Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

HELP!!! Connecting nokia lumia 620 to windows xp c...

Ersay

HELP!!! Connecting nokia lumia 620 to windows xp computer using a usb cord; Keeping track of downloaded and downloading items

i recently bought a nokia lumia 620 and tried to download applications on it, i couldnt keep track of the file being downloaded( e.g 20% downloaded). I also noticed that whenever i switched applications, the app being downloaded seemed to pause, i couldnt prove it cos there is no downloads tracker. Secondly, i cant transfer files from my pc to my phone, whenever i connect it i see a camera icon labelled "LUMIA" in my windows explorer/computer. My pc is windows xp. There is no file manager so i cant view files on my sd card and whenever i get documents or files via bluetooth, they dissapear to God knows where(e.g i sent a picture to my phone and still cant find it). Finally, i dont know how to customize my start screen image, like, i can rearrange the tiles but i cant put a picture of flowers, family, etc. Pls, help!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: HELP!!! Connecting nokia lumia 620 to windows xp computer using a usb cord; Keeping track of downloaded and downloading items

1. The download should continue even if you switch to another application.

2. When you connect your phone to your XP pc, you should get a pop up window. You need to unlock your phone to see contents. Only selected contents such as music, photos, videos and documents are visible.

3. Documents and other files transfered by bluetooth go to the application they are associated with. If it is a photo then goto the Photos>album to view.

4. Photos addde to Favourites will appear in your Photos tile.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

Re: HELP!!! Connecting nokia lumia 620 to windows xp computer using a usb cord; Keeping track of downloaded and downloading items

You need to have Windows XP SP3 with at least Microsoft Media Player 10 installed for MTP to work. Search the forum and the net for the many, many instances where this is explained.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Ersay

Thanks for replying. i hv implemented all your suggestions but after connecting my phone to my pc, a found new hardware wizard popped up and i clicked on cancel. i still couldnt find my phone files on my pc, i just saw a camera icon labelled lumia and the files contained in the icon could not be accessed by my laptop, they were all blank. I also dont know how to find how much of an app has been downloaded and how much is left. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

If you see the camera icon and not the phone you are either not running SP Sp3 or have Windows Media Player 10 installed.

You could try removing the currently loaded drivers by going to the device manager with the phone attached and find the phone. Then right click and select to remove. Now unplug the phone and insert into another USB port.

As a side note I'd strongly recommend upditing to Windows 7 at least. XP is getting very close to the end of  it's supported life and in all honesty the implementation of MTP is shaky at best..

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

Ersay wrote:

Thanks for replying. i hv implemented all your suggestions but after connecting my phone to my pc, a found new hardware wizard popped up and i clicked on cancel. i still couldnt find my phone files on my pc, i just saw a camera icon labelled lumia and the files contained in the icon could not be accessed by my laptop, they were all blank. I also dont know how to find how much of an app has been downloaded and how much is left. Thanks!

Why did you click cancel? You want the USB drivers to see the folders on the phone instead of the camera .

Try again, don't cancel. Turn the phone off and connect it to the PC. It will turn on and hopefully load the correct drivers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zuhair87

I have searched the entire Web to find the solution and found the same answers everywhere!! Microsoft, Nokia, etc..

Finally the solution is:

This is what you need to do.

First Uninstall both the Yellow icons for "RM-846 Lumia 620"

Then manually download and install the Windows Phone driver:

Go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com. (use IE 6.0 or Higher)
Search for "windows phone winusb". You should find "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device".
Tap or click Add in the right-most column.
ap or click View basket (just below the search box).
On the "Updates in your basket" screen, tap or click the Download button. Tap or click the Browse button and select a convenient location, such as your Desktop or the Downloads folder, to save the file. Tap or clickContinue, and then tap or click Close when downloaded.
Browse to the file you downloaded (which may be contained in a folder called "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device") and then double tap or double click it.
Double tap or double click the file winusbcompat.cat. Select a location (such as the Desktop) to extract the file.
Repeat the steps under Update your Windows Phone 8 driver above, but when you reach Step K, browse to the file you just saved instead of the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder.

And after its all done remember to uninstall any other device trying to use your phone. For example my lumia was getting recognized as a camera even after all the updating so I had to uninstall the Camera#Lumia620 icon in the Device manager.

Once you have done all that I bet your Phone will be recognized as a Windows phone. If you have Windows media player 11 or higher you can start syncing your music and can use Nokia music application too.

Cheers!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

[ Edited ]

Don't know if this works on XP or not . could be bad info.

The driver that is identified in the catalog when you  search does not say it supports XP, it is for Vista and above.

You get an XP driver when you search for '  Microsoft - Other hardware - Windows Phone USB '

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zuhair87

It works perfectly fine! So many people posted so many solutions this one works perfect. Don't know if the driver is meant for XP or not I got that info from microsoft support itself and it did show succesfully installed the driver.(So even its not meant for XP it can be used as a dummy driver) I have attached a screen shot whenever I connect my Lumia 620 on XP it recognizes it as Portable device and also as a winusb device just like it does on Vista. So don't know what your issue is?. When I searched for best solution I found no help. When I found the solution that works people call it bad info?? 

P.S Did the same for my colleague and works on his system too. So the solution might not be accurate technically but works 100% better solution than "Try restarting your PC...Switch to Vista or W7 or W8.. Try Updating to SP3 Edition and if its already SP3 God Help u etc etc!!"

Cheers!! :thumbup:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zuhair87

Dont forget to Uninstall the camera driver that uses lumia 620 don't know why people forget to mention that. You can update the drivers million times but still it will show the camera icon till you uninstall them first!! And yes you can click Cancel if you already have the driver installed.
Please use plain text.
Ersay

i didnt see the two yellow icons mentioned so i didnt uninstall them. Can u pls tel me how to find them? Also, when installing the new applications, i don't understand what you said, step k in what outline? thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zuhair87

Yellow icons in device manager you get if your Phone is not correctly recognized. If you don't get that well and good. Sorry about that forgot to copy the above section. What you need to do is when " New Hardware Found" select the option to install driver from your computer click browse and select the folder where you downloaded the driver files
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zuhair87

You can go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749484 for more details
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Zuhair87

[ Edited ]

Have you uninstalled the camera driver in device manager? In device manager find the Camera Icon with label Lumia#620 and right click that and click uninstall. after that if you have Windows media player11 and Windows XP SP3 Edition and the updated drivers then your phone should be recognized as a MTP device or a Portable Device in device manager!

Please use plain text.
kali61

remove SD card from Lumia
connect mobile to PC
and Lumia will be visible on comp. ( XP, vista, w7,w8)
Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

garym11 wrote:

Don't know if this works on XP or not . could be bad info.

The driver that is identified in the catalog when you  search does not say it supports XP, it is for Vista and above.

You get an XP driver when you search for '  Microsoft - Other hardware - Windows Phone USB '

From another user tring to get the driver to work:  He says the driver that comes up when you search as directed:

Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device

will work for XP.

Please use plain text.
ArtoB

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!

I tried everything to get this to work.  Already found the drivers (which do not indicate XP compatibility, but are fine), and tried deleting and re-installing the device drivers, but it never worked.  The missing piece of the puzzle was the deleting the camera driver for the phone.  Once I did that, ald rivers were re-installed , and it now works perfectly.  BTW, I'm using a Lumia 520.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rpradeepp

thanks a lot my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im able to connect now,,,,,,,,,,

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
qbaer

Please use plain text.