Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone...

deveshpd

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

S/w update's not gonna help much, except for giving some cosmatic relief when it comes to the poor quality of camera and dud apps which cannot even provide the basic features that the previous Nokia versions had. I am so so dissappointed with the Nokia 610 product. Have been an ardent Nokia fan..had been using 5530 xpressmusic. I was an awesome phone barring the "irreparable" hardware issue of the phone switching off instantly on receiving any call that finally forced me to dump it a week ago. I miss my 5530 and its OS that allowed me to download a variety of free and useful apps. This Nokia Window version is such a letdown.

The camera quality is worse even than that of 5530 (3.2 mp), of which i had got several snaps framed. The quality  surprised even pro-photographers. If Nokia does not fix 610 issues in near future, I am going to dump this phone soon and never again...never.

Please use plain text.
Rumcajs997

[ Edited ]

Hi

I`m new here and I`m not sure that this the right place to ask my questions but I`ll try :smileyhappy: BTW Sorry for my english, I`m not native so forgive me some language mistakes.

I bought my Lumia 900 just few days ago. Generally this is a great phone and WP OS is nice too but I`ve noticed few very annoying issues:

1) The problem with gallery sharpness, that is described here - http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-900/190482-weird-gallery-quirk-could-blame-nokia-camera-prob... - my post is the last one. Generally it is not only Camera pictures problem but with every picture that is in high resolution.

2) Is there a chance to get "Open in background" option in IE ? This new IE is very nice, but without "Open in background" is completly useless for me... 9 favorites pages on start page like in Opera would be nice too :smileywink: And the problem is that there is no other usefull browser on the market...

3) Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time. And where are some simple picture details ? A cannot even check the resolution!

There are few other issues but these three are the most annoying for me. I was hoping that Windows Phone 7.8 will solve some of them but nothing have changed...

Is there some Nokia representatives that could tell me that these three problems could be solved soon or maeby there is no chance for it ? These issues are completly unacceptable for me and if there is no chance to get some solution soon, I will have to go back to my old Samsung Wave 3 phone...

Thank for the answer.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
martins122

my phone still dont find update, and zune too shows that my phone is up to date, also yesterday microsoft anaunced that new update is awilable, is it in UK, and is there any other way how to get it????

Please use plain text.
scpool1986

Everyone I know has been able to download the update but it's like my phone is rejecting it. It says the current version is up to date in Zune when I check for an update but when I look at the current version listed here it isn't up to date. Is anyone else having this problem and if so how did you get by it. I have gone as far as doing a full factory reset and trying to update after doing that as well as uninstalling Zune and then trying again with a fresh phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
skaterbuoy

Phone says your firmware is up todate, although you don't have 7.8?

Google "wpcentral cable trick"

Please use plain text.
Advisor
galley8181

hi their every one windows update 7.8 is out in the uk and it shows it on nokia support update that its out but dozent update on my wp7 please help me through zune update
petergalley
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sleepywhispers

Its upto your carrier to release it, they have to do checks on it and then release it. I'm in the UK and my phone hasn't updated yet either but am patiently waiting on it, so calm down relax and put the kettle on ;-)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
darkdevil

Wp7.8 the worst update in os history.what it improved?????? Nokia fooled its loyal users.this tym wp7 user suffered ,nxt wp8 users.microsoft will again launch wp9 devices without any upgrade to wp8.its so embracing....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
negaboys_710

Official Windows Phone 7.8 update on Nokia lumia 710

You can check the features and detailed preview of lumia 710 here,

http://www.negablog.com/2013/01/official-windows-phone-78-update-on.html

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bk61

OMG! I live in the UK, I have a Nokia Lumia 610 and I've just FORCED the update using the cable trick!!! I didn't have much confidence in it working but I'm a bit tired of checking EVERY DAY, so I thought I might as well give it a try. It worked, so here's what I did;

First I connected my phone, launched ZUNE and checked for updates - "your phone is up to date" (always do this first)

Secondly, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, switch your phone to airplane mode. I tried it first by just switching off Wi-Fi and Data but it didn't work. In airplane mode it DID!

Now, make sure you have easy and fast access to your computers ethernet cable or if you are connected by wi-fi that you are able to switch it off quickly. (every second counts, as you will see)

In order to check for updates again you must first select another item on the menu in the zune software just to reactivate the ability to click for updates. Trivial point but worth mentioning.

Click update again and count to 5, them immediately pull the Ethernet/Switch off Wi-fi and wait for the message. If you are really lucky you'll get the message "Update available", if not, like me, you will get either, "unable to check for updates...", or, "your phone is up to date". If you get the first message you pulled the cable/switched Wi-Fi off too soon. If you get the second message you were too late. A lot will depend on how fast you count and indeed how fast your computer is. I counted to 5 and it was too soon. I then counted to 10 and it was too late, so I gradually reduced the count, 9, 8, 7, SIX!!!!! It worked for me at 6, I got the message "Update Available". Now install the update.

