Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Group SMS going as MMS to my friends from lumi...

Contributor
aashishj
Accepted Solution

Group SMS going as MMS to my friends from lumia 800

Hi Friends ,

My friends complain me saying they are recieving an MMS instead of SMS which I sent from my Lumia800 .... and this majorly happens when i send a Group SMS....

Is anyone else facing the same issue or does anyone have a solution for this ???

Please help.....

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Re: Group SMS going as MMS to my friends from lumia 800

Hi aashishj,

Thank you for your post.

Please have a look at the link below for your anwser on this query:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/people/send-a-text-message.aspx

Taken directly from the above link (Microsofts Windows phone support page)

"Group text (in Messaging Settings) helps keep replies in one thread while you're texting with a group of people. When it's turned on, replies are sent as MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) messages instead of SMS (Short Message Service) text messages. To find this setting, in Messaging, press More More icon >Settings. This setting can vary by mobile operator and might not appear. Your mobile operator might charge extra for MMS messaging and this service must be available with your current phone plan."

Hope this helps.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Sage
ArminG

Windows Phone has an option to use MMS as opposed to SMS, when sending a SMS to multiple persons.

This has certain benefits like increased size and better character support, and in the USA in most operator plans a text-only MMS is even billed in the same way as a SMS. This is due to the USA not talking about SMS or MMS, but 'text' and 'sending a text'.

Of course outside the USA this is different and most people likely do not want to send an MMS.

Hence in most USA models this option is default on, and most non-USA models it is off. In open market / unbranded models however it can vary.

Anyway, to disable this feature:

Settings -> swipe to Applications -> messaging -> Group Text = Off

And no more MMS.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ndege

I have the same problem as aashishj on my Lumia 800 but i"ve turned off the group text button and it's still happening! What's more bizarre is a very short test SMS saying "hi" worked to three numbers but a longer message didn't. I used my own number as a recipient and i got the message but my wife got it as an MMS. Help!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shamik1

Hi,

I am from India.I was facing this same issue.I was not able to send group sms.I was getting frustrated.AFter going through this discussion I change the GROUP TEXT as off and now I can send group sms

aashishj wrote:

Hi Friends ,

My friends complain me saying they are recieving an MMS instead of SMS which I sent from my Lumia800 .... and this majorly happens when i send a Group SMS....

Is anyone else facing the same issue or does anyone have a solution for this ???

Please help.....

Please use plain text.
akki09788

I am facing the same problem, Please send updates to solve  this issue..... plzzzz do smthing  i m not abl to send msgs.......  :crying: Nokia Doooo something :crying: 

Please use plain text.
brownsuga224

Hi I’m having a similar problem. I’ve also send out Group messages’. But I’ve been told that they can only have 120 characters on Nokia Lumia 800. Unlike the N8, I don’t have a character counter. As I have gone over 120 characters. My messages have been charged as a MMSG, instead. Not sure if I can download an app, can anyone help or advise me?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ksurge

Lost 390 rs by this group message 😞was unaware till now.. Thank you all
Please use plain text.