Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: GPS issues with Lumia 710

Counsellor
johne_cheah

Unlucky, I think my phone also had the same problem, I will send it to Nokia Care too, Thnaks for your info.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
johne_cheah

Nokia Care not care for my problem, they said need to have wifi or data connection on when using Nokia Drive 2.0, otherwise I cannot connect to GPS. The technician said not the hardware problem.

Problem not solve, disappointed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rob710

[ Edited ]

So you need to have wifi or data connection active while driving in your car??

I just received my phone back after two weeks, and despite a apparent software update the problem is not fixed.

I tested all connectivity options and it has no difference in the end. Wifi on/off, offline/online in all combinations.

The moment I start using Drive, GPS is all over the place. I drove around the area for over an hour, rebooting the phone several times to see if the GPS would behave itself.

I'm going to return the phone, it's driving me nuts, and I don't have the time for stuff like this.

Very, very disappointed at Nokia for this.

I was looking at the 900 as a replacement for the 710 somewhere at the end of the year, but I'm not sure I'm returning to Nokia if this is not fixed to my content.

I love WP7, but stuff like this annoyes me to no limit...... >:-(

rob

MODERATORS NOTE:  The profanities have been removed. Offensive language is not allowed on the forums. Please do not use offensive language on the forums

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sithick

Hi,

I've the same issue with Lumia 710.

When it will be cared ny Nokia???

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on this, we are currently looking into the issue and hope to be able to give you further information as soon as we can.

Thanks for your patience,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rob710

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I tried a final time today by fully restting the phone, and just installing the Nokia Drive maps and voice.

After testing Drive, Maps and Bing Maps the only conclusion to me is that the phone never makes it beyond A-GPS.

When looking up my position in the 3 above, the phone located itself around my actual location in a circle of about 3km.

This makes sense when you think A-GPS can have an accuracy error of about 3km according to the GPS Test app.

As I couldn't get a replacement phone at the store today (they refused), I requested for a phone swap or mainboard swap at the next repair. But that will take me another 2-3 weeks before the phone returns :-\

Hopefully the swap will solve all this.

@ Kosh: Please add the above to this issue ppl are having.

And a B-5 fan I assume  ;-)

rob

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

[ Edited ]

@ johne_cheah

impossible, i know of 2 people who have already got their motherboards replaced and their GPS is now working the way it should be.

which nokia care are you going to? have you tried the headquarters?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

[ Edited ]

@ Rob710

yes the first time i sent my phone in i also got the so called "software upgrade" but it didnt do anything so i sent it back in and demanded a hardware change i even showed them a photo of the gpsinfo app showing the difference between a lumia 710 with our problem with a lumia 800 which worked fine. they have since taken the phone and are awaiting replacement parts.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

[ Edited ]

@ Kosh

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

[ Edited ]

@Rob710

there is hope my friend, i know of 2 people who have already gotten their motherboards replaced and their GPS is now working perfectly the way it should be. mine is awaiting the replacement parts and i will update here when i get it back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

@sithick

send it in to your local nokia care and demand a motherboard replacement, if you can show them a photo or video of your problem through the GPSinfo application or nokia drive/maps. this should help them to understand your problem better.

Good luck
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
johne_cheah

@chonglol

I sent my phone to here:
Nokia Care Center
L4-65 & L4-66, Digital Valley@Danga City Mall, Jalan Tun Abdul Razak, 80000 Johor Bharu, Johor.
Phone : (607) 2282211

First time I go there they help me to do "software upgrade", but it's not working. Then I sent to them again in another day. After a week I'm going to collect my phone, the technician told to me that "Without wifi or data connection, the phone cannot connect to GPS". He said his already asked the most expert KL technician about this, the technician said the same answer." So, he returned the phone to me without solve my my problem.

Dear Nokia, maybe you can send me a letter to prove that it is working, then I can show it to them. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Johne Cheah
(Malaysia)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

oh man..that shouldnt be the case, i send mine to the nokia care at Plaza Berjaya here in KL and got the useless "software upgrade" too. 2nd time they listened to me and finally decided to change the part after more "testing" as the technician said.
now im waiting to get it back as they are waiting for the part to arrive

nokia drive 2.0 is supposed to work offline as stated on nokia's website and the app description and so many other lumia users are using it offline so its impossible that it doesnt work offline.

once i get my phone back and confirm that it is working properly i will PM you the work order number, maybe you can ask the nokia staff to refer to it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
chonglol

okay everyone,

i just got my phone back from nokia care and they have changed the motherboard. right now it looks promising but i havent really tested it yet. GPSinfo showed that i got into full GPS, data from satellite. it showed my speed (while walking), and the compass came up ad accuracy was within 8 metres but it kept changing which i think is normal since i was moving. All of these were not shown previously so im happy so far.

will continue testing later when i get in the car

good luck with nokia care everyone!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
johne_cheah

You are right chonglol, it is hardware issue, my problem solved now. Thank you so much for your help.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rob710

[ Edited ]

OK,

I just got my phone back, and GPS seems to work better  a f t e r  a boardswap.

So now I have to install Nokia Maps, Drive etc. to see if it will behave. Keep you posted!

rob

p.s. I had some trouble connecting to the Marketplace and the Nokia apps, and had to reset the phone **bleep** the updates for some odd reason.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
johne_cheah

@Rob710

Hi, I had the same problem too when I get my phone.
Reset your phone, set your current time, date, system locale, then login your Windows Live account. **bleep** all of this, go to marketplace, see whether Nokia collection showing or not.
This is what I did, solved the problem.

Regards,
Johne Cheah
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rob710

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Yes, I did exactly the same thing with the reset and time/date stuff.

That solved it.

I did some tests with Nokia Drive and other GPS related stuff, and can happily report that all my GPS problems went away. A boardswap did the trick, so if people have simialr issues as in this thread, demand a boardswap at first repair.

GPS is very accurate now.

My only two gripes now are low batterylife, and the fact I have now two phones in my Windows Phone account. Trying to remove one shows all kinds of warnings about not being able to install apps anymore. Weird.... But a different diswcussion for another thread.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi Rob710.

Thanks for your post.

Since with a board swap you basically have a new phone it will register as such when you connect it to Zune which is probably what you are referring to.

Your downloaded apps and mediafiles are linked to your LiveID so removing the phones from Zune is no problem. In fact to make sure you set up the correct one I suggest removing both with your Lumia 710 not connected and then connect the Lumia to the PC to setup again and you should be fine!

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on with this!

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
johne_cheah

@Rob710

You must remove the phone correctly in your Windows Phone account, if you did wrong, I suggest you remove all of it, then reset your phone and login again. Hope will help.

Regards,
Johne Cheah
Please use plain text.