OK, thats not it, you've updated your phone but not to WP7.8... not yet! The first update is support for Phones without a camera button, this doesn't apply to any Nokia Lumia's but its all part of the update process. After the update completes it will check for more updates. I got a message saying "No updates available", but I knew there was, so its back to the start... doing the ethernet/wi-fi thing again. I remembered my count to 6, so I did that again and on my very first attempt I got "Update Available". Some people might need a couple or so tries, maybe I got lucky, but if you've done it once you'll do it again. Click "install the update" and this second update IS WP7.8.

We still haven't finished! There's a third update to come and this update is VITAL. It's a Nokia firmware update.  I was lucky cos the Nokia update was automatically found during the check for updates after WP7.8 had been installed, but afterwards I updated my daughter's phone in the same way but she wasn't offered the Nokia update. Her phone is a different model to mine so I assumed it wasn't offered because it wasn't needed. WRONG!

We started playing and setting up our new WP7.8 devices and while mine was perfect, my daughter had problems. First she noticed excessive screen lag and then sound issues. I put her phone back on the computer, launched Zune and did the cable trick again. This time she was offered the Nokia update and her phone is also now perfect.

Updating to WP7.8 isn't enough, you NEED the Nokia update too. This update is specific to your model and is required to allow your phone to work correctly with WP7.8. Without it you'll have problems.

Finally, you can check your phone is fully up to date by checking for updates again in Zune. The software version should be 7.10 (8858)

It will take a while, mine took about 30 mins, my daughter's took an hour. It depends on how much stuff you have on it cos it will need to back up the entire phone to your computer first. Also, make sure your computer has a few gig of spare space and that there is space on your phone for the update. If not, make space... the update is worth it. Good Luck.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

[ Edited ]

I've been trying this for 5 minutes with no joy.

The problem is, once you've tried to Update a few times, Zune gets quicker at talking to the server and returns the "Up to date" message quicker.

Important: What network are you on?

from symbiantweet.com

What if this method just doesn’t work?

• If you don’t get the update, that means your software update is literally not on Microsoft’s servers for your phone/carrier. Try again in a few days.

Edit:

Symbiantweet said 1 to 2 seconds, so I tried that and well.. I'm updating :-) 

Cheers man.

1991...........................................................................................................................................................2013
1610 • 5110 • 3210 • 8210 • 8310 • 7210 • 6230 • 6630 • N80 • N70 • N73 • N958GB • N900 • Lumia 800 • Lumia 820
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bk61

Great to know you succeeded. It takes a bit of patience plus trial and error but if you persevere you'll get there. I'm not sure if it matters what network you are on, I got the impression from reading other websites that the reason this trick works is that you disconnect before the server can identify your network and therefore offers the update because no network restriction was found. A bit like unlocked/sim free. For the record, im on BT which uses the Vodafone network.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

Just on the final 8858 update now.

:thumbsup:

I couldn't switch off my wireless in less than 2 seconds so I pulled the phone line out of the router.

Then it fell down the back of the cabinet, but that's another story.

:whistling:

1991...........................................................................................................................................................2013
1610 • 5110 • 3210 • 8210 • 8310 • 7210 • 6230 • 6630 • N80 • N70 • N73 • N958GB • N900 • Lumia 800 • Lumia 820
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sleepywhispers

I'm on Vodafone still no update I tried the cable trick and nothing got peeved off trying to get it so I'll just wait for it
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

Know what you mean, I was skeptical at first - but 1-2 seconds worked for me.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sleepywhispers

What network are you with,maybe I'm just impatient do I count 6 seconds and disconnect or 2 seconds by the time I click the update button scroll down to the WiFi connection to disconnect it the message comes up and says im already upto date
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Drof87

[ Edited ]

O2.

6 seconds was too long for me as per bk61's first post. But under 2 did the job. Less than 2. It's trial and error but it depends how you're disconnecting. Using software takes too long I found. If you can pull the RJ11 telephone plug out the router, it's better.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sleepywhispers

I don't think Vodafone have released the update yet so no point in trying the cable trick
Please use plain text.
Advisor
galley8181

ive tryed everything and still no joy at all my lumia 710 is factory unlocked but running on 3 network my model is RM-803|NOKIA Lumia 710 i sopose i have to wait for it to reach my phone when the update comes to it then up date it
petergalley
Please use plain text.
Advisor
galley8181

ive also checked the release codes in all counrtys and it even says its already leased for 3 networks but not mine or eny other
petergalley
Please use plain text.