Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone use...

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, 

Please visit Conversations by Nokia and read this page. You'll be pleasantly surprised I am sure.

The current Lumia range of smartphones will continue to be supported by Nokia with a new updated user interface, new features, apps and upgrades.

Amongst other things;

• A new Start screen look and feel, familiar from Windows Phone 8, giving you a whole new look the moment you unlock your phone
  • Ringtone maker app to selected markets to create a personal ringtone
  • Contact share app updated to support sharing over Bluetooth in addition to SMS and email
  • Bluetooth file transfer to send media files via Bluetooth from your Lumia device to any other phone 

The rollout of these updates for the Lumia 610, Lumia 710, Lumia 800 and Lumia 900 smartphones will be phased, and we will share more details closer to the start of delivery.

At this time there is no information on availability of this update although Microsoft has stated during the announcement of the Windows Phone 7.8 update that this will be some time after the release of Windows Phone 8.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Important news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

[ Edited ]

That's good news and will hopefully fix some of my issues with my Lumia 610.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: Important news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

Great news, will hopefully pacify some of the negative issues Symbian users have had and great that Nokia continue its usual device support levels with yet another major update fro Windows Phone and the Lumia range :thumbsup:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

Super stuff! welcome news.:-) :-)

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
shay1

Nice one nokia, Bluetooth file transfer was one of my main problems with the phone, keep the features coming Nokia well done. I am much happier that I stayed with Nokia now.
Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

That's great to hear! :smileyvery-happy:
Now waiting for the update as long as it's not too long. :smileyhappy:
At least, I can keep up with my Lumia 710 for at least a year.
If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chanchukwan

The file system of Windows Phone is somewhat sandbox, and WP doesn't c/w user-accessible file manager, would it mean that the file transfer via bluetooth would be limited to certain file types only?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

@chanchukwan

The announcement refers to mediafiles.

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lumia1963

HI Kosh,

technical question for when this upgrade arrives:

Lumia 800, I never did a hard reset after installing the last update (the one that brought internet sharing). I read in some threads about the update not being fully installed until you hard reset the phone. My phone works fine as it is and I'd rather not reset it, but will this cause a problem when I come to install this new update? Should I reset the phone before updating?

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

While there would normally not be a need to reset your Lumia before or after a major update and it is not required unless it were to be specifically indicated (which it has not). That said doing a reset on a major update would be a personal choice to in a way 'start fresh'.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mathe226

Fine!

Could we also have the Nokia Maps / Drive capable of what the Symbian version did several years ago, including offline pedestrian navigation, then my lost loyalty to Nokia would be fully regained.

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

I don't want to pour cold water on this "great news" but Symbian phones had contact sharing and file transfer via bluetooth for years and a ringtone maker app isn't necessary because any MP3 file can be used as a ringtone. I'm glad WP7.5 is finally catching up but the pace has to be faster than this for WP to make any significant dent in market share.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roshanzune

[ Edited ]

Nothing new here.. All this was expected as in WP7.8 upgrade.

*note; speculative remark removed

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lumu_lumo

Good as a compliment..I am still waiting for my Lumia 800 replacement.

Hope that poor RAM management will be fixed also.

With this news I can wait for 2nd geneation WP8 or Lumia 920 market price drop.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ejovi

I like the Bluetooth file transfer, this saves data usage instead of using multimedia text.
Nokia phones (Owned 1999-Now):
5110, 3390, 3520, 6230, 6682, N72, 5800 XM , Lumia 800, Lumia 900 (Currently owned)
Please use plain text.
Professor
JackMerson

[ Edited ]

@roshanzune
It wasn't that bad. At least, Nokia will still supports the Lumia range phones. Having some features enabled doesn't sounds bad at all. And the new Cinemagraph is also cool.

Moderators notes: Incorrect statement removed.

If I have helped you in any way, give me a kudos! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

Hopefully that one fixes the headset remote controls when the screen is locked, and audio volume going to zero randomly.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jakobeymart

Yeah, let's hope Nokia Drive gets upgraded too.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cintwo

it's great to hear about the upgrade coming for the Lumia 710, my doubt is how can the bluetooth work to transfer, like for all the others phones with bluetooth, any files IF there isn't any file manager, I might wat to send txt, doc, jpeg, gif, pdf, mp3, mp4......etc etc Will it be a restricted half working bluetooth or fully functional like all the bluetooth. The skydrive is pathetic, only works if a connection, and a fast one, is available, maybe just to share a file with someone seated in front of you, it takes ages and pushes you to upload personal files on to a server that can be monitored or hacked.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Coolknight68

Yes, this is good news, but I there is so much more good stuff that can be added that I hope you will read all my posts, there aren't that many. I hope the WiFi issues will be resolved and also that contacts share will be integrated into the address book, instead of an app. Also, I should be able to add contact addresses to Nokia drive while under contacts. File sharing over Bluetooth is nice... I never needed it but many people need it.

Please use plain text.