Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

HOWTO: Connect laptop to internet using Lumia

Contributor
pkoponen

HOWTO: Connect laptop to internet using Lumia

[ Edited ]

I've spent 8 hours trying to solve this. It used to be really easy with PC-Suite and now it's unbelievably hard. 

I use my phone to connect my laptop to the internet and now I can't do this(?). How do I do this with Lumia? 

Thanks Nokia for making this easy. This is the first timein my life that I've had to ask questions from a manufacturers discussion board. 

Moderators notes: Profanity removed, and unfounded accusations.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pkoponen

Re: HOWTO: Connect laptop to internet using Lumia

My laptop is a Windows 7. 

How do I do this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pkoponen

The Phone is Nokia Lumia 800 and I've been using cable to connect the phone to the laptop

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pkoponen

This should be simple basic feature. Anyone? 

Please use plain text.
Professor

jesus christ.

you cant do it.

try googling it. lumia doesnt have tethereing support as of now.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pkoponen

Thanksfor the reply. 

You can't be serious? i've tried googling it but it's complete waste of time. Isn't tethering when you use phone as WLAN station (don't really know the technical terms even ...). 

This is the most important feature in addition to phonecalls and text messages.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oneFinn

pkoponen,

Nokia has told (in private support messages, for example) that Lumia will support Internet tehtering in a future update. No timeframe yet i'm afraid, let's hope soon. Shouldn't be a difficult task.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

It was obvious before the Lumia 800 was even release that it didn't have internet sharing enabled. Not only was it obvious... it made news. There are numerous articles online about it and speculations as to when it would be made available.

Your temper tantrum would be appropriate, had it been a secret that ICS was not available... but it wasn't. You're overreacting.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pkoponen

Well ... I've had internet through my phone from 2005 or so. 

I don't have the time, energy, motivation or interest to even try and find out about the features etc. For technies, geekes or people otherwise interested in these things I can imagine this might be a point of view that you just don't get. Phones equal something that use daily and expect them to work. 

You don't buy a phone and think "should I check the features and make sure that I can call with my phone". 

This is complete **bleep** and my last post on this topic, my last Nokia phone ever and also the final day of me owning Nokia stock. 

Goodbye and Good luck. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

And I've had internet through my phone since 2003. What's your point?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Yury_A

anseio wrote:

And I've had internet through my phone since 2003. What's your point?

His point is pretty good and solid one. The only reason internet sharing is not included in 800 is for marketing purposes so they could sell more 900's. Had I known, when I was purchasing phone in December, that till this day there wouldn't be internet sharing support, I would never bought this stupid phone. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
anseio

But we've known since at least the first week of November that Internet Sharing was not enabled on the device. The only hope was that it was "coming soon". I rely on my phone for tethering as well, yet I bought it anyway. I knew what I was getting into. I just don't understand how such a fit can be thrown over such a hotly contested issue. It's not like the lack of Internet Sharing was a secret.

It won't sell a 900 to me. I don't like that the screen isn't curved, as in the 800. It's also going to be a bit big for me. When ICS becomes available, I'll be selling my UK variant and purchasing a NAM variant instead.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher

[ Edited ]

"You don't buy a phone and think "should I check the features and make sure that I can call with my phone". "

There is your problem, you shouldn't buy anything like this without reading up on it. first.

Why did you even buy this phone, there are plenty of alternative phones on the market?

Internet tethering isn't a standard feature on phones (iPhone never had tethering till version 4 either.) If this is important to you, you should check to see if the phone has it first.

Many carriers don't allow it either.

This phone is well documented as not having it and that it is coming some point in the future.

You should maybe do a little research before buying expensive phones and then ranting about how it doesn't have the features you want.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
WPMango

No need to use any cable...enable internet sharing in settings and connect thru wifi...works for me

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
joonas21

I have the same problem now with new Lumia 920 ...used to do this so easy with e7 and PC suite.
Please use plain text.
Pankajk28

You can connect your lumia to your pc or laptop using Tethering. Follow these steps:

1. First Start tethering and connect it to your Pc or Laptop ( As you do it through android or some other device)

2. After that it will show LIMITED CONNECTION.

3.Select your device from wireless setting and GOTO Properties-> SECURITY-> ADVANCE SETTING.

4. ENABLE federal information processing Standards(FIPS). And Restart your pc.

5. ENJOY

Please use plain text.