12 h...

Advisor
BambooTree

Fully-charge Lumia 900 battery barely lasting 12 hours on a light to moderate usage.

Don't know if it just my Lumia 900 unit but my fully-charged battery won't last a day (barely 12 hours actually) on a light to moderate usage.

8:21: 100%

8:21-9:03: 90% (light use/check fb status/pics, check twitter-not more than 30 mins)

9:03-10:46: 83% (light use)

10:46-14:19: 68% (light use)

14:19-16:50: 52% (light use)

16:50-19:48: 20% and draining (5 minute call, FB, Twitter, two games, listen to mp3 for 10 minutes)

Has anyone experienced this on their new Lumia 900?

I won't be able to bring this phone on trips where I expect a smartphone to be handy.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
userlumia900

Re: Fully-charge Lumia 900 battery barely lasting 12 hours on a light to moderate usage.

Acquired the lumia 900 this week. Today was my first day of testing the battery and posted my timeline to another thread. I got about 12 hours of use before the phone shut down. Wish I knew how to deactivate the vibrate feature with use fo the navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen. Disabling the feature might help preserve battery life.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

Re: Fully-charge Lumia 900 battery barely lasting 12 hours on a light to moderate usage.

I am wondering how other Lumina 900 units are doing.  Is it just our units? Or this is how Lumia 900 rolls...JUST HALF A DAY WORTH OF JUICE on a full-charge. I love the hardware build but this is just ridiculous. Nokia Care asked me to get a replacement if it does not improve (they suggested a reset which I did last night). And I don't think I'm seeing an improvement as it was down to 96% after 30 minutes of standby. So I might get a replacement which will cost me $36 of restocking fee.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

Nokia Care's tip...the key is to find the balance between getting the most out of your phone while getting the battery life you need.  And then there's a  bunch of 'tips' like don't use the white background, etc. I mean what's the use of your smartphone if they have these 'recommendations' and you can't use/customize your smartphone they way you want to. I mean my wife's old iPhone 3GS has more juice on a full charge and she didn't have to do these batttery saving tips.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Do bear in mind that new lithium ion/polymer batteries need half a dozen of so charge cycles before achieving optimum performance levels. You should find the battery life continuing to improve  for the next while. Also remember that all brand new phones get unusually heavy for the first week or so as your tinker with it and set it up, as you would. Battery should improve once this settles down to normal use and battery reaches optimum performance. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi BambooTree,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

The tip you got on the screen actually makes sense as the Lumia 900 uses an AMOLED screen which will draw much more current when you set up the phone to have a white background all the time. While you obviously are free to use a white background you will have to take into account that doing so will require more power.

Hope this helps, if you have further question feel free to ask,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

Thanks for the replies. I will take into consideration cjlim's about letting the new lithiumion/polymer batteries needing half a dozen or so charge before achieving optimum performance and that it'll improve. I'll keep an eye.

But while I agree that first week would usually get heavy usage (setup, tinkering, etc), if you look at my original post, my battery was down to 68% after only six hours...on standby or light usage. I wasn't even browsing nor doing any setup/tinkering.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

Have you checked the diagnostic tool app? You can check your battery status, voltage and current discharging reading. To download this app on your dail tone keypad press ##634#.

Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

Thanks. Yes, I have looked at the diagnostic tool app. I'll give this until the weekend. If things don't improve, I'll get a replacement. I'm just curious though if this is specific to my Lumia 900 unit.

Anyone experiencing the opposite? Like your battery lasts you at least a day and you didn't have to charge until the following day.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TweetWP7

I have the black background and my battery blows!

I have BT on, WiFi off, Screen set to 30 sec. timeout, Medium brightness, 2 emails on push, no LTE in my area so running HSPA+ and 2 live tile apps running in the background (WeatherMaster and PlusPoints).

I was told by an AT&T rep that the Monday update was supposed to fix battery issues according to his notes…well see….

I submitted this issue to Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet and she responded to me…so maybe since she has some power in the tech world, we can get some answers from Nokia.

TweetWP7.com - All in One Windows Phone News Site from all Major Sources of WP7 News!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TweetWP7

Bump to get acknoledgment by Nokia!

