Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Gorilla Glass is worthless

Registered Member
nkymom

Gorilla Glass is worthless

My Lumia 920 is a month old.  It fell out of my coat pocket just 2 feet off the ground and shattered the glass.  I had a Samsung Captivate with Gorilla Glass for two years.  It probably fell to the ground 30 times and never even scratched.  I saw the videos online of the guy running over the 920 with his car, batting it with a 2x4, dropping it multiple times from various heights, and even bashing it with a hammer.  I think mine was defective.  AT&T and Nokia say - too bad so sad. Got quotes of $130 - $300 to repair. I will try the $130 first.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Faragondk

Re: Gorilla Glass is worthless

Those videos are not made by Nokia, and I don't think you will find any statement that the phone will endure a 2 feet fall in any of Nokias advertising material.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LadyX3

I agree, any glass will break when dropped at certain angles, and at no time has Nokia ever said the screen is unbreakable, gosh if my phone had fallen out of my pocket as many times as  yours has, I would definately have  invested in a pouch with a  belt clip.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hbjor

I shattered the glass on my 920 for the SECOND time over the weekend. After shatter #1, I put it in a leather "wallet" calse with a magnetic closure figuring it would be protected. It was knocked off of a table, about 3 feet high, hit the floor on the corner, the case bounced open and the phone came out of the case and hit the floor. I'm debating whether to have it fixed a 2nd time or just use it cracked for tne next year. It's very disappointing, especially since the glass isn't separate. It's an expensive fix.

Does anybody know of a case that will actually protect the glass? Most of the cases I've seen for this phone go up to the glass but still leave the raised sides exposed. I think it might be just a little too big for my hand which is why I'm finding it so drop-prone. I never once dropped my Samsung Focus in 2 years.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alccar2003

I had my Nokia 928 less than a month after switching from a HTC phone, and it slipped from my hand and hit the ground on the bottom right hand corner. The screen immediately cracked halfway up the display and a piece of the screen was lost. I was understandably dismayed that the "unbreakable" gorilla glass had shattered so easily after my HTC withstood 10 times more impact than that during the 2 years that I used it. The screen still worked, so I continued to use it while I decided whether or not it was worth paying $100 in addition to the monthly insuance fee to replace it. I literally sat it down on my desk at work, and the screen cracked all the way up. I might mention that the actual casing of the phone never sustained a scratch, crack, or damage of any kind. Only the gorllia glass. What does that tell you?? 

I am sure that I will NEVER buy a Nokia again, and I will not replace my Nokia, but instead go back to my HTC that worked flawlessly for two years. Never again. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Gorrila glass is not unbreakable, no one makes any claims like that. Frankly you are the one dropping your phone so how is that Nokas fault?

It's glass which means if you apply enough pressure it _will_ crack. You were careless and damaged your phone, get it fixed and over it..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ken9202012

Its 'unscratchable', not unbreakable.  And even then, Gorilla Glass is prone to traumatic deep scratches.

The point of Gorilla Glass is that you won't get the normal 'wear and tear' scratches on the surface.  Remember any of your old cellphones from the last decade?  Even if you were careful, had them in cases, etc... you'd still end up with a screen full of really light scratches, just from using the phone normally (unless you had a screen protector).  

That's what Gorilla Glass is good for... no one ever claimed GG was indestructible.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

There are no claims it is unscratchable either. Gorrila glass is more scratch resistant than 'normal' glass and that is all there is to it.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Sage
songoku777

some FAQs that may help folks better understand CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

In terms of impact resistance Gorilla Glass is stronger than normal glass of the SAME thickness but manufacturers use thinner GG so it is no better than normal glass. So all GG does is allow manufacturers to use thinner glass.

As for scratch resistance, probably worthless in my experience. It can still be scratched by sand grains.

Please use plain text.