Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Get media content now

VaughanGerson

Get media content now

Received my Lumia 920 a week ago, I have been fighting with Vodacom in South Africa for 5 days now around getting MMS working. Vodacom say its Nokia who have to provide me with the MMS settings but I cannot find any solution to getting MMS working on the Vodacom network. If I try send a MMS, I get an error saying my message cannot be sent and when I receive a message it says "Get media content now", if I click on the message, the phone reports "getting media content" it plays a sound but nothing further happens, I then receive repeated notifications saying "Get media content now" about 10 or 15 times over a period of an hour, any help would be appreciated

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Re: Get media content now

Hi mate,

For final clarification it is up to Vodacom themselves. It is pure negligence on their part for not providing you with the MMS settings, as it ALWAYS has been the role of the network carrier to provide these settings already on the SIM card, though in some cases the MMS reception may not be activated, which you would have to get them to do. But actual settings are there in place. It is saying that message "get media content now" to you because it probably isn't activated, and won't download it. You need to persist with them unfortunately, as it is not Nokia's fault and responsibility to do this.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
VaughanGerson

Vodacom continue to blame Nokia and have now told me to contact Nokia support as it is their handset that does not work. Weird part is I took the same sim out of my iPhone and put it directly into the Nokia. The iPhone MMS worked 100%, same SIM in the Nokia and MMS fails. I wonder if there is not some backend OS change that has to be made to the phone to make it compatible with Vodacom's network.Great that the network provider blames the handset manufacturer, when I got the phone from the network provider in the first place. Surely Vodacom should have some sort of statement on their site when ordering the handset that indicate that these handsets have compatability problems on their network.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

[ Edited ]

Did you check the Settings>access point?  In many cases the correct settings are in the app database an will setup automatically. You might want to do a search on these forums as this has been covered many times before. If this app is missing scan the QR code below on your phone to get it.

On the vodacom site they only offer sending a settings SMS or using USSD, both are not supported by WIndows phone (you could try the SMS option though). These setting are carrier dependent and so should be provided by the carrier.

A quick look at settings for the Nokia C7 I found this and that should translate pretty well to settings for Lumia:

Connection name: Vodacom

Internet APN

Accesspoint name: internet

Proxy address: 169.006.128.012

Proxy port: 8080

Username: [blank]

Password: [blank]

MMS APN

MMS Access point name: mms.vodacom.net

Proxy address: 169.006.128.013

Proxy port: 8080

Username: [blank]

Password: [blank]

MMSC address: mmsc.vodacom4me.co.za

They should have the settings available for manual entry just like any other carrier has. If the above does not work contact them again and demand to speak to a manger as they should have these settings and it seems you ran into a clueless agent here. As this is basically Vodafone you might try and shoot their HQ a message to complain on this.

And lastly remember; Google is your best friend in these matters..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Noitalever

Hello I have had a similar problem, first make sure your phone is getting the text message through your cellular network and not over wifi, you likely are not able to recieve messages over wifi, next go to settings, cellular, and select "data connection" and on. You may also need to check "data roaming options" depending on if your carrier is in your area and limited Wi-Fi connectivity option in case your phone is defaulting to the Wi-Fi and refusing to use cellular. Make sure phone is not doing Wi-Fi calling either.

If this does not work contact your carrier's help number and see if your phone ask them to guide you in making sure your phone is properly set up to work on their network. If none of these work a factory reset might be necessary.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

MMS will always connect to the set accesspoint for it regardless if wireless is active. MMS is not available through Wi-Fi anyway.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bazzalou

Just had same issue,I turned data all works Ok hows
Please use plain text.