TweetWP7.com - All in One Windows Phone News Site from all Major Sources of WP7 News!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
oldgreygeek

I got six hours with heavy usage: Wifi and bluetooth ON. not all that good.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

@NokiaCareUS sent me a new charger but does not seem to have helped.  Used it to charged overnight. After 21 hours, the battery was down to 15% on a moderate use. =(

Yesterday, this is how my battery performed (using the old charger):

16 Apr  21:01 > 100%

16 Apr  21:01 – 17 Apr 09:21 (@12 hours) > 79% -- strictly on standby except for the alarm @ 6AM/on Wi-Fi.
17 Apr 09:01 - 17 Apr 13:01 (@16 hours) > 64% -- strictly on standby except when disabling ringer/on LTE.
17 Apr 13:01 - 17 Apr 17:01 (@20 hours) > 52% -- strictly on standby except diag & vm list/on LTE.
17 Apr 17:01 - 17 Apr 21:01 (@24 hours) > 40% -- strictly on standby except diag & vm list/on LTE.

17 Apr 21:01 - 18 Apr 01:30 (@28.5 hours) > 28% -- strictly on standby/on Wi-Fi.

Again, the phone was just on STANDBY. :smileysad: This is really ridiculous. What if I actually used it?

Is Nokia still investigating this battery drain issue? Should we expect a fix?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

It does not help that AT&T doesn't allow the LTE to be turned off on the device and a lower data connection selected.

My unbranded 800 allows me to choose E or 3G as my highest connection level. 900 users are forced onto the battery draining LTE whether they want that connection or not.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

Yeah, I wish I could choose the connection level.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

Yeah, I get significantly better battery life by using E+WiFi. When I'm going to take a bus somewhere, then I bump up to 3G.

Also, now that I've had my Lumia for over 3 months, the batter life is MUCH better than it was originally. Firmware battery fix helped, too.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BambooTree

I hope Nokia is still looking into this battery drain issue...and maybe release a firmware update soon.  perhaps some connection level option update as well. The rate my battery drains is just ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
undisputed_n00b

My Lumia 900 has the same battery life as yours. When I first bought my Lumia 900 from AT&T, I fully charged it and my estimated time remaining was 1day 12 hours. My battery worked well and lasted me almost 2 days with very heavy usage. Then I put my phone to charge over night and now my battery barely lasts 12 hours.

Also when I first saw that I had 1day 12hrs of battery life I turned everything on to see how long the battery would last. I had location on, screen brightness high, WiFi on, and 2-3 bars of LTE, and only 1 app that usues background tasks. The battery life was excellent and lasted over a day with those settings. Then I charged it overnight and now estimated time remaining at 100% charge is 10-12 hours. I have found that both the Nokia diagnostic app and battery saver in settings are inaccurate in displaying battery life. They both said my phone had 0% battery life and my phone lasted for 30min more with heavy usage. Also my battery life then jumped to 3%. 

You are not alone with the battery problems, many people are having battery life problems with the Lumia 900.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
timbd

[ Edited ]

I'm ready to take this back.  I like the phone, but I need a battery that's going to last a day. I have to charge it twice a day.  Are there any downloads or fixes that help?

Please use plain text.
Minka

[ Edited ]

BambooTree - [[[[@NokiaCareUS sent me a new charger but does not seem to have helped.  Used it to charged overnight. After 21 hours, the battery was down to 15% on a moderate use. =(

Yesterday, this is how my battery performed (using the old charger):

16 Apr  21:01 > 100%

16 Apr  21:01 – 17 Apr 09:21 (@12 hours) > 79% -- strictly on standby except for the alarm @ 6AM/on Wi-Fi.
17 Apr 09:01 - 17 Apr 13:01 (@16 hours) > 64% -- strictly on standby except when disabling ringer/on LTE.
17 Apr 13:01 - 17 Apr 17:01 (@20 hours) > 52% -- strictly on standby except diag & vm list/on LTE.
17 Apr 17:01 - 17 Apr 21:01 (@24 hours) > 40% -- strictly on standby except diag & vm list/on LTE.

17 Apr 21:01 - 18 Apr 01:30 (@28.5 hours) > 28% -- strictly on standby/on Wi-Fi.

Again, the phone was just on STANDBY.  This is really ridiculous. What if I actually used it?

Is Nokia still investigating this battery drain issue? Should we expect a fix?]]]

Are you seriously complaining about your phone getting 28 hours of battery life??? :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.