Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone...

Advisor
jomarchan

Re: Great news for all current Lumia Windows Phone users!

I mean I know it is only a small update and is not windows 8 but those of us who put their trust and faith in Nokia right at the outset of windows seem to have been forgotten. I, along with many others had major issues with our lumias at the start but still kept loyal to them. Now it would seem that we are the last to get a small update...if we get it at all. Iphone 5 is looming for me....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

I just love how some people seem to think threatening to go with iPhone will make em get the update any faster.. IF you can't wait google for alternative ways to get the update.. otherwise there is _nothing_ anyone here can do to get you the update any faster. Even Nokia is basically bound by the update process going through MSFT/Zune..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Sage
SvenJ

Even Nokia is basically bound by the update process going through MSFT/Zune..

And the associated carrier gate-keeping.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jomarchan

Why do you love People threatening to go with iphone? I presume you are being sarcastic. Very clever. My post was not sarcastic or threatening. It was stating a fact. At no point in the post did I say I can't wait. I am not one of those people who play with their phone every minute of every day.  I am just annoyed that us original loyal Lumia 800 purchasers are seemingly the last to receive it even though as I clearly stated, it is only a small update. 

As for threatening as you put it, to go with Iphone, after the initial problems with my phone, a problem shared by the way with many,many other users, I bought Two Iphones and contracts for my wife and Daughter. I could not trust Nokia lumia not to have these same issues. I have still got a few issues with my 800 but I can live with it whilst I finish my contract. So my sarcastic Internet warrior, I am not threatening.  When my phone crashed as soon as I bought it and then after receiving no support from Nokia despite it being their issue, I stated then that I would go with apple as I need a reliable phone for business.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nelsonnair

Is the wp7.8 update based on the location saved on the phone? I'm asking this coz i stay away from home and February has already passed and i haven't received an update notification. Is it also possible that i may have missed the update notification? If so, will i get the notification again? Someone pls answer asap....the wait is getting really frustrating
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
jekiboi20

Hi nelsonnair,

Software update availability depends on the phone's variant, country, and operator. If you haven't received the update you could ask your operator if they have already approved it as some operators are blocking the updates. If you have an update notification, as long as you didn't disregard the update, the notification should still be there.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nelsonnair

I did ask my operator. They apparently have no news about any update.

Thank u jekiboi20
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nelsonnair

And i didn't get a notification yet. My question about updates based on the phone's location is yet unanswered
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The operator not knowing about the update is bad news because it means they haven't even started looking at it yet. You will not get the update until Microsoft has the operators approval.

It is the phones variant more so then the location you set that dictates when the updates are available. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bombay_Bad_Boy

[ Edited ]

This is really dissappointing actually.. It's more than eight months since MS announced this 7.8 version and it is more than a month since the product is actually released to the market.. 

And still not one,  Not one from Orange, Microsoft or definitely one from Nokia can answer a simple question When the update would be rolled out to those who purchased Lumia 800 in the UK.. It can be any date, one month from today, three months or one year. I think they should pick a date and stick to it..

I think customers, if Nokia still treats them as such, are entitled to know a timeline, if it can't state, then I think it is fair that no flamboyant announcements are made...

Moderator's note: We have edited your post. There is a part of your message that we removed as it violates the Nokia Support Discussions Guidelines.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mathe226

How can a huge well-reputed company like Nokia voluntarily make their core processes and functions so dependent of another company, in which they have no control?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Because Nokia only make the phone anymore. The OS is a Microsoft OS. Same as when you purchase a pc and it comes with Windows 8. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Don't feed the xxxlls.. it's not worth it really..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
2grimus6

I think the 7.8 upgrade has been withdrawn because of problems with live tiles.

See todays www.gsmarena.com blog post.

No update in the UK for an unlocked 710 a month after its release was announced.

Who would know for sure though as Microsoft / Nokia like to keep us in the dark. By the number of people who have not been able to update a withdrawl of 7.8 seems the most likely reason. 

Not such great news after all.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
psigley

Nokia actually deserve to go out of business if just on the basis of their terrible customer service and dim wit support in relation to use (that is non-use) of their windows phones in cars. Just so many unhappy people out there who backed Nokia. I have used Nokia for 14 years but this pile of c**p masquerading as Lumia 920 will not work in any of my cars except the oldest with a Parrot system. So the Opel and VW Phaeton built in bluetooth systems are redundant and Nokia cannot be bothered to issue the software update. Spoke to Elop's office in Finland who farmed out the issue to Anovo in Thetford who know nothing.

What a sad end to a former giant - their demise needs to come sooner rather than later.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n0k1afan

It's crazy how the update is taking so long!

Boy do I miss the simple functionality of the old skool nokias. Who remember the 5110???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_eQaZsypEE

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nelsonnair

What's new on Bluetooth sharing v2.0.2.2?? Can't see any difference between the earlier version and the update. What does nokia want to prove by taking such a big leap from v1.x to version 2.x and offering nothing new?
Please use plain text.
Sage
Briant566

I to have been with Nokia years but I have to agree with They got in to bed with the wrong partner and now there is now way out
Nokia 701 Helping with Lumia 800
Please use plain text.
Xoan17

These lumia updates are so basic. Symbian 60 had it all. I seriously don't know why Belle upgradation was stopped. If Belle was made available for mid range phones, it'd have been a major hit.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bk61

for those desperate for the 7.8 update, do the cable trick as described and instructed earlier in this thread. It works for me everytime. I've now installed the updates (theres 3) on over a dozen different phones on several different networks, even eastern european networks. The cable trick over rides network restrictions... thats why it WORKS.

Please use plain text.