Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Glance screen stopped working

Contributor
larry63
Accepted Solution

Glance screen stopped working

The glance screen feature has suddenly stopped working on my Lumia 920. After the Amber update the glance screen feature worked perfectly, until a few days ago when it suddenly no longer show any information on the lock screen. The settings option is still there and I can change the settings (always on, peek, night mode etc.), but regardless of setting no information is presented on the lock screen.

Restarting or resetting (soft reset) the device does not help.

I also have some problems with live tile updates. E.g. the Battery Pro+ app doesn't update its live tile anymore.

Anyone with similar problems?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Glance screen stopped working

Try updating the Display+touch system application. You may do it by scanning the QR Code in HERE. Then check again ..

As for the Battery+ Pro, you may first try unpinning and repinning ..else uninstall and re-install to see if it gets going ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
larry63

Thanks for the tip, but I don't really ge it. How can I update an app that is already installed? Sure, scanning the QR takes me to the app in the Store, but you never get an update option unless there is a newer version of the app, and I already have the latest version, so...
B.t.w., how is the Display+touch sys app related to the Glance feature? Wouldn't updating the Glance sys app be a better option?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

So it seems you have the latest version of the Display + touch and you are correct in saying that it won't give you an option to update further. After the latest update in this system application, Glance is apearing separately in the list ( which was not the case earlier). But there isn't any more update for the 'Glance' AFAIK .. 

Other thing you may check is that the option 'Clock and notifications' is not set to OFF

Please use plain text.
Contributor
larry63

Interesting - I don't have a 'Clock and notifications' option in my Glance settings menu!! Only options I have are 'Glance' and 'Night mode'.
If 'Clock and notifications' is set to OFF, what information would then appear on the Glance screen?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ugura

larry63 wrote:
Interesting - I don't have a 'Clock and notifications' option in my Glance settings menu!! Only options I have are 'Glance' and 'Night mode'.
If 'Clock and notifications' is set to OFF, what information would then appear on the Glance screen?

i dont have that option on my L920 either, interesting...

The silence will fall
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

The option is available on the L1020 and farby might have gotten confused.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Nope ! Its on my Nokia Lumia 920

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

It's not available on my L920 with all the latest updates applied, so I guess it's a version-specific option then.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
larry63

The screenshot of the app in the Store (you can get to it by scanning the Glance QR in the link that farby provided above) shows the same settings menu that I have, i.e. without the 'Clock and notifications' option. It is reported as v2.0.1.4.
I can see how setting the 'Clock and notifications' option to OFF would result in the beaviour I'm experiencing, but with no way to correct it if the this settings option is "disabled".
Farby, what's yor version of the app. Do you get an update option for it in the Store?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
larry63

Problem solved!

Today I noticed that the proximity sensor on my L920 was clogged up by dust again (screen goes blank when making/accepting calls, not able to end call, etc.). A few strokes with the vacuum cleaner over the earpiece took care of that, and voila - the glance screen works again. Didn't even have to restart the phone.

I guess there is a dependency since glance screen can be activated by a hand gesture (detected by the proximity sensor).

Lessons learned: disabled proximity sensor (e.g. dust) = disabled glance screen.

Please use plain